Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day one

My co-worker and I decided to start running again. Our ultimate goal is to complete a marathon in November 2008. Both of us are in sad sorry shape. To make sure I was ready to start I got my self a gym membership, new running shoes, and new clothes that cover the post partum flap and rolls. I was ready to get started.

Alarm blew that morning at 5:00 AM, I rolled over hit snooze and slept until 6:30. Shit! Already off to a *wonderful* start. I raced around the house throwing stuff in my bags because heaven forbid that I am ready the night before.

I got to work, and emailed my co-worker an apology email for oversleeping and not meeting her. I told her I would do the workout tonight. She maybe a military gal, but she is easy going and laid back. She was fine with it. But I have a feeling I will not get off so easy next time.

Since I decided to workout than evening instead, I went out to get coffee. To celebrate the couch to marathon kickoff day, I indulged in the gingerbread at Caribou. OMG!!!!!! Who knew that food could make you moan. I had a full blown foodgasm. I wasn't even ashmed when I got busted licking the pastry paper. I bet that cake alone was 1000 calories. It didn't matter, I was working out after work. Lunch and dinner were not any better....Taco Johns and Wendy's. It was definately triple threat thursday having fast food for all three meals. mmmmmm....I wonder why I am fat.

Finally....I am ready to run. I started out at 7:30 pm and began at a slow jog. My first thought was this really isn't too bad. Then I hit the second block. I was winded and my legs cramped up. I walked the third block, then ran two more, walked one, and so on. In total I went 1.2 miles and was out for 25 minutes.

It is amazing how a body can change over time. Last year at this time, I was probably close the best shape of my life. A baby, 2 major surgeries, and 30lbs later....here I am starting from scratch. The flap that hangs off of my midsection formerly know as my stomach sway from side to side and the junk in my trunk jiggles like a bowl full of jelly. With every step I take, I wonder if I will ever get to where I was the year before.

It felt so good to be out there again. I love the feeling of the cool night air and how it makes your cheeks rosy. I love that I can only hear my own panting and the pounding of my feet rather than screeching kids. I may have a long journey ahead of me, but today I took the first steps.

1 comment:

Viv said...

Glad you got outthere that night. I know what you mean about hearing your own sounds vs the kiddos at times. I am looking forward to following u through this awesome journey!