Thursday, May 22, 2008

There Are Still Good People in this World

Let me pose a question,

If someone you know is sick, would you help them?

I think most people would say OF COURSE!

What if they needed a liver transplant?
What if the person in need isn't a family member or a close friend?


I know my knee jerk response would be "FOR SURE, anything I can do to help".....but then I start to think of surgery, and the recovery, and the fact that I really like my liver (especially for as much as I drink), I think about the missed work and the missed runs. How long will it take me to get back to my "normal" self? My selfish side kicks in. My for sure YES turned into a "only as a last resort".

I ask this question because my friend (a fellow runner and avid reader) made the life changing decision to help another person. Today, my friend donated part her liver to a mother of one of her friends. When she heard that her friend's mom was sick, she immediately started the procedure to see if she was a match. She was. After several long months of testing, the surgery took place this morning.

So much of what we hear on the news is doom and gloom. I am happy to report there are still compassionate caring people out in the world. She did not do it for recognition, attention, or any other self serving reason. She just said, "If it was my mom, I would want someone to help". In fact, she seemed a bit peeved when someone brought up the idea of contacting the local media. I told her I would pee my pants laughing if I saw her on Dateline!

I am still waiting for news on how the transplant went from her husband. No news yet. I hope and pray that both women had a successful surgery and I wish them a speedy recovery. Knowing my friend, she probably is walking laps in the hallways by now and timing her splits. She is one tough and selfless cookie!

I am planning a visit to the hospital armed with gossip magazines and junk food later this week. I am temped to challenge her to a race around the hospital floor, that way maybe I can beat her just once. Only kidding....I will let her have a week to recover.

11 comments:

RunningNan said...

What a beautiful person she is. The gift of life is the biggest and best thing anyone can ask for. I'm an avid supporter of organ donation. My dad needed a heart, and if it were possible, I would've given him mine!

Please give your friend a hug for me! I wish them both a speedy recovery!!!

Marcy said...

What a selfless person :-) Awesome, awesome, awesome. I wish them both a quick recovery.

It's funny that this topic comes up because just yesterday I got my papers from the NY Dept Of Health putting me into the donor registry. Hell, if I'm already dead what use is it rotting away in a coffin. Might as well give it up to someone who needs it :-)

Viv said...

That is an amazing person. Before my Aunt passed away while waiting for a liver transplant. We all, my Mom, myself her son all wanted to donate 1/2 of our liver to regenrate in her. she refused she said she did not want our future health to be jeopordized. I miss my aunt every day and wish she would have taken 1/2 my liver to be here. It would be worth it to me.

For a stranger I don't know if I could have made the same offer. I am a donor.

I hope your friend and the reciepnt have a strong recovery and that all goes well.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I'm a donor, but I don't know if I could be as selfless as your friend for a stranger.

What a true blessing she is.

Running Knitter said...

Thank you for sharing that story. We don't hear enough good stories like that. Hope they both have a speedy recovery.

Tammy said...

Wow! What a truly selfless person she is.

I am also a donor, but don't know how I would feel if it were a stranger. That would be tough.

Thanks for sharing this and letting us all know that people like your friend are out there.

Jade Lady said...

What an awesome person your friend is - 3 cheers for her! No, make that 100 cheers! Your friend is a selfless and very brave person to undergo such surgery. I hope she and the recipient of the liver will be ok soon!

Thank you for posting this story about your friend - It makes me recognize that I need to look at things more selflessly.

Laura N said...

What a selfless gift. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a good weekend, Carly!

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Geez, what a great person to have as a friend.

MaryFran said...

Thank you so much for this post, for two reasons. Number one because it renews my faith in the human race. But secondly it reminds me to 'go that extra mile' myself.

Anonymous said...

Well stated Carly. I'm still completely blown away by her selfless act. We are all better people because we have her in our lives.

I cannot wait for the day when I can run that first 5k with her, her husband, and you. And I have no doubt she'll still run circles around me.

Marc (the recipient's son)