Monday, November 10, 2008

Planning vs Just Doing It

I never put too much thought into something before I just do it. My "Just Do It" attitude usually works for me and it has opened up several doors of opportunity. I have never had time to doubt myself because of fear or negative consequences. Though most of the time I learn the hard way by falling flat on my face, I usually can get back up and keep going.

Lately things have changed for me. I am stuck. I am spinning my wheels. I just am not moving forward. Frustration has replaced my "I can do it" attitude. Why, why, why? I tried a few new things to get the ball rolling and I kept ending up in the same place. THEN... My A-HA moment (yes, I admit watching Oprah from time to time) came to me while I was sitting in a small business class. The instructor, a very gruff older man, was repeating the phrase "you MUST have a plan, YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN!". Then the light came shining down, harps were playing, and I got it. I need a plan.

You must being thinking....NO SHIT SHERLOCK, who the hell doesn't know that???!!! So I am a slow one and and as I mentioned I learn things the hard way. Ha! Planning is one of those things that I just don't get. Even the word kind of makes me break out into hives. When I do have one, I follow for a bit then it all falls apart if there is a change.

Why the Oprah-like post today? Well......my last weigh in at WW was not pretty. I stepped on and gasped in horror!!!!!!! Not only had I gained, I am OVER my starting Weight Watchers weight. My little C25K workouts were not match for the Halloween candy. Needless to say that this is not the direction I want to go.

What IS my plan? My PLAN for today is to make a PLAN to make this Weight Watchers PLAN work. I have posted a lot of ideas but never anything to make me stick to it. All you type A runner people out there, How do you make your plans? How do you make yourself stick to it? How do you adjust when the plan doesn't work?

(yes I am that inept in planning things dealing with myself)
C25K on deck for this evening. I may redo week one because of extreme temp changes and still dealing with some foot shenanigans.

16 comments:

Marcy said...

Oy, I am not a planner by nature so I'm no help. . . .

But hang in there chica. I'm sure you can steer the ship back on course ;-)

Viv said...

I am a planner but lately the WW plan is one I keep shedding away from. Come on Carly inspire me chickie, be my Oprah! Keep at that C25K...

Shoe Running said...

Oh, bummer about the Halloween curse! :(

I've struggled with being a bit chubby all my life too. I've got some terrible fat genes! I think what I always end up coming back to is just getting into a groove where I am working out a lot and I go totally cold turkey with "bad food" - if I have just one cookie, it's all over for me :) I'll eat the whole package, but if I don't eat any, I don't even think about it. My weight-loss hero is Dean Ornish. His diet is pretty hardcore (fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, that's about it), but it totally works for me and I never feel hungry. It is something I plan to stick with for the rest of my life, so I don't really think of it as a "diet", it's more of a life style change. I've been doing it for years now and I'm certain I'd weigh at least 50lbs more if I didn't.

Good luck Carly! Just get back in your groove :)

RunningNan said...

Wow. You must've been in my head 20 minutes ago in the locker room. I was thinking the same thing!

It's a good thing that you are going forward with a plan!

BeachRunner said...

Go for it, homegirl, and thank Oprah later. Rock that plan. Having a plan makes following through and sticking to a discipline that much easier.

AKA Alice said...

Healthy eating planning around the holidays...GAH!

I decided to run a 1/2 marathon in January because I figure I'll have the high-mileage weeks around the holidays...hopefully counterbalancing the food-fest. I don't plan to loose weight; hopefully I won't gain any either. When I feel really bad, I go back to the South Beach Diet. It's the only thing that ever worked for me.

Hang in there with the C25K plan and get back in the saddle with WeWa...You had a bad week at a tough time of year. (hee hee...I said "back in the saddle" that always makes me laugh)...

Jess said...

A plan for me evolves out of a race calendar. I must have races to train for, then I have purpose for running, and then I make myself a little schedule (I have a saved Word document with a grid, etc that I modify depending on the time of year, but generally with a 3-4 month schedule). Certainly "ze plan," as POM would refer to it, is open to modification or alteration, but I generally stick pretty close to each week's intended mileage and goals.

My plans and schedule go to shit when I don't have races to train for though. Typically, for me, that's in the summer since in FL, there's less than even a handful of 5Ks scheduled. For me, the busy running time of year is Oct-March. The opposite of the rest of the country.

Al's CL Reviews said...

The healthy eating...I have a spiral notebook. On one side, I have the menus of the week on it. As I'm making it, on the otherside I write all the ingredients down, and then go through the kitchcen crossing out what we already have. Then I have my grocery list.
Since usually my lunch is dinner the night before, I have to portion so I have something to eat.

For exercise, D and I had to start writing that down too.

tfh said...

Wow, I do exactly what Jess describes in her first paragraph. Boring and tedious as it sounds, when I was trying to change my diet I did the same thing with it-- planned my meals methodically, wrote it all down-- and while that only lasted a couple days, it helped me eat better because I knew I no longer wanted to have to do that again.

I love your description of the light/harps/"YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN" by the way. I could really use that in other respects of my life...career, for instance. Sigh.

workout mommy said...

my running plans used to involve races, I would get one on the calendar and work for it.

Now, thanks to an injury, my plan just involves doing something.
and trying to avoid that darn halloween candy too!

Danica said...

You're post was inspiring to me! Way to realize that you need a plan.. I forget that all to easily too.

D10 said...

Hang in there. I am sure once you write everything out and come up with a game plan things will start to roll.

MCM Mama said...

I'm not so good at planning, so I steal other people's plans LOL. For running, that means I find races and then find a training plan for that distance...

For eating, I try to plan before I got grocery shopping what meals and snacks I'll be eating through out the week. I don't always follow the plan exactly (ie, Monday's breakfast may happen on Tuesday, Wednesday's lunch may happen on another day, etc), but knowing what my breakfast options are, what my snack options are, and having those options in the house really helps me.

Julianne said...

Yay for a-ha moments! And yes, let's make a plan. Sometimes, we just need a road map to get to where we need to... That and well, commitment. I know you can do it!!! Gosh, I hate those weigh-ins at WW...

MizFit said...

my life is one BIG adjustment.

planning to go to the gym and Toddler throwing tantrum (or more likely my editor calls and needs a revision STAT)

it has taken me 40 years to learn to roll with it all.
dont be me.

:)

Single said...

There are two really good posts on zenhabits.net that have helped me with stuff like this:

http://zenhabits.net/2008/06/the-ultimate-guide-to-motivation-how-to-achieve-any-goal/

http://zenhabits.net/2008/09/really-simple-goal-setting/