Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stress and Eating

I am on the Parent Advisory Council at my son's school. We are two weeks out from a big event that is thrown every year. Not only am I part of the planning committee, I am doing a photography presentation. If it is one thing that I have, it is the gift of gab......except in front of an audience. I think I could win world's worst public speaker. Seriously, it is like watching a train wreck, I studder, shake, and I sweat like a whore in church.

The stress is kind of getting to me. Have I started this presentation? I think you know the answer to this question....no, not really. I have a skeleton of an outline and no clue how to use PowerPoint. I have so much to do and I am running out of time. I need to also take a boat load of photos to go along with this presentation. I don't know why I do this to myself. I certainly do not work well under this kind of pressure.

I admit it. I am am stress eater. My inner fat girl took over the situation and I landed in a bag of chips and vat of ice cream. During my brain storming session, I polished off almost an entire bag of chips. I know I have some serious issues. I am hoping that admitting this for the world to see will give me enough public humiliation to scare me straight and to find another way to constructively deal with stress.

Unfortunately I am not a stress runner. When my world is not quite right, I cannot get moving. I physically get sick to my stomach and my legs turn to dead weight while I am trying to run. Instead, I need to obsess about things rather than get out and clear my head. I have to figure out how run off my stress instead faceplanting into carbs.

I have not run since Saturday...but I am planning on getting out there. Tomorrow.

5 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Carly: I'm an expert presenter as it's part of my job (university lecturer).

A website that has heaps of great tips is:

http://sixminutes.dlugan.com/

The key with presentations is just be yourself.

Stace said...

Hey Carly, you can do it!! We can work on it together, if you want. I give briefings for a (second) living so no sweat! Also looking forward to visiting the site Andrew recommended!
Remember, the audience wants you to do well, so everyone in that room is going to be on your side : )

Laura N said...

Oh girl I hate to hear you've got all that stress going on. You are not alone in the eating to soothe yourself stuff. That's how I abuse food, too. Sometimes it's what I need and I use it, like any other addict only my drug is legal. But then I go on and get back on track. You will do the same.

You'll get through your presentation and be GREAT and then you will be back on track. Hopefully you can get a run in, too, because that will definitely make you feel better.

HUGS!

Viv said...

Carly, I fall under the stress eater category. I fall into almost all eating categories..LOL! You are doing really great with your WL, so keep it up. Hang in there with all this presentaion preperation. I hope you can get out for a run today and maybe it will stike up a bunch of creative juices, which you have already!
You will do great :-)

Pokey said...

Many of us have *issues* Carly...so you're never alone ;)

You will get back on track and do GREAT!!!!!