Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Getting Friendly with the Treadmill

I am almost afraid to say this, but I actually almost LIKED my treadmill workout yesterday. I did a 5 min warm up and 5 cool down an then was able to run at a pretty good clip (fast for me) for 20 minutes. I could have kept going however, I only have 30 minutes of workout time before heading into the office.

I borrowed an idea from Yasmin, a fellow blogger. I read in her blog about how she adjusted the incline level on the treadmill to 1.0 rather than 0.0. Unless it is my mind playing tricks on me, I didn't feel as much stress on my knees and hips. I was also able to run faster than I usually do on the machine. Thanks Yasmin for the suggestion!

I am trying something new on the weight loss front. I am cutting out sweets. Pop, candy, cake, donuts....GONE. These items don't really go hand and hand with my weight loss journey but I always allowed points for them. I am starting this venture today. I tried to make yesterday day one, but someone at work handed me a plate with a slice of cake on it. I could not say no. I was like I was an alcoholic being handed a drink. I hope by getting off of the junk, saying no will be easier to do.

It is another fun inside day in Minnesota. Wind chill is close to -40 degrees today. Argh. Monday I was outside in just a sweatshirt as it was pushing 50 degrees...above zero. Today there are schools that are closed because of the temperature. WHY DO I LIVE HERE!?!?!?!?!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Running Knitter said...

Good for you for cutting out sweets! Be strong and don't give in to peer pressure. I've cut them out too, and so far so good. Keep it up!

Viv said...

OMG that is flipin freezing. Way to go on the nice TM run. It is so cool how we have others to share tips that work for them and work out for us.
I know what you mean by the sweets, I always save for the skinny cow or hostess 100 calorie junk. Gotta quit that fo sho.
Thanks for your sweet comment, Carly. You inspire me too, all us WeWa chicks gotta stick together
:-)

Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by! I can't even imagine those temps, and I complain with NY weather LOL

Go for you with the sweets! Geez, I wish I had the will power to do the same :-/

Tammy said...

Hmmm... it's sweets and bread for me!

Oh, and I will apologize to you Minnesotans for complaining that it was in the teens here last night. Brrr!

Yasmin said...

I think I'm still going to complain about the rain and my low 40s. I can't fathom temps that low.

I'm glad the treadmill trick worked for you. I've heard all sorts of reasons why it feels different, all I know is that it works for me.