Wednesday, August 6, 2008

20 Minutes

Today I tried something new that I hope to make a part of my regular routine. I gave myself 20 minutes to just sit and do nothing. I would not allow myself to do any of the following:
  • eat
  • work
  • anything related to house work
  • talk on the phone
  • be on the computer
  • return emails
  • play with my camera
  • play with the kids
  • think about weight loss
  • think about my ginormous to-do list

Those are normally things that I do when the kids are napping or there is a break in the action. Today I grabbed my August Runner's World that I haven't had a chance to read yet and headed out to the deck to sit in the sun. It was heavenly and I can't believe how relaxed I feel after just a short amount of time.

I have to be honest sitting without doing anything is hard for me to do. I got up 3 times to see how much time was left on the timer. This might be a key piece to my weight loss success. I am crazy most of the time and need to have my plate full all the time. I am not willing to let anything go so I am constantly frazzled. Maybe if I make time to relax I will be less likely to dive into a bag of chips. Hey...it is worth a try.

15 comments:

RooBabs said...

I think you're onto something- sounds like a great plan!! Reading magazines is my favorite downtime activity. I just wish I had more downtime.

Feenicks said...

Great idea, Carly! It's so rare that we take time for ourselves. Enjoy it!

Running Knitter said...

excellent idea! I may have to try that myself.

Marcy said...

I *heart* just chilling out in the sun with a good mag, if even for 20 minutes. It IS a nice little relaxer. Almost as good as hitting the bottle LOL JK!

AKA Alice said...

LOVE IT!

The Young Family said...

I love it! Although it should be 2hours!

Em

MizFit said...

man I think it's hard for ALL OF US (which is why so many get in the car and, when they (we? I? :)) are alone IMMEDIATELY turn on radio and grab the cell).

GREAT PLAN and step so far...

D10 said...

I think it is a great idea. You have so much going on you should take 20 for yourself. Enjoy it.

Shosh said...

Good for you! It's so important to be able to do nothing and be comfortable doing it.

Enjoy it!!

Mark Salinas said...

Take time for yourself...the weather in MN is nice!

chia said...

It's these stolen moments that add years to our lives ;-). Good call Carly!

ncrunner12 said...

Sounds like a really great idea. There really is nothing like taking time out for you and just chill. It seems like Mexico has the whole "siesta" thing down, maybe we could learn something from that.

Stace said...

What a great idea!
Especially now when things are unusually hectic, and the weather is ideal : )

Nicole said...

What a fantastic idea! I think I may need to try this...

Lanceman said...

Important stuff. I too have a hard time "doing nothing". But, when I do, I find that to be my most productive time of the day. Not in the sense of getting some project done, but in the sense that I've taken time to understand myself better. And...I need to do it more often. Thanks for the reminder.