Saturday, June 7, 2008

Guess What I Did?

I ran 9 miles this morning!!!! This is the longest run that I have done in 2 years. It was a long SLOW one which I guess is the way long runs are supposed to be done. At least I am telling myself that. If I can run my 10 miler next weekend, I should be good to go for my half marathon on June 21st. By good to go, I mean I should be able to finish the race.

I looked down at my Garmin at I was over 30 minutes for 3 miles and I started telling myself "I su.....". I stopped it right there. I set out to do mileage not go out to set a new PR. I am behind in my training and I have to focus on endurance at this point. Once I told myself I could be slow, my run was very enjoyable. I felt like I got a great workout and I completed my goal of 9 miles.

While I was running at the lake today, there was a race is progress. The people running are total nut jobs (in a good way). They are extreme runners. The race is the Fans 24 hour race. These people run around the same lake for 12-24 hours. I have a hard time just doing one lap, I can't imagine doing the same thing for 24 hours!! This is one race I don't care to ever do.

I had heard about this race from an ultra-marathoner who spoke to us in running class. This woman did this race whilst in LABOR!!!!!!! She made it 62 laps before she went in to birth her child. Ummmm, I thought I was going to die walking from my house to my car when labor started. I can't imagine running 9 months pregnant, let alone having contractions. Sure enough, as I was doing my lap around the lake today, I saw this lady and I believe she lapped me. Ha!

During my 1:44 minutes of running, I had a lot of time to think and reflect on my week. I have been having a hard time lately and I have been filled with self-doubt. It started with 2 really bad photo shoots where not one of the photos turned out and it spiraled into me telling myself that I am failure, I can't do anything right, and I just simply suck.

On Thursday, I was telling my hair stylist about my failed shoots and he said "it happens". He (being the God of hair in my opinion) had to redo 4 haircuts in one week. I gasped in horror because I can't believe he would do anything other than perfect work. He just said, "chalk it up to being off on your game and take it as a learning experience". He was totally right. Somedays/weeks are just like that. Take the kick in the pants and move on. Fretting about it is useless. This is some of the best advice I have been given in a long time.

He also gave me a bit of brutal honesty. I guess my shoes are not the only thing that needs a make over. My hair was horrible and he told me it was time to lose the mom-do. This was like getting punched in the gut because my hair is the only thing lately that has style. But he was right,I did let it go and it did look frumpy. Now, I am back to being the blonde I was born with and I have a cute short do again. Thank you Matthew for bringing me back to reality!!!

14 comments:

Stace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stace said...

OMG! I thought your hair was cute. Can't wait to see the new 'do! Congrats on the nine miles, and, if you are an adherent to the Lydiard method, long runs should be deliberately slooow! Great job, you are going to do so well at the half!

Running Knitter said...

Good job on the nine miler. Long runs are supposed to be slow so you've got the right mind set. :)

Andrew is getting fit said...

Congratulations! I did the same thing this morning for the first time too!

Marcy said...

WHAT?!?! Running while in labor?!? I mean I guess it helps the baby come down, right? But can you imagine? "Ummm at this next aid station I think I'm gonna take off and give birth to my child, k?" What in tha?!?!

Viv said...

Running while in labor? Make sure you biatch punch me if you ever hear me doing something so crazy.

Yea on the new do'! When do we get some pics of the new hair??

I am glad you set yourself straight on that long run. That 1/2 is going to be great. I am so happy you were able to tie it all together in time. You are going to do awesome!!

Jade Lady said...

Congrats on the 9 miler! That's wonderful. And, I wholeheartedly agree with your hair stylist on off days - I get down on myself too, and then I'm back in my game. It happens from time to time...thanks for admitting to being human!

Ultra runners are the the ultimate to me! Unbelievable how a pregnant woman could run just before going in to the hospital to deliver! It takes all kinds of people!

D10 said...

Good job on running the 9. Glad to hear you didn't let yourself get mentally out of the run; way to stay strong.

You'll have to post pictures of the new do! And, keep taking photos, I am sure you are great at it.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Woohoo on the 9 miles.

Um ... I don't want to imagine labor in a hospital let alone on a race course. Nuts!

We need pics of the new do, please!

Kelly said...

Great job on the 9 miles Carly! Congrats on the new haircut too.

thebets said...

Your hairdresser is wise. Oh...and post a pick of your new do! Congrat's on your long run too!

Laura N said...

Great job on the 9, Carly! You'll do an excellent job at the half, don't worry about it. Aren't hairdressers the best? I love mine, too.

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Hey, 9 is quite a feat. Good for you.

Maybe I should get Matthew's number? :D

daphne said...


if you don't have time for workouts and still want to lose weight, you can try Garcinia Cambogia Extract! I lose weight and so happy about it!

I'll certainly add it to my diet recipes! Thanks!