Monday, November 10, 2008

Planning, Part Deux

Yesterday I wrote that I need a plan to finally succeed at this weight loss. Thank you for all the suggestions and links. I secretly hoped that just talking about fitness and rejoining Weight Watchers would make the weight magically disappear. Since that is just a pipe dream, I actually need to plan my attack to once and for all get rid of the pudge.

The first thing I did was analyze my journals (when I keep them) and reviewed how I spend my days. I have always been amazed that I have a weight issue with as much running around as I do. I learned that I have not one but TWO danger zones where I have a tendency to chow down on anything not nailed down. These times are 2-5 PM and 8-10 PM. The other problem I discovered with my schedule is that the busier I get, the lazier I get about getting to the grocery store and planning my meals. It is just easier to grab something and it NEVER is healthy.


The other think I learned looking through my journals is that I don't eat enough veggies and lean protein. This is a challenge for me as I am highly allergic to many fruits and some vegetables, all poultry, and shellfish. I know I sound like a freak show, but it is true. I LOVE fruit but can only eat a minuscule variety. I can eat McDonald's with no ill effect but put peach in front of me and I could die. Where is the justice in that? Couldn't I at least have the never-get-fat gene? What does that leave? Carbs. I am a carb junkie!


As far as the running plan. I could not agree more that I need a schedule to follow. I can't wait for it to include races. But for now, I am back to the drawing board and starting over as a beginner runner. Since I am starting over as a runner, my workout aren't very high calorie burning. I am going to need to step it up and do more cross training via the gym or a workout DVD. I of course can't forget the two S's.....strength and stretching.


Ironically, I missed my C25K run last night as I had an allergic reaction to an apple. I had to pop a few Benedryl to counter the attack. I was so drowsy from the drugs I had to go to bed. I am so upset because apples are one of the fruits that I could eat. I have to scratch them off my list. I told you, I am a freak of nature. Really, who is allergic to the healthy stuff?

Today I am at home with Baby Diva. She was hacking like crazy this morning to the point of gagging but has since miraculously stopped. Oh well, I am enjoying my day with just her. At least I will have time to catch up on my blog stalking.

24 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow. All of those food allergies are definitely an obstacle! I think that it's an awesome thing that you're recognizing your weakness though - like times of day and certain circumstances where you end up 'being bad' - it's the only way to start fixing them.

What about seafood? Are you allergic to that? So much seafood is low in fat and high in protein - can be a great alternative to chicken!

BeachRunner said...

Your allergies are rough. But you are on the right track. Hang in there homeslice. It ain't easy, but it's not too hard for you to overcome.

Marlene said...

Planning is key for me. Good idea perusing your old journals and identifying your danger zones. I share your 8-10PM weakness. :S

That is just CRUEL that you are allergic to so many fruits & vegetables! (I'm sure you didn't mind as a kid...)

Laura N said...

You are allergic to apples?! OMG, girl. That is so not fair.

Losing weight is tough enough without all your restrictions. But if you could come up with a few standard meals, that are easy and/or freezable (make ahead, freeze in individual container to eat when you need them), it would make things much easier for you. When I am the most successful, it's when my meals are almost identical, day to day, and I stick to simple, easy, plain sameness. I do the make & freeze trick all the time. Ziplock freezer quart sized bags work great for everything. Good luck! You can do it!!

RunningNan said...

I would die if I was allergic to apples. I'm on my third of the day. Your post hits home. I need a plan in many areas of my life! Thanks!

Viv said...

That is cool how you broke down times and such in the jorurnal. Waht a great way to see where things are coming of the chain. It sounds like you have a solid plan, Carly. I know this journey here is a life long battle I have to fight.

I hope Baby Diva gets to feeling better soon.

chia said...

Maybe you should go on one of those low-allergen cleansing diets -- I have a thing on it around here somewhere and it's really specific on what you can and cannot eat. It's like a short list of allowed foods and the order in which you can re-introduce things like bread or dairy. There are substitutes to craving foods too -- let me know if you want me to dredge it up and I can e-mail you the junk on it.

Marcy said...

Dang Carly! I didn't realize you had such allergies to deal with. GAH! Isn't it hard enough to just eat healthy to begin with?!?

Marci said...

Your danger zones are mine too. I need to find a snack that works during that period.

MCM Mama said...

2-5 is a danger zone for me too. That's when I'm most likely to do a hoover imitation and inhale everything I can eat in the house.

Bummer on the apples. That's one of my foods I try to eat any time I feel a snack attack coming on.

I agree with Laura that I do best at weight loss when I decrease variety and do a bit of auto pilot.

Good luck!

michael said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

food allergies stink! i have food allergies and contact dermatitis so it seems like i'm allergic to everything - makes life a bit more challenging

i think its great you figuured out where your danger zones are. I'd start by regaining control of 8-10pm because as i understand it, you don't have any chance of working that stuff off - double whammy

Al's CL Reviews said...

Eek on the veggie allergies and the poultry allergies. At least I can eat chicken.

Good job at figuring your weaknesses.

Shosh said...

WOW you are allergic to lots of stuff. I know nothing about them but are they something that you can "grow out of", like something that you were allergic to as a kid you aren't anymore? Just asking.

Sometimes starting at the beginning is good. You get a fresh start and new goals. I think it's great that you're doing that. Make time for it and you will be rewarded. :-)

your brother said...

Apples now? WTF...

Vava said...

Man, I feel for you with all the food allergies. I find it difficult enough to eat healthy, planning meals, etc. and I don't have that obstacle. It does sound like you accomplish what you set your mind to, so with the planning thing you will succeed and you will attain your goals. Good luck!

Steve Stenzel said...

8-10 pm always gets me too. Good luck with the veggies!!

Shoe Running said...

oof...all those food allergies must be tough! I can't even imagine! It sounds like you've learned to cope and you are doing a good job figuring out how to lose weight despite the challenges :) Keep on working at it! You'll get there! :)

mommie2lea said...

I hope Baby Diva is feeling better!

It must be difficult to plan with all of your allergies. I hope your next C25K run goes well!

Cyndi said...

I have never heard of apple allergies! That is a bummer~ Apples have replaced my former M&M addiction....

I love how you are looking back on your journals to find the areas of weakness for you...it is a great example of how important and helpful food journaling can be when trying to lose weight!

Planning is the key - you are on the right track!

Jade Lady said...

wow, I never heard of fruit allergies. That must be hard.

Greg said...

Hey there, I just found your blog, and you're where I was in 2005. Keep it up, keep it up, keep it up! There's just so much to say but not enough space to say it in. Long story short, I lost 70 pounds BEFORE I started running. Now running is going to help keep it off. Keep it up. :)

Julianne said...

I think you're on the right track!! Reviewing your eating journal is brilliant. At least you know where you start... good thing you got the tools to make it right!

RooBabs said...

Okay, I've heard of the nut and shellfish allergies, but fruit?! Seriously? Yes, that is totally freaky! But we still love you.

And I know what you mean about getting busy and struggling with grocery shopping- I have that problem all the time (except it's not always busy-ness that gets me, it's laziness, ha ha).

Good luck with figuring out the protein and veggie thing. Maybe you could pick one day a week to buy a bunch of stuff and prep it into bite size servings (like carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers- whatever munchy stuff you're not allergic to and can grab during the danger hours... or have you tried edamame? it's great protein and totally easy plus it tastes pretty good)