Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Progress not Perfection"

That is a quote from the Body for Life for Women book.* It sort of struck a chord with me because I do shoot for perfection. If I don't do something perfect, I either fixate on it or say screw it and give up. I am changing that right now, I am focusing on mini steps and doing things well *most* of time.

Today is day 3 of getting up and working out before I start my day. I got a bit lazy when my alarm went off at 5AM, I fell asleep for another half hour. I finally got my arse out of bed did my run at 6:15AM. Not bad but I was crunched for time because I needed to be home so my husband could go to work. Even though I didn't stick to my original plan of getting up at 5AM, I still went out and did 2.75 miles this morning (I ran the whole way too). This is progress in my book. Normally I would just chalk it up to sleeping in and not do it.

Thanks again for all the cyber kicks in the pants. It helps me climb back up on the wagon. You all are right, I am going to focus on one change at a time. I think I have always set myself up to fail because I try to change everything all at once. When I screw up by missing a workout or eat something that is not healthy I throw in the towel. It is bad cycle that I have been stuck in for most of my adult life. So, 5AM workouts are my new focus. At least I will keep Caribou Coffee in business because I will require the caffeine.

*Since I was a sucker for Rodale's marketing team, I am going to make sure I read every page and share my knowledge.

9 comments:

Yasmin said...

Whooo hoo for getting up early to run.

I pretend I want to do that, but I need to find a job that starts later in the day.

I understand what you're talking about and the one change at a time is a mantra of mine. Sometimes changing everything can get overwhelming, which is why I never finish organizing or cleaning my house...

Viv said...

Progress indeed...up 3 days in a row at the crack of dawn to run is working on perfection :-)

I completely relate I want to be skinny and run fast, by ummm yesterday. It will come with forward progression.

Keep it up, Carly. I BELIEVE!

shelley said...

If you can get up at 5 am to work out that is a huge accomplishment.

I really wish I could wake my arse up and run in the morning. I go to bed each night thinking I will do that, but inevitably I end up doing my workout at 9 pm when everyone else has gone to sleep.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Woohoo!

Andrew is getting fit said...

I love that quote!

RunningNan said...

great job~ 2.75 is still an accomplishment! I've been going back up on the scale, with running 5 miles a day. Time to do something!

Marcy said...

You're awesome Carly!! ;D ;D YOU SO CAN DO THIS!!! ;D ;D

Tammy said...

Way to go, Carly!

Getting up at 5am sucks. Today was day 1 for me.

Laura N said...

Great attitude, Carly. And wow, 3 days up in the a.m.! You are my hero. Have a great weekend!