Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Motivation Found!

Today I found something to help me keep my give-a-damn while I work towards my fitness goals. I pulled out the big guns and tried on my jeans. I needed something that would pack more of a punch than the numbers on the scale. This really shook me back to reality as I could not pull them over my ass. Not even Crisco could get me into these things. I wish I could say they are my skinny jeans of my past, but they are the fat jeans I bought after I had Baby Diva. Now that is just wrong. I have about six weeks before I have HAVE to start wearing long pants and I will let my OCD take over from here. I am leaving those jeans out so I can try those suckers on until they can button comfortably. Even if I don't lose the weight they will be so stretched out that they should be comfortable.

Unfortunately I am not going to melt doing my exercise of choice. Truthfully, I am afraid to start running again. After two days of doing long walks my foot pain is back with vengeance. I am back on ice, doing my stretches, and I am going to call my chiropractor. I am also going to look into acupuncture to see if it will help this crap. Everyone said Plantar Faciitis was bitch to get rid of and now I am starting to believe it. So for now, I am a walker and there ain't nothin' wrong with that. Not being able to run is frustrating, but I would rather do it when I am fully recovered so I do not continue the injury cycle.

What is that saying....about doors closing and another one opening? That happened to me last night; we went to my son's school open house and I met a person handing out information about swimming programs. I asked her if many adults participated in the program and if they were new swimmers. She said the adults that take the class are there to work on technique and to train for triathlons. *Ping, light bulb went off in my head* I can't run right now, but I can swim. I am going to sign up for adult swimming lessons. I don't need to learn how to swim but I want to refine my strokes and work on my breathing. This has given me something new to be excited about and something to get over my frustration of not being able to run. I just hope I can get into the class.

I haven't been sitting around this week I have been doing a lot of walking. Monday my friend and I did 2 laps around Lake Nokomis which was about 5 (ish) miles. Yesterday I walked with "Sarge" aka Staci for 45 minutes at Lunch. I am not sure on the distance but we worked it. Then she made me do stairs at work a few times. I complete the steps 4 times. She is hardcore, If I stick with her I will be able to button those jeans in no time.

Push up and AB challenges are going slow. I just did the test yesterday for the 100 push up challenge. My result= 1 lousy push up. Today I am doing day one. I have not started my workouts for the AB challenge yet. I have no excuse except laziness. Today is the day....especially seeing the muffin top over the jeans.

15 comments:

Shosh said...

LOL. I have had moments like that. I put on a pair of my favorite capris from last summer on earlier this summer and they did not come over my butt either...it's so sad when that happens but keep walking and doing your challenges and you WILL be back into those jeans in no time. I promise.

I am also taking a swim class starting in September, we'll have to compare notes.

BeachRunner said...

Perhaps you can join and aqua fitness program in addition to the swim lessons? Pool walking and water aerobics are great exercise and very easy on the joints.

There is no need for you to run. Walking is what you should continue to do and be sure to slowly build up the distance or duration of your walks. Do not try to be hardcore or and do not over-exert, especially in these early stages. And feel free to ignore most of the good-intentioned (but unwise) advice you will get (including this).

I would suggest you never do two days in a row of walking or other exercise. Always have at least one rest/recovery day in between your workouts.

mcm mama said...

Ugh! I hate those "come to Jesus" moments when the fat pants don't fit and you realize what you are doing isn't working. Sounds like you have a good plan though!

I keep thinking about taking a swimming class, but I think I'm going to take ice skating this fall so that I can skate with Jones.

RooBabs said...

Ooooh, I feel your pain about the pants. Back in April when I went on a cruise, I pulled out my capris from last summer, and only one of them (the stretchy ones) fit! I wasn't about to pay full price for new ones that I hoped wouldn't fit within a few months, so I totally went to the thrift store and found 2 awesome pairs!

Too bad about your foot pain returning. Swimming sounds like a great idea, and keep up the walking. Until my knee feels better (and I get new shoes), I will be working the elliptical and walking.

Don't feel bad about the push-ups. That is why I haven't started it, because I don't want to know how few push-ups I can do. You are brave for trying it. And you've got to start somewhere.

Now about the abs- GET TO WORK, GIRL! It doesn't have to be anything dramatic or pain-inducing. Start small and simple and work your way "up".

Viv said...

I agree with Beachrunner on the aqua aerobics, it is a great non impact class. I teach my first class Thurs, so now I am like an aqua drug pusher. LOL!

Carly, it helped me a lot to not do high impact activites back to back. It is just the what helps me.

Good luck with the swimming.

Marcy said...

Swimming is an awesome sport to get into. Ummm hello Carly, you've been watching men's Olympic swimming right? If for nothing else, it will be to drool over some fine man flesh :P

TriJenPB said...

LOL on the muffin top! That is freakin hilarious! I suffered with a bout of PF last year when I started training for a 1/2 marathon. My doc had me do lots of calf stretches, sleep in boot that keeps you in a stretch and finally custom orthotics. Thank goodness no problems, but its very frustrating!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Best wishes with the swimming class. Swimming is a great idea!

Nicole said...

Suba has plantar facitis - she goes to an active release chiropractor - maybe ask her about it? she got into running recently...

Vegas, baby! Add that to your motivation "ooomph."

(You do realize I'm holding you to this trip, right?)

AKA Alice said...

Hooray for finding your mo-jo...

About the stretched out jeans? That sounds like something I'd think. Sad, but true...

Live Well said...

Hey thanks for doing the push-up challenge with us!! They get easier -- slowly but surely.

Keep working on getting into those jeans!! Visual reminders of my goal always help me!


thinkwellactwelllivewell.blogspot.com

Feenicks said...

I'm in the same boat with having to walk instead of run. It's frustrating because I was doing so well with running, but I needed the foot surgery, so what else could I do?

I've been thinking about swimming as well, but then I got a puppy and he's keeping me walking.

We'll get there!

RunningNan said...

let your foot heal! I think the swimming is an awesome thing. I would love to do it if i weren't afraid of deep water!

N.D. said...

That's great about the jeans- whatever works!! and I like the swimming idea!! woilaa!!

Laura N said...

I can hear it in your post--you are READY. Swimming will kick your ass into shape (and I am so jealous--I can't swim AT ALL--just enough to save my life if I had to--but DH does and he says it's an amazingly tough workout). What a fab idea to start training to get triathalon ready. I'm so sorry to hear about your foot. That bites big time. Increasing your walking distance & time will still burn those calories...it just takes longer than running. Hang in--you can do it!