Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Heat is On

Finally our real summer has arrived. We have had 2 days in a row in the mid 90's. It is sticky and humid. I love summer and I am happy that it is here because before you know it I will be bitching about another 6 month Minnesota winter.

Today I packed up the kids and took them to the country club (aka municipal pool). We were all going stir crazy because it got too hot to run in the backyard so we were cooped up in the A/C all day. When we got to the pool my boys jumped into the water like a couple of hoodlums. They were running and splashing and having a grand time. It didn't take them long to make a friend. The mother of their friend was standing nearby holding a baby which I later found out was 6 months old. We chit chatted and watched our kids splash in the pool. THEN whilst we were mid sentence she whips out the teat and starts feeding the munchkin. Right. In. The. Pool.

Now before people get La Leche League to jump all over me, I am an advocate of feeding from the tap. I even did it with a couple of my own kiddos. I don't even mind peeps that do it in public...if they can do it, more power to them. I personally prefer to be more discrete. But in the pool? Really? What is wrong with with the shady chair under the umbrella? I am hercking at the thought of breast milk in the water along with all the urine. *shudder*

My middle child came up to us and thought it would be funny to splash us. Unfortunately my breast feeding buddy had leave the pool to dry off her hungry baby. She did finish her feeding in a chair under that shady umbrella. I don't know what is wrong with him, it must be because he was formula fed.

Speaking of the pool.....I had to put on my bathing suit. One word.....MOTIVATION! Holy moly do I need to stay focused on this program. I was just waiting for one of the teenagers to shout "That's a huge bitch"(Thank you Duece Bigalow, Male Gigolo). Between today swim suit and yesterday's "camel toe" workout shorts, I am not likely to do a faceplant into a bag of chips. I refuse to buy new stuff.....this stuff is stretchy for crying out loud. I will deal with it until I get thin.

12 comments:

Marcy said...

What? I used to just flop them on the table in the restaurant and let the kid go at it. ROFLMAO KIDDING! Nah I know what you mean. I also get kinda taken aback when a Mom just flops them out. Blanket for a little privacy anyone? No? oooohhhhhkay then LOL

MCM Mama said...

I'll admit to being pretty crunchy on this particular issue (I've nursed pretty much everywhere), but even I'm going "EWWW!" Considering how "clean" pool water is, I wouldn't feed my big kids in the pool, much less nurse a baby in it.

Stace said...

Um, I won't comment on that since I don't yet have kids to breast feed. Let's just say I'm loathe to even swim in public water, let alone feed a child in it. I did, however, flop one out at Valley Fair, but that was an accident, not a feeding.
As far as getting into the shorts and the swim suit, I hope you don't forget to bring your walking shoes because we WILL be exercising on lunch and I would hate to force you onto the streets in your dress shoes!

Lily on the Road said...

Yes, I hear you...there is a fine line for boobie dining...not everyone is forward thinking, let alone spillage in a public pool.

oh well at least she got up and headed for the shady spot...

RunningNan said...

Wow. I don't know what I would've done either. I felt odd when my one friend did it at her house in front of me. Thankfully, I won't ever have to deal with that.

RunningNan said...

Wow. I don't know what I would've done either. I felt odd when my one friend did it at her house in front of me. Thankfully, I won't ever have to deal with that.

paige said...

I'm LMAO @ the Deuce reference! I was feeling the same way when we went to the beach. My thoughts: When am I EVER gonna see any of these peeps again and my DH sees me nekkid all the time so big woop LOL

I'm also skeeved out by the whiping out of boobage in the pool. Once I was talking to another mom during DD's Tumble Bunnies class and in mid conversation she just whips it out...Was hard to hide my horror.

I have an old friend that was so discreat that she could shove her kid under her shirt,while keeping eye contact with you and you'd never know what she was doing until you happened to look down. Then again she had 4 kids and was well practiced LOL

I was also a BFing mom but the thought of all the other stuff that would be exposed along with my boobage kept me super private about it. I wasn't ashamed of my boobs, but God forbid anyone see the barge I was pushing! My wee babies were never big enough to cover that shit up!

Tammy said...

Wow. Right in the pool. Hmmm...

I'm right there with ya on the swimsuit front. I can't even wear most of my stretchy running shorts these days!

RooBabs said...

All I can say is Thank Heaven for the regular dose of Carly Comedy! Not to laugh at your trials and tribulations, but how can we help it?

I would definitely be weirded out by someone whipping it out to feed their kid in a pool (or anywhere, for that matter). I'm all for breast-feeding, but do you have to show everyone? Then again, maybe I'm just scarred for life ever since that 3rd grade field trip to the zoo (you don't want to know).

AKA Alice said...

Yeah...I'll ditto everyone on the breast-feeding in the pool thing. My sis-in-law whipped out her boobage during a wedding CEREMONY recently...couldn't believe it. I offered her my shawl two or three times to cover herself. She just shook me off saying she was fine (rolling my eyes...whatever).

I pretty much nursed two kids anywhere too, but I would cover myself and the babe...especially since it was always SUCH A THRILL when the baby would get distracted by something nearby and wanted to look around an nurse simultaneously...GOODBYE NIPPLE...

Viv said...

OK I forgot to tell you I am a huge La Leche advocate and children must be fed the goodness of their mother wherever and whenever their souls require.

Please girl I fed my wild child formula it was just convienent and even though I could prolly flop one of my boobs in the diaper bag while in motion it just not me. I alwyas feel odd when people do that and you are talking to them. I mean what does one say??

I love Deuce Bigalow, the hubby and I see say that all the time that's a big bitch. He went out with some classics...LOL!

chia said...

Um, eww. That's like dipping your glass in the toilet before pouring the milk. Not to mention it's kind of obscure to be like "blah blah blah nice to meet you here is my lefty."