Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pulling out the Skinnier than I am Now Pics..

Now that I am officially on the Weight Watching bandwagon I am doing everything I can think of to make this my last time going through the program. I pulled out my old program materials and reviewed my notes and journals. I looked at recent pictures that are screaming to be burned. Then I pulled out my photos of when I was well on my way to goal. Even though I had some more weight to lose I was getting pretty comfortable in my own skin.

The Motivational Photo
This photo was taken in May 2006 right before a race. I was about 10lbs from goal and I was starting to feel great. I could shop in normal stores and buy regular sizes. I was about a size 10 here. This picture is on my fridge to be my motivation to stay away from the ice cream.

A Tale of a Fat Bridesmaid

The photo of me in the dress is my proudest accomplishment to date...this one even out does finishing my first marathon. OK..that might be pushing it but the fact that this dress ended up on my body was nothing short of a miracle.

I was a bridesmaid in my friend Carly's wedding. We had originally ordered dresses from Ann Taylor and I was beyond thrilled because for the first time in my life I was able to shop there. Not only was I able to shop there, I bought I size 10 dress! I don't know what the reason was but the Ann Taylor dresses were not going to work out for the wedding so my friend picked another dress. This was to be ordered directly from the bridal shop.

I was bummed about my first purchase from Ann Taylor not going to work out, but I was excited about the idea of not have to pay for extra material for a bridesmaid dress just because I was fat. We didn't have a lot of time to get measured and unfortunately I didn't go in to get officially sized. I knew that these dresses ran small from my many experiences as a bridesmaid, so I ordered up 2 sizes. I thought I was being so smart knowing that these dresses ran small.

The dresses were delivered and I went to try it on. I was gleeful because I had been following Weight Watchers and I dropped a few more pounds since we ordered the dresses. I was sure that this dress would fall off of me. I couldn't get it on fast enough....but then I couldn't get it on at all. The zipper would even come close to zipping. That is when I had a full blown meltdown and everyone in the world knew about my dress dilemma.

The wedding was a month away. The bride had no clue of my issue and I had to lose several inches to get into this dress. The shitty part of bridesmaid dresses is that once you order, it is yours. Now I was stuck with this dress. I couldn't order another because it took 8 weeks to deliver. I did what every rational person does and I tried on the dress every day and Googled Anorexia tips. The eating disorder just wasn't going to work for me. I just spend a good chunk of change on braces and I wanted to keep my teeth. I was out of options so I just stuck with Weight Watchers like I was supposed to and a month later I fit into the dress and it worked out wonderful.*

*It didn't really work out wonderful. I tried on the dress one too many times and the zipper got stuck. My hubby came up with pliers and we had to break the damn thing to get it off. I was off to the tailor to get a new zipper the next day!


**what you don't see in the photo is the ginormous underwear holding all the fat in place. Also at one point I had to take the dress off to breathe. I looked good for photos and that was all that mattered.

I shared this story about the dress because I reviewed my notes from that time period and I didn't have to do anything dramatic to shed a few lbs. I still had my junk food fixes and I still had my cocktails. The three things that stood out to me the most in my journal was:
1. The fact that I kept a journal
2. I was religious about exercise
3. I made sensible choices MOST of the time but splurged when I wanted to. When I splurged, I got right back on track.

I am going to do what I did then and hope for similar results!

Today's Workout
I walked 4.36 miles whilst pushing Baby Diva. I felt great when I was done, but I would rather be running.

20 comments:

Running Knitter said...

You can do it! :)

TinaGirl said...

Glad you found some healthy motivation (you know after the whole eating disorder idea and all). Living without occational chocolate or cocktails is no way to live (you know, if you like those kinds of things *fade to me dreaming of chocolate and mojitos but maybe not together*).

So good luck with the journaling, the exercise holding yourself accountable. Off I go to eat some ice cream... damn the husband ate it all already.

audgepodge said...

Thanks for sharing your story - you can count on us to support you through this! :)

Sounds like you have a good plan - good luck and can't wait to hear about your progress.

AKA Alice said...

Bridesmaids dresses are just cruel...

Love the idea of finding motivational photos! You look great in both, and you'll get there again!

D10 said...

You sound like you are ready for this. Keep staying postive, know you can drop the weight, you are going to do this.

Marcy said...

Ohhh Carly I know you can do this. You have a great attitude, and I'm sure you're killer sense of humor will come in handy as well ;-)

Dawn said...

Great! I'm in WW also. It works as long as we work the program. But, having babies is hell on our bodies!

You'll get there!
(Great pics too, thanks for posting them!)

Stace said...

Hey Carly - you can do it! I will not let you down on the twice weekly workouts either : )

BeachRunner said...

Way to get motivated. You will do this.

Mark Salinas said...

Thank you for sharing...keep moving! Nice plan!

chia said...

I believe in you!

Shosh said...

I am so happy you're back at it!! You know that it works and you will no longer have dress freak outs.

I am here to support you every step of the way on this journey. You know that I love this program.

GREAT on walking that far with baby Diva leading the way (from the stroller).

Al's CL Reviews said...

You can do it!!!!!!

Great story about the dress.

Jess said...

You look great in both pics, so I'm sure they'll provide the necessary motivation you need! Best of luck.

P.O.M. said...

You can totally do it!

PS: The concert was seriously great. We had a VIP booth that was about 20 ft from stage and seated next to Exhibit and his crew. I think Kid even winked at me. Ok, maybe not. He was definately a hot trashy fun mess!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Those photos should be good motivation. You look great in both and you've been there in the past so you can get there again!!

Laura N said...

You can so totally do this. You can!

I just joined face book. Didn't I hear you call it crackbook a while back? You can search for me...it's laura nicholson in evansville. I need more friends. =)

RooBabs said...

Wow- those are great photos! Hello- look how skinny your legs were (are?)! That's great motivation. A little while back I put up a bunch of pics of me with skinny arms, 'cause I'm sick of the sausage chub that I've been sporting.

It totally sounds like you're ready for this change. And who cares if you have to pay someone else to keep you on the straight and narrow? Whatever works! Your plan looks awesome and way to go on the long walk with the Baby Diva.

Viv said...

Carly way to find the motivation girl!! I am just catching up with everyone and most peeps are WeWa gung ho while I keep stuffing. UGH! I know you can do it and you will, and you might inspire me to get back to point counting cause Lord knows I need it.

RunningNan said...

I love the walking mileage. I guess getting back to running is like getting back to work. THis is my second day back, and I've been reading blogs all morning. One thing at a time. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a phone call!