Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mental Health Day

Yesterday, I played hooky from work. Well actually it was a scheduled and approved vacation day, I just can't lie to the boss. I needed a day to regroup because I have been falling apart because I am so disorganized. I have been such a space case that I threw away my cell phone (it is gone forever) and I paid my Visa late because I simply forgot. I need to get back on track before I really mess something up.

I thought by having a day I would be able to pull everything together. Ha! The only thing I got accomplished was attending a school picnic with my son and a 2.75 mile run. I didn't come close to completing the laundry list of things I wanted to get done. Oh well. Even though I didn't do anything yesterday, a light bulb went off in my head.

I HAVE TOO MUCH GOING ON.

DUH!
I want to do so many things and I love staying busy BUT, I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Things that I love to do have become things that I HAVE to do. My half marathon for example was stressing me out because I am so far behind in training. I know I am not going to shatter any records with this race. I chose to try the half because:

1. I am getting back into running
2. It is in my hometown
3. Grandma's is a really fun race.

Fun. That is the key word. Even if I am not the fittest one on the course, I will still do it and still have fun.

Going back to the topic of running. I am having a hard time lately. Motivation is not the problem this time. I just feel like lead, I get horrible side aches, and the dry heaves. I AM NOT PREGNANT! I know that there are always bad runs, but this has happened for the last 4 times. I am not giving up, it just could be a bad week training. I feel like I can't push through to the next level. Any suggestions?

I am going strong with my resolve to get up in the morning and run before I get my day started. My neighborhood is like bad reality TV. I am excited to get out in the morning to see what comes my way.....it always makes good blogging topics as you cannot make this stuff up. Today did not disappoint. On my home stretch, I heard something following me. I turned around and it was a woman on a bike. It was one of those old 3 speed bikes and she was biking slow while her child was jogging to the bus stop. The funny part about this is, she was wearing her purse around her neck (like a necklace) and she was smoking with no hands. I just about had to stop because I was going to pee my pants from laughing. Another day in my 'hood!!

6 comments:

RunningNan said...

OMIGOD. That is so funny. I have this visual of the bike riding lady. It's amazing to me how she didn't fall!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Great visual of the smoking purse lady. LOL!

Marcy said...

Carly you totally need to bring your camera around yo 'hood LOL That shiz is waayyyy too funny!

As for the dry heaves, are you running too fast? I don't know what to tell you?!?

Tammy said...

That is too much! Wearing her purse like a necklace? LOL!

Stace said...

Hilarious description of the smoking purse lady! I hope you at least relaxed a little on your day off : )

Viv said...

I agree keep the 1/2 fun. Listen to other peoples conversation, bring you camera not the big one a little one. Run/walk whatever just make it a great weekend :-)