Monday, June 23, 2008

Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon Race Report

I woke up Saturday morning and asked myself "How the HELL I am going to run 13.1 miles today?". My training was very spotty and I didn't get out to do many scheduled long runs. On top of not being properly trained, I was EXHAUSTED! Baby Diva is cutting teeth and was up most of Thursday and Friday night. I did not get the rest I needed. As I dragged myself out of bed at 4AM, I told myself "Just cross the finish line!".

I was not nervous. I did not have my normal race OCD or the weird pit in my stomach. I had everything I needed laid out and ready to go. I tip-toed around the house to get dressed and ate my pre-race PB&J. I grabbed my bleary eyed hubby and a cup of coffee and we were off.

My husband was kind enough to drop me off at the starting line. He really didn't have a choice in the matter. Unfortunately he had to leave right away because there was no place to park. I was by myself and I felt like dead girl walking. Still I was not nervous, but I was kind of sad. Sad because I thought I was going to be lonely. I had nobody to run with. I saw all these groups of friends and families in their pre-race huddles laughing and having a great time. I was a bit envious that I didn't have a buddy. I thought I was going to die not having anyone to talk to and not having music to keep me motivated. I really wanted someone there with me to share the experience.

The gun went off but I didn't hear it. I just followed the crowd as we inched forward and eventually we hit the starting line. The first mile was wall to wall people and it was a slow jog at best. Some of the gridlock was cause by people not lined up in the proper chutes. I had to dodge groups of walkers that had their groups lined up across the course. That is kind of a pet peeve of mine. Finally, I got into my groove and before I knew it I had just passed mile marker 3.

I don't have a mile by mile report. The course overlooked Lake Superior and was beautiful. The weather was great, warm yet not hot and there was a nice breeze. The spectators were awesome and they lined the course. Their spirit and enthusiasm kept me motivated to run the whole time. We had guest appearances from Elvis and Schrek and there were some great musicians that help pick up the pace. Since Ipods were forbidden, I got my kicks out of the conversations around me. I heard a lot of political banter as many runners chose to make a statement on their clothes and others would comment on it. The group of guys behind me had me cracking up as they were jabbing each other and quoting movie lines. There were people meeting for the first time and there were multi-generational groups. It was all enough to keep me entertained the whole time.

By mile 6 I developed a strategy. There was going to be aid stations at every mile marker from six on. I allowed myself to walk through the water station and then pick up the pace to run to the next one. I ran the first half of the mile at a comfortable pace and then I would speed up. Seemed to work because I never really hit the wall. By mile 12, I knew I was going to finish. I rounded the corner after the last aid station and started passing people. I held strong and gave it all I had for the finish. I could not have been happier to finish. As an added bonus, I came in under my goal time. (Yes, secretly I had a goal time of 2:30.)
Gun time was 2:29:00
Chip time was 2:24:03
(Not too shabby for an out of shape chubby chick)

Woo Hoo! I finished!!!!!

Race Bling

Post race goodness

23 comments:

Steelerkelly said...

WTG Carly! You did great!

Kaeti said...

Congrats! You rock!

Viv said...

Keeping that secret goal time from us...you sneaky woman. LOL!

Great job Carly, You did amazing! I think you need to edit your post out a shape?! I beg to differ my pal.

Jen said...

Congrats, Carly! You did awesome. Don't be sad - next year I'll come up and run it with ya.

Diario de Elysia said...

I felt the same way Ccarly, I so wanted someone to run my first half with me.

Awesome time!

Delane said...

WTG Carly!!!

Last time I posted a goal I blew it..I'm all about not posting goals time.

Your time was fantastic

Anonymous said...

WORK THAT SH%T!!!!

-Jay Zass

Stace said...

Congratulations! Wish I could have been there with you in body, not just spirit. Way to push yourself to meet your goal!
Yay, rah rah, Carly!!!

Marcy said...

HOLY CRAP CARLY!! That is AWESOME!! A most spectacular job!! ;D ;D I'm mad impressed!

So when is the next one? :P LMAO!

Marcy said...

Last one was me, urgghh wrong account though LOL

paige said...

Great Job CC!

I agree with Viv, out of shape my ass! You did a 1/2 woman!

Running Knitter said...

Yay! You did it! Congrats!

RooBabs said...

That is so awesome! Way to go!!

smellyshelley said...

Yeah! You did it...I hate running by myself too in those races. Especially when there are those cutesie groups all color coordinated and chatting like it is nothing.

Good job still pulling it off even though you didn't feel prepared. It would have been easy to back out and you stuck to it! Awesome.

chia said...

I would so be a running buddy if there wasn't that huge lake betwixt us :-D! We're about the same pace too!

RunningNan said...

Way to go! I was wondering how it went... I'm going to do the half in the fall just to prove to myself just how much my life has changed for the better. You rock!

Non-Runner Nancy said...

NICE RUNNING. I'd kill to do 2:30 :D

Susan (aka Suba) said...

Carly, congratulations!!!

Oh, and I'd kill for your blue eyes!

Andrew is getting fit said...

I love the bling! Well done, you did awesome!

Lily on the Road said...

Holy, that was fast!! Way to GO!!!

Robin said...

Awesome job, Carly! I'm very impressed!

Laura N said...

Carly! You ROCK!!! What a great race. Congratulations!

thebets said...

YEAH Carly! Way to go girl!