Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cutting to the Core

What a difference a day makes. I am in a much better mood today. I took advantage of my insomnia this morning and went for a run. It was still cold but I actually saw a puddle of WATER, not ice, but water. I am so excited about our low double digit heat wave.

Now that is it getting lighter out in the morning, I think I am ready to add Wednesdays to my early running routine. It is a great feeling to be able to cross the workout off the list before I get started with my day. Plus, I don't have to get up at 5AM. I can sleep in....until 6AM that is. There isn't a lot of cars on the road at that hour and my neighborhood is quiet. With the exception of a face full of school bus exhaust, it was a perfect run today.

I tried something new today. I ran while concentrating on controlling my core muscles. As I have mentioned before, I am incredibly weak in this area because of all the times I have been under the knife. It was tough to control. I had a harder time regulating my breathing and keeping the form. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I felt less pressure on my knees and hips. Is this something that all runners do? Is this something I should have been doing all along? Whatever the case, I am going to work on using these muscles more to see if it improves my overall running.

4 comments:

ThickChick said...

I have to ALWAYS remind myself to concentrate on my form - to hold in my core, to not hunch over (I'm a MAJOR huncher!), to control my breathing, etc. Sometimes I like it though - when I'm feeling like I want to stop I just turn all of my focus to my form and I can often get myself back into a 'zone'.

Anyway, good luck with the core stuff, I think that's a problem spot for so many of us!

Marcy said...

My core is crazy weak LOL. I know, I know, I know the benefits of getting it into shape but core work is right on top of the list of things I hate to do :-/ Good for you!! ;D ;D

Viv said...

Awesome that you had a great run this morning! Looks like it fits your schedule like a glove. Becareful with that heat wave ;-)
I know nada about the core. I just look down at this stuff, I tuck in to my pants and think, I need to get a job to get that taken care of with a side of nice non floppy boobs :(

Tammy said...

*giggling at Viv!*

So glad you were able to get out and enjoy the heat wave this morning!