Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our New Pets

I decided today that I am not going to whine about the 41 points I consumed before dinner. I am just going to file that under look it up before you you eat it. I am fell into the Chipotle trap and I thought I was a being so good. Eh. Waddaya gonna do? Live and learn. At least I walked on my lunch hour today for 40 minutes.

I have mentioned before that our pooch is sick and may not be long for this world. It is funny how many times that I have actually said that "this is it"....then she lives for another year. I am grateful we still have her and the boys are thrilled that they have their dog.

Since we know that the inevitable is coming, we got them transition pets. Yes, I bribed the squirrels to come to our yard by giving them critter food and peanuts. I am so smart; free pets that do not come in the house! I can't take the credit on this one. My mother is a squirrel fanatic and she has had "pet" squirrels for years.

They boys have a blast feeding their squirrels. They even have named them. The white one is "Pigger" and the gray one is "Alvin". Pigger is named after his Grandmothers beloved squirrel that would frequent her begging for peanuts. Pigger unfortunately had an early demise as it came face to face with the grill of a car. My mother still gets weepy thinking about her. Alvin is named after Alvin the Chipmunk. After 15 minutes of arguing with a 4 year old that squirrels were not chipmunks....I gave up and we had an Alvin.

These little bastards are greedy hoarders. My husband put a block of critter food out there for them to enjoy. As soon as we were out of their sight, "Alvin" was dragging the entire block of food away. That got my hubby fired up and he went out there to nailed it to the fence. All I am saying is that we have some crazy ass squirrels because he broke the block free and took it far far away. Now they are on a diet of peanuts and they come to the deck begging for them. What did we start????!!! Clearly we have too much time on our hands.

Enjoy the creepy pet pictures below.....

PIGGER
PIGGER SNEAKING UP ON THE FOOD
ALVIN (MAYBE ALVINA??? LOOKS LIKE SHE HAS A RACK)
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Marcy said...

OMFG CARLY HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAA I AM SO LMAO! You are one smart B! Now why didn't I think of this? "Free pets" Dang I could've saved good money (keeping a 25 cent fish alive costs a lot *rolls eyes*) if I just bought a $3 bag of peanuts.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Alvin looks like she could be PG.

MCM Mama said...

You guys are too funny.

We had "white butt squirrel" for the longest time ( a black squirrel with a white spot), but he unfortunately disappeared. The boys still get excited when they see a black squirrel since most of the squirrels around here are look like your "alvin".

Viv said...

LOL have you all tried to pet them??

Way to get over the Chipolte fiasco but now I am thinking I want Chipolte for lunch tomorrow. I'm eating like I am going to die after this tri it is gonna get serious on here. I am thinking even another Viv challenge

N.D. said...

Yikes the white one is creepy looking. How do you know how many points chipotle has in it? that's crazy. Move on, good idea! It was good right? Worth it!

your brother said...

and you teased me for playing with the neighborhood cats... at least they were actual pets...

AKA Alice said...

Really? White squirrels? All our squirrels out here are the grey variety... I soooo wasn't expecting to see a white squirrel. Sorta freaked me out...

BUT, you are being pretty clever with the "pets." I'd have never thought of that...

D10 said...

I never heard of squirrels as pets, but what a great idea!

Tammy said...

I love it! We tried the block of food for our squirrels, but it also vanished. We'll have to try the peanuts...

Jess said...

Oh my, that albino one freaks me out!

RunningNan said...

It's a good thing I'm reading this at work and not at home. I think my dog would've eaten my computer! On that note, don't let my dog at your house or your new pets will be goners. Nora has been hunting for me all week long. I'm getting scared as the leaves fall because the squirrels can't run as fast, and she gets them.

THey are totally cute though!

I'm also so sorry to hear about your inevitible loss. I am teary eyed just thinking about it!

BeachRunner said...

"Free pets" is truly brilliant. But I have to admit Pigger, the white squirrel, gives me the creeps.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

My mom feeds and names squirrels, ducks, etc. She says they are free pets, but I think she spends more time and money on them than I do on my dog and two cats. LOL.

We had a female squirrel visitor earlier this spring. she was either pregnant or nursing...I think it must have been pregnat b/c she disappeared for awhile then looked skinnier. never saw the babies though.

btw - the white squirrel is creepy looking. might give me nightmares. LOL

Pokey said...

The white one is definitely creeeeepy! Kinda rat-like, eh??

I think I'm just anti-rodent.

Squirrels ARE rodents, right?

(rambling tangent over now)

Laura N said...

That is hysterical! I have never seen an albino squirrel before...weird.

Do y'all have all your rabies shots? I'm just sayin'.....

RooBabs said...

Yikes- that albino squirrel is totally creepy. And funny about Alvin's rack!

Our idea of free pets is befriending the neighbor's cats. They're outdoor cats, so they come in our yard all the time. And we don't have to pay a cent.