Friday, August 1, 2008

1 Year Ago

Have you ever been in the right place, at the right time? On August 1st 2007, I could not have been more blessed being in the right place. Through divine intervention or just plain luck I was not on the 35W bridge when it went collapsed into the Mississippi River. Even to this day, it seems surreal....How the hell does a bridge just fall down like that?

I normally take 35W home from work each day that I am in the office. I work until 5:45 and would hit the bridge between 6:00 and 6:05 PM (the time it went down). As I was leaving work that day, I was ticked off because of all the construction backing up traffic so I couldn't go my normal route. I grumbled and took an alternate way home pissing and moaning the whole way. It wasn't until I got home that I heard about the bridge from frantic friends and family calling to see if I was OK. If you only knew how thankful I was for the "annoying" construction.

It is hard to believe that it already has been a year since this tragedy. Staci and walked today at lunch and walked over the adjacent bridge. We got to see the new and hopefully improved bridge. The progress they are making is amazing and it is scheduled to open up next month. People have been working nonstop for almost a year to get this major artery back up and running. Although the dust has settled and it is no longer major national news, I often think about how horrible that day was. I feel so much sorrow for the families that lost loved ones yet so grateful that I got lucky.

15 comments:

MizFit said...

it is that weird survivor guilt huh?

(weird feeling...not to feel)

and yet, looking back on your luckiness, it seems youve not become complacent either.
that youve seized life/your year and appreciated/made the most of it.

that's all you can do, huh?

Marcy said...

Wow that's crazy! Driving over bridges freaks me out for that very reason. I always hold my breath til we're over :-/ I guess sometimes "annoyances" are blessings in disguise, huh?

MCM Mama said...

Isn't weird how sometimes a seemingly small decision can have a huge impact on our lives? I remember hearing about it because I have family who, like you, used to use the bridge regularly. Thankfully, they weren't on it either.

RooBabs said...

I tend to lean toward divine intervention- everything happens for a reason. Hindsight is always 20/20, right? I'm glad that you were one of the lucky ones, and my heart goes out to the families of those who were not so lucky.

A (somewhat grim) reminder to seize the day, and be grateful for life. Have a good weekend.

RunMomma said...

Everything happens for a reason, good or bad. I know that all of us that read your blob are very glad you decided not to take that bridge that day. :D

Tammy said...

Wow. I remember when this happened. Very scary. Thank goodness for that annoying construction!

I'm also a big believer in 'everything happens for a reason.'

paige said...

I'm going with divine intervention...wow CC...wow.

Dawn said...

A year ago already? I remember that too, since DH travels over it when he goes to MN. He was travelling then (in MN as luck would have it), and I remember calling him nonstop until he answered the phone "DO NOT TAKE I-35 ON YOUR WAY HOME!"

Luckily he wasn't going to, but it was scary.

I'm glad they're nearing completion, ang glad you're safe!

AKA Alice said...

Wow...that was a year ago? I don't know if things like that are fate, or luck, or some combination of the two, but it does force us to do what we should be doing anyway, which is to count our blessings, right? It sounds like that just what you've been doing this year

Viv said...

It still freaks me out how little changes in your day changed you life. Life is so amazing how we all have a plan lied out bigger then us. anywhoo I am getting deeo which gets scary.

Stace said...

Just thinking about it brings back all the anxiety of madly dialing everyone's number to see if they were all okay before the phones went down. I am still so glad you did not take that route!

D10 said...

It is funny how even the smallest of decisions in our life can hold so much. Glad you are here with us today.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Wow Carly! Life is strange like that. I'm glad you had annoyances that day and didn't cross the bridge.

Feenicks said...

That was such a horrible thing, I can't believe it was a year ago!

Thank goodness you got re-routed b/c of construction!

Lily on the Road said...

I remember watching that on the news and now that I 'know' you, yikes, that is just too scary!

Divine intervention....glad you weren't on it!