Sunday, November 16, 2008

Running Hiatus

I swear my ass has become one with my chair this weekend. My laptop and I were best buddies as I have working on some photo stuff and getting pictures ready for Christmas. Most of my stuff is done and my computer is practically smoking from being on 24/7. Bleary-eyed from staring at a computer screen all weekend left me extremely unmotivated to do much of anything exercise related. So I didn't push it.

I kept saying to myself I HAVE to go for a run, I NEED to go for a run. I had the time but I could not make myself do it. Moving a mountain would have been easier than making me do my 30 walk/run workout.

Normally this is the paragraph where I start in on how over committed and unmotivated I am. I would whine about some bad food choices and make excuses for them. Of course I would have to throw in some hatred for the cold weather. Same verse as the first. Even I am tired of hearing myself.

Rather, I decided that this is not a good time for me to start the Couch to 5K program. I am extending my break from running. Why? I am trying to make too many changes at once right now. Running feels more like a chore right now rather than an activity that I love. I want to focus on following Weight Watchers and getting the scale to move in the right direction. Running will always be there for me to pick up. For now, I am sticking with walking.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I will be stalking your blogs later today.

15 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Good for you. It sounds like you know yourself well. Put it aside for sometime when you are less busy so that you can set yourself up for success with the return to running. And focus on WW now. Great plan!

Viv said...

Love this post Carly. We both know the WW part is the key crucial part. It will probably make the running easier to come at lighter...Way to step up and focus on a few things and succeed.

I am not focused on WW right now so I don't even bother instead of getting to this negative feeling for myself. It has to come within on whatever you want to do, right? Now I sound all philospical ( I can't even speel it)...

MCM Mama said...

Good for you, knowing what works. I have trouble changing my workouts and eating right at the same time. And for fun, I'm trying to watch our budget right now. Of course, this all takes way more will power than I have, so one or all things will shortly come crashing down on my head. Good times, I tell ya!

Good luck with WW and getting the scale moving!

Marcy said...

I don't blame you Carly! Good for you! Take a breaky if you need it ;-) Of course, it's always a plus that you'll be in good company, right? LOL

chia said...

Just don't "pull a Chia" and keep saying "New Years is only x days away!"

That sucks and means way too much wine and random accoutrements and a huge laziness phase that is rather hard to overcome :-)

akshaye said...

Focusing on one thing is always a good idea. Good luck with WW!

Greg said...

Keep it up with WW, but also keep in mind... WW will help you take it off, but running will help you KEEP it off. Keep the faith.

Marlene said...

Good choice... if it feels like a chore, nothing good will come of it.

Run Mommy said...

That is a great post. I have considered getting help with weight loss too but I guess you have more motivation than me! Will we read more about it?

BeachRunner said...

Smart move on the run breaky-poo. Focusing on what is important is the key to success. Keep on rocking and good luck with WW.

Fian said...

Not a bad idea. Focus on WW during the holidays - it will probably take a fair amount of effort with all the treats flying around in the office (and at home?) - and until you feel ready to take that next step. Good luck!

Shosh said...

Hey there. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me. You are not giving up, you're changing your plan of attack so that it works for you. That is what this is all about: doing what works for you. If running is a chore walk you'll get the same benefit and maybe you will even like it more.

Focusing on WW is a great idea. Once you get the program down again you'll be able to focus less on that and more on C25K.

If you need WW support please feel free to email me anytime...I am here for you! shoshskier@gmail.com

Keep at it Carly...you're doing great!

Lily on the Road said...

So glad you don't pressure yourself to run, it is for enjoyment, (did I just say that?).

So proud of you!!!

Lily

Marci said...

Good for you, ww is a great program. Focus on it for now, and then you can return full force renewed.

RooBabs said...

If running feels like a chore, you definitely won't stick to it, so for now, go with what works. If that's walking, then great. The nutrition is a bigger part of weight loss anyway, so if you can focus on that through the holidays, you'll be in a good place.

Keep it up, you've got the right idea!