Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rainy Days and August Always Get Me Down

*singing like Karen Carpenter minus the Anorexia part*

There is something about August that sends me into an annual funk. I can't really put my finger on what is truly bothering me. A funk in the summer? blasphemy! I love August, but the blues come this time every year. This year seems to be a little more blah than the last few years. Maybe it is how the air is starting to smell like fall. Or, it could be that my oldest son is starting "real" school and I am not prepared for it. Whatever the reason, it is raining today which just escalates the blah feeling.

I don't need a padded room yet, but I do need to do something as I am starting to drive my family crazy with my bitchiness. My plan for combating these Summertime Blues is going to be running. I know I was putting it on hold but I need the endorphins and the free therapy. I realize I am back to square one and I will have to start by running minutes and not miles. My injury is feeling better and if I take it slow it should be no problem. I am doing it purely for the mental benefits of a runners high. No races (for now), no worries about time, just getting back into it. I really miss running.

I am done feeling sorry for my injured self, I am done being jealous of all my running blogging buddies, and most important....I am done with this pity party!! I am dusting off the Sauconies, hooking G-man up, and I am off and running!

19 comments:

The Sorta Single mom said...

I too get those summertime blues. My "baby" just started 1st grade, thats all day, real school. Boo Hoo Hoo... I cried in the car for 10 minutes before realizing my oldest forgot his lunch at home so I had to go retrieve it and come back again. Before I got to my run it was already in the 90's. I just feel so run down and grumpy. I'm glad you're running again. I'm not really happy unless I have a goal that seems just out of my reach and I have to work really hard to get it done. Knowing that I signed up for the marathon program, I'm buying a new pair of shoes and some new running clothes just Ito fight off those August Grumpies.

Andrew is getting fit said...

It's all the friggin rain I tell ya!

Lily on the Road said...

I get that way too and all the rain we've had this summer, well it just doesn't feel like summer at all.

Shorter days and lack of sun just about kill me....cheer up...you're not alone!

RunningNan said...

It's not just you. I have been talking about the August blues for a long time. I've been this way since the 1st, and I really have no specific reason to be down. I just am. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

Shosh said...

That's the best way to beat the blues! Get out there and move. There is something about be outside that always picks me up and running will give you the high of doing something for yourself.

I hope it went well and that you're feeling better. Chin up!

Mark Salinas said...

The weather can do it! Keep moving...doing great!

AKA Alice said...

Oh yeah...it's everywhere, whether it's heat, the humidity, rain, other weather, whatevah... August Blues...GAH!

You're right about the endorphin thing. I love the happiness after then run, it's just the motivation to get out there that's lacking...

RooBabs said...

Running sounds like the perfect plan to get out of your slump. It will make you feel better in no time (just be sure to take it nice and easy).

BTW, I nominated you for a blog award, so check my site for the details. = )

Lanceman said...

Run easy out there.

There is something about a runners high, isn't there. I ran today (and I haven't really been running much this summer) - what a great feeling when I got done. I didn't realize how much I missed doing it until I've run now a couple of times in the past week.

Nicole said...

WOOT! But take it easy!

The "singing like Karen Carpenter" bit nearly made me pee my pants.

paige said...

You must have ESP and knew I needed to know I wasn't alone!

July is my month, but it seems to have trickled into August too.

Have to say though, that you succeeded in putting a HUGE smile on my face, with the Karen Carpenter reference.

August blues or not, it's good to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor !

Viv said...

LMAO at minus the Karen Carpenter aneroxiea.

Funny you say Summertime Blues is the name of the tri I am doing which hapenns to be in august, coincidence I think not. It is just the long summer for me with the kid driving me to drinking. Run sounds like the perfect thearpy!

BeachRunner said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Don't let the blues get you down. Glad to hear your injury is feeling better and you are getting out and running again. Take it slow and steady and beat those blahs!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm an oddball because I get that way in July - I think the heat and long days get to me.

My recommendation - lace up the shoes and head out the door. :)

p.s. thx for visiting my blog.

Kelly said...

Sorry that you are feeling down - that happens to me on occasion as well so I can relate. No real reason - just the way the wind is blowing or something!!!

Take it easy as you get back into your running. You will be back on track before you know it!

N.D. said...

Therapy and endorphins, you are not kidding! Not sure what I would do if I couldn't run!! Hang in there and get back into it soon!

The Young Family said...

Loved Karen Carpenter.....
Are we old? lol

Em

MizFit said...

heres to the free therapy.

for me it's weights.

but it's all the same.

Dawn said...

I get the same way. I have reasons for not liking August too much, but it also is the end of a long, hot summer, and before the start of school & fall, so it's kinda this "limbo month"