Sunday, February 3, 2008

Watch the Birdie

On today's run I got flipped off for NO reason. It was a guy driving a Direct TV truck. I was standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross a busy street. I had to look around to see if there was anyone else that could have been on the receiving end of this man's fury. Nope, the bird was directed right at me. I can't figure out why. I didn't jet out into traffic, I didn't throw rocks at his truck, I wasn't anywhere near him.....I just was waiting to cross the street. Fucker. It pissed me off.

That incident made me run faster because I was irritated. When I got home and called the company to voice my concern about the rude gesture and extreme lack of professionalism for someone representing their company. I am sure their customer service people were rolling their eyes at my phone call tattling on one of their technicians. But I felt like I needed to piss and moan about it, especially since a good chunk of my hard earned income goes to the Direct TV bill each month.

I am not sensitive or easily offended. The truth is, I have been getting flipped off quite a bit lately. It usually occurs at least once a run. Because the sidewalks are so slick, I run on the street opposite traffic. I am in no way interfering with oncoming vehicles. You would not believe the people who honk with distain, swerve to "scare" you, or in this case today, flip me the bird. Why do people have it out for runners? I don't understand why this is even an issue, I sure hope it is not people reacting to what I look like in running tights.

Despite the asshole, the run went pretty well. I went almost 3 miles at what felt like a good pace. I am still not officially timing my runs, I base it on how I feel. I had only had one quick walk break that lasted about a minute. We have less than 2 weeks until our first 5K of the season. I am so close to being able to do the distance without stopping. I will be ready by then.

Even though I had a great run, I had WAY too much caffeine this morning. It made me feel jittery and sick. My morning wake up cocktail is a Cafe Americano (4 shots of esspresso and hot water!). Normally it doesn't do much to me, but today I thought my heart was going to explode. Might be time to tone down the caffeine before a run.

8 comments:

Running Knitter said...

Good for you for not letting that jerk affect your run. I can't run on the concrete sidewalks here, so I'm always running in the street against the traffic. I'm sure we're pissing people off together. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you I have been docked two weeks pay and cannot do any installations in your neighborhood. I was simply trying to tell you that you are the best runner that I have ever seen but I do not have my first two fingers on that hand so it may come off as flipping you the bird.

Thanks a lot.

Stace said...

Hey Carly, I ran into a jerk this weekend too. They seem to get bolder as the weather gets warmer. Way to not let it get to you!

Tammy said...

That would have really irritated me, too. I KNEW there was a reason I have Dish Network!!

Viv said...

I wonder what eff was his problem. UGH! I can totally see why you had to vent it somewhere. i might have cancelled my service and been really mad if they tried to charge me an early cancel fee. I would be like take your fee from that tech's check. LOL!
Nice job on the run, Carly. This 5K is gonna be in the bag for you!
You have every right to be on the street.

P.O.M. said...

HA - I totally would have called and tattled too. or at least I would THINK about it and never get around to it. ha ha.

Pokey said...

Great job on getting the mileage done - I find that I run the best when I am angry!!! :P Not sure what that says about me, LOL!!!!!

your brother said...

wow, usually you are the one flicking people off...