Saturday, December 6, 2008

All Dogs go to Heaven (Maybe Even Mine)

I just wanted to write a quick note that Riley is now gone. I spent most of yesterday crying or walking around looking like I got beat up. My husband and I were with her the whole time. I don't think I have ever seen him cry like that. We both could have flooded the room with our tears. The vet came in and gave her a shot and just like that she faded. The words from the doctor, "She's gone" are still fresh in my head. I was so upset the entire time I was at the vet and the minute I got into my car I was overcome with RELIEF.

I feel like a weight has been lifted.    

As you may already may know, I find humor in strange ways.  As I left the vet hospital, I turned on some Christmas tunes.  What song?  Blue Christmas.  Crap.  More tears.  Turn the station. Please Come Home for Christmas.  Double Shit.  Next.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas....  W  T  F?????  That damn dog always had the knack for making me feel guilty.  The only thing I could do at that point was laugh because I felt this was her way of letting me know that she was OK.  

Again, thanks for all the kind words and cyber hugs.  They really meant a lot.  Now I have to resume my normal posting or I am going to be labeled Debbie Downer.  

19 comments:

mommie2lea said...

(((Hugs)))

Marci said...

You are no where near a Debbie Downer!! ((hugs)) Sorry about the loss of Riley.

AKA Alice said...

More (((hugs))).

Now go play some of Marcy's WalMart Bingo...that'll make you feel better!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

*hugs*

Diana said...

The irony is unbelievable. Animals always seem to get the last word in no matter what!
Sorry for your loss.

BeachRunner said...

More Hugs.

chia said...

I'm sorry about your fur kid. It sounds like he had a fantastically charmed life full of love :-).

MCM Mama said...

{{{{HUGS}}}

Marcy said...

(((DOUBLE HUGS)))

Jess said...

Awwww! I'm so sorry about the loss of Riley.

Viv said...

contunuing the hugfest
(((HUGS)))

MizFit said...

Im so sorry.

Shoe Running said...

Oh! Carly, I'm sorry! At least it was quick, right? And it sounds like you are making peace with it. Feel better!

Lesley said...

So sorry to hear about your pooch. Take care of you!

fitncrafty said...

Hang in there. I do believe that ALL dogs go to heaven all of them...
There's a children's book called Dog Heaven it's wonderful we bought a copy many years ago and after reading it, put a message to our pooch in the back.. my Mom has shared with many friends and it does bring comfort to some... our pets sure do get into our hearts and they are family.... Hang in there because it will get better...
I still think my Ally is around even though she passed over 8 yrs ago and we have moved 4 times since then.. She still wants our pizza crust!
Hang in there!

Shosh said...

Carly I am so sorry that I have missed so much...curses for my being on vacation. I am sending you tons of (((((HUGS))))). I know how hard it is to lose a pet but I love how you see humor in it somewhat.

You gave your dog a great life and that was coming through your radio for sure.

Smile.

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

Its always tough to lose a loved one.

Mendy said...

I'm tearing up a little reading your last few posts about Riley. I'm so sorry.... You are right - they become part of the family. big, big ((hugs)) to you and hubby. So sad.

RooBabs said...

It's good that you can find some humor, and who cares even if you did become Debbie Downer. You deserve to grieve. I realize this is late in coming, but just to let you know you and your family have been in my prayers.

I hope that if all dogs do go to heaven, that I'll actually make it there myself- otherwise, what's the point, right? = )