Saturday, July 19, 2008

Well Duh!

Today I had not one but two light bulbs go off in my head. Most people know about the stuff that I am just now learning.....but I am SLOW!

I discovered the library today. I do KNOW what they are but I never realized what a great resource they were. (DUH!) I always equated library with school and haven't stepped foot into one since college. Even when I was a student, I only used the library once as I was frantically writing my senior thesis the night before it was due (got an A as well). Since college I forgot about this resource and never gave it a second thought even though I have one less than a 1/4 mile from my house.

I have been struggling with some Photoshop techniques and I was going go buy a reference manual. I didn't really like the idea of spending $30 on a book that may or may not help me, so I thought I would go to the library. Not only did I find what I wanted, I discovered the health and fitness section. There were books on cross-training, running techniques, and best off all nutrition. I will never spend another dime on a book that I may only skim through.

My other discovery was the calories burned read out on my Garmin. For the first time I saw that my workout was no match for my sub sandwich I had for lunch. I would have had to do the same workout at least 3 times to burn off the sub that I ate. Ugh...guestimating can really bite you in the ass when trying to lose weight. It was an eye opener.

About the workout......I did a 2.5 mile run/walk today. I thought today would be a good test for the leg and foot. I only allowed myself a one mile run. It was slow but I felt no pain. For that I am grateful and I truly hope that this means I am on the mend. I am not pushing it because being injured sucks!

16 comments:

Running Knitter said...

Glad to hear you had a pain free run and are on the mend. Hope you are back at 100% soon!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Heh! I can't enjoy my snacks anymore. Now that I know it will take a long run to compensate!

Marcy said...

LMAO I feel the same way about the library. God, I probably could save so much money/have less junk in this house if I only utilized it.

AKA Alice said...

Barnes and Noble has replaced the library in my life...which is much more expensive! Hmmmm...library...what an idea. (See, you're not the only slow one!)

Lily on the Road said...

Good for you, the library is the way to go!

smellyshelley said...

My older daughter and I discovered we can get books on cd at the libary then download them onto our ipods...tres cool.

Glad your foot is better!

paige said...

Woo Hoo for feeling better.

I used to love the library when I was able to read a book in 2 or 3 days. Those days were over with little Miss Madison and I got tired of paying late fees. *sigh* I miss my library.

Tammy said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend...

I just learned about the library last Summer. My daughter has become such a bookworm, and it was either library or bankrupcy!

MaryFran said...

Sorry to hear that you have been miscalculating how much you have to workout to negate the food consumption. Hopefully realizing the difference will take away the urge to eat it! Ok, so that only works some of the time for me!

chia said...

Hooraaaaay baby steps :-)! Glad the 2.5 treated you well girly!

Congrats on the lib! Ours has this system where you can search for the books you want online and reserve them/have them delivered from another lib. I do that quite frequently so I don't have to actually look for anything whilst actually wearing pants.

Viv said...

Great news on the run feeling muo betta for you. Here is another new tidbit after several tests held at The Institude of Viv the garmin low balls the cal burn.

The Young Family said...

I ditto Chia's comment about the library I order most my books online and then pick them up at the library just down the street. No dewy decimal searching for me!

Glad you are pain free! I can relate to you on that front first run back after toe - I kept waiting for it to hurt! When it didn't hurt, I thought, shouldn't it? lol weird I know.

Em

RunningNan said...

Don't forget they have DVD's too! Doesn't it suck when it bites you in the ass?

Kelly said...

What is this...library?....you speak of?? Do they deliver for free like Amazon??

lmao

I also have a love/hate relationship with those A HA! moments especially when they dont go my way...

thebets said...

I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend! I've been MIA in the blogsphere for a while and didn't even know you were hurt : (. I'll have to go back in your blogs and find out what happened!

I love the library! I usually just go to the bookstore, find books that look good and write down the titles, then go to the library and check them out. It saves a lot of money!

Non-Runner Nancy said...

Catching up on your old posts and LMAO. Glad the chiro is working out for your foot and glad your work out buddy is back. I totally know what you mean on the calories burned issue. I can go kill myself for 400 calories and often think how easily this can be undone. Hang in there!