Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday's Health Epiphany

I think I am in love! I love my new chiropractor. I got another adjustment today and I feel great. Today I after I was adjusted she did some muscle work on my strained calf. OMG.....it was the WORST pain I have ever had in my life!!!! I think I actually blacked out. She said that I have a pretty bad muscle strain and that was causing the shin pain....not shin splints. OK, I admit I am not always right on WebMD. I am going in again for some more muscle work and then with a little more rest I should (hope) I will be back in line to start exercising.

Did you notice I said "exercising" as opposed to running and training? I am starting from the ground up. I am trying something new called building a base and getting fit. I hear it works!! ha! I have nothing to prove by going out an running a long distance race with very little training. I *know* I can do it it and I have done it several times, but it is really really dumb. It takes me a few times (OK a hundred times) to make stupid mistakes before I learn. This whole sitting on the sidelines injured crap really sucks. So when I get the green light to start "exercising", I will be doing a garden variety of activities cardio, stretching, and strength. A regular running routine is my goal. For now, I dusted of the balance ball and I am doing my PT exercises.

I am taking the same approach to my diet. I am working on cleaning it up. I am not focusing on how much weight I want to lose, I just need to eat better. Hopefully the weight loss will be an added benefit. After this bought of food poisoning, I am seriously thinking of becoming a vegetarian. I know that will never happen because I am a carnivore to the core, but I am at least going to be more picky about what I eat. *shudder* I never ever want this crud again! I have never seen my husband so green in my entire life. Thankfully we are getting back to normal.

I am fully aware that my so called epiphany is common sense to most people. I am living the definition of insanity as I keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. I am injured (again) and my traineo ticker has not moved in months. Hmmm, why do I even question why I am not making progress. I am not allowing myself to sign up for anything longer than a 5k for a few months and I am cutting down on the processed garbage that I eat. Now that I am not nauseous every time I see food, I am coming up with my meal plan and I am getting thy ass to the grocery store tonight if it kills me!

Did this new chiropractor crack some sense into me?

10 comments:

Running Knitter said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend and will be exercising again soon.

Mom said...

I'm glad your foot is getting better. I will join you in your commitment to eat healthier and exercise more.....sorry about the food poisoning!!

RooBabs said...

Good for you, Carly! Your plan sounds great.

Maybe it wasn't that the chiropractor cracked some sense into you, but that by getting aligned, your body and mind can now function more clearly (or something like that- ha ha). Like you said, it's common sense, but sometimes we "can't see the forest for the trees".

Good luck with everything!

Marcy said...

Alright Carly!! Sounds like you're on the up and up ;D ;D Sweet! Now get back to your regular sass :P

chia said...

It's crazy talk like that which makes me predict a triathlon in your near future ;-).

Heal happy!!!

Julia said...

Good plan, Carly.

*waiting for my epiphany*

RunningNan said...

Hey.. we've all had that epiphany before... No worries! I wonder if that's what's wrong with my leg. hmmmm

Lily on the Road said...

Less is best, for awhile anyway...take great care of yourself...

Steve Stenzel said...

HA! Yep, a good chiropractor is KEY!! I just found one myself...

Edaline said...

Thanks for writing this.