Monday, February 25, 2008

Spirit of the Marathon

As expected, Spirit of the Marathon was awesome! This movie captured every aspect and emotion of what 26.2 miles does to a person. I felt I could relate to each of the runners' experiences. I was truly amazed that the first time runner and the elite runner have so much in common when it comes to tackling the marathon.

I was so inspired by all the athletes and their stories. Their determination and completion of their goals made me very excited for all my upcoming races, including the full marathon in November. I do have to say, although I am ready to experience the rush of racing again, I was reminded of how much blood, sweat, and tears go into a training schedule. Like anything else, it is something to take day by day.

This movie was something only a runner could appreciate. When I announced that I was going to be seeing this flick people either yawned or rolled their eyes. I came home wanted to rehash the highlights with my husband. It was no surprise that his face went blank as I was giving him the rundown. It is a similar reaction that he gets from me when he spouts off football stats or updates me on current events (I am not a news junkie).

It has been one week since I have completed a real workout. This bug that infected our house really got us down. I am feeling better but I am still exhausted. I took it easy this weekend and did a run/walk around Lake Nokomis. I certainly hope my energy level returns soon. There is one more week until the official training program starts for the Get in Gear 10K. I plan on starting this week for good measure.

5 comments:

Viv said...

Glad everyone is on the upswing at the casa carly. Yea, that movie was inspiring. Can't wait to keep up with ya through the 10k training :)

Marcy said...

LMAO! this sentence pretty much sums up my house as well

"I came home wanted to rehash the highlights with my husband. It was no surprise that his face went blank as I was giving him the rundown. It is a similar reaction that he gets from me when he spouts off football stats or updates me on current events (I am not a news junkie)."

Gotta love it. He tells me his football nonsense and I act like I'm interested but yet I can't get the same response in return when it comes to running *sigh* LOL

Yasmin said...

Um, I like football and it's usually me spouting off things that DH could care less about.

I was so inspired to run a marathon after that movie. I'm definately going to train for one before I get preggo.

Pokey said...

I always tell my hubby that me rehashing each and every mile of a race is NO different than him telling me about every SINGLE flipping hole of golf he plays!!! Somehow, he still doesnt get it :P

Men!

P.O.M. said...

I really want to see it. Hopefully it will come out on Netflix.

My bf would totally glaze over if I tried to talk about it with him, too.