Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Poor Co-Workers

I am fermenting in my sweat and after lunch is over, I hope people stay far away. I am only armed with a travel size deodorant and paper towels to freshen up. We walked at lunch again today and I was not prepared for today's journey.

I wasn't planning on walking today. I was just going to sit at my desk and surf the net to catch up with my blogging buddies. Staci was not having it, she brought in reinforcements and I was pushed out the door. Stephanie another coworker of ours was telling us about her walking route....a 4 mile route. I was thinking "Oh. HELL. NO." Staci's eyes lit up and she was determined that we were going to do this walk. She is flipping crazy. Since I am kind of afraid of her, I went. The three of us set out and 53 minutes later, we returned to the office. Four miles in in 53 minutes. I do not even run that fast.

Note to self: Bring workout clothes to walk in or I will be sitting in sweaty clothes for the rest of the day. Those girls are not out for a leisurely stroll...they mean business.

I do have to say that the route is awesome! If it is one thing that I like about my job, it is the endless opportunities to get exercise. The last half of the walk was a pretty steep hill. Even though today's walk just about killed me, I can see this being an enjoyable workout when I am in a bit better shape.

In other news, I stumbled on to a new website to help track my fitness goals. I am probably the last person in the world to hear about Spark People, but I am finding it really cool! It is a site that tracks my nutrition and fitness as well as other goals that I set for myself. I am completely obsessed with Spark Points which are little rewards for visiting the site. I don't think you win anything from the points, but I still like collecting them. It is the little things in life that make me tick.

I am doing my push ups and abs tomorrow. I am behind.

15 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great job. How lucky you are to have buddies to walk with and a great route to follow. Buddies make it more fun and can help keep each other motivated and on track.

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! Oooohhh Carly you would not even want to see me after that. I am a sweaty beast, I feel ya. I'd be airing my pits by the AC or something.

Ooohhh I'm gonna have to check out that site. Never heard of it before.

mcm mama said...

That is some fast walking! I don't think I CAN walk that fast. I'd end up jogging...

Lunchtime is a great time to get a workout in, but I always hated the red-faced sweaty look I had for the next few hours.

Lily on the Road said...

Yikes, I'd need more than travel size if I did that walk...way to GO!!

RooBabs said...

Hahahaha. You sweaty thing, you. I would be horrible after doing a power walk session like that. Plus, I think I would catch pneumonia coming back into work with soaking wet clothes and sitting in the a/c building.

That's great about Spark People. I've heard about it before, but never checked it out, as I use FitDay.com to track my food journal. But I've heard really good things about it.

AKA Alice said...

I was a little overwhelmed by Spark People...there certainly is a LOT of info and resources there...maybe too much? Be careful about signing up for any of their newsletters or your email inbox will be full, full, full!

Sephora makes a great face wipe. I use it after all my workouts, but it might be just what you need for those gnarly-lunch race-walks! (not too expensive either...about $10)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

that's some fast walking!! definately bring a change of clothes next time.

Shosh said...

WOW that's a great pace! I am sitting here laughing at you hoping that people stay away from you.

At least next time you know you'll be prepared. Scary reinforcements are always the trick to getting you out the door.

Earning points is fun, even if you don't know what its for.

paige said...

Props to you AND your crazy ass buddies!

N.D. said...

That's awesome you have fitness buddies at work!! and can get out @ lunch. I haven't heard of that site, I will check it out.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Aah! That's so funny.

Cyndi said...

Funny! I always have to keep my lunch time walks to a 'moderate' workout just to avoid the sweaty-ness! That's nice you have some peeps to walk with too! Everyone in my office is so 'busy' (including me), that I am half inclined to start a once a week lunch time walk club just to force everyone out! Hmmmm...

Laura N said...

Holy cow, that is a FAST walk!! You know, I read (I think in RW?) that you burn more calories by walking fast than running slow--so, walking a 4.5 mph pace will burn more calories than jogging at a 4.5 mph pace. So looky there! A door is surely opened when that running door closed (it's not nailed shut, though. it will open again =).

Your coworkers? ROCK. I need them to come over to my house at 9 p.m. every night when I begin my evening stuff-my-pie-hole fest.

Love reading this stuff from you. Great job girl.

Stace said...

LMAO! Be afraid, be very afraid : )
And about your previous post - made me think of being a kid and lying down on my bed to zip up my Jordache jeans. Those babies were TIGHT!

Viv said...

LOL Does Staci wann come be my SAHM coworker to make sure i don;t try to take free passes.