Monday, November 5, 2007

Fat Girl Running!

What is one more blog about running? This blog is my place to rave, vent, and track my progress with training and my weight loss (hoping there will be some).

Once upon a time, I was a skinny girl who loved to run. I ran cross country and track in high school...and I have to admit, I wasn't have bad when I trained. Then came college, where my new love was eating pizza and drinking beer. It didn't take long for the scale to jump to numbers I never thought I was see.

I might have been a decent runner in high school, but I was not even close to being good enough to compete at the Big 10 level. I ran here and there, but it was an episode of Seinfeld that made me hang up my running shoes. I don't remember when I heard it, but he stated,
"You go to the health club, you see all these people and they’re working out; they’re training, they’re getting in shape. But nobody’s really getting in shape for anything. In modern society, you really don’t have to be physically strong to do anything."

He had a point, So I closed the door on running or any sort of fitness for that matter.

Fast Forward to 2001. The scale is now well above 200lbs. I got a phone call from my high school friend and she tried talking me into running the Twin Cities Marathon. Me, I am always up for a challenge, so I accepted. I did it!!!! I finished and I finished 20 minutes before they shut down the course!

I call myself the fat runner because I don't look like a "typical" runner. I don't have washboard abs or weigh 120lbs. I am tall, pushing 2 bills, I am armed with DD boobs and a 2 digit pant size. Someday, I may know what it is like to thin and fit. But for now, I am the fat girl running.

1 comment:

Kola said...

I'm a fat girl running, too. I'm also from the Twin Cities and it's great to read someone else's experience. Thanks for sharing them!