Sunday, December 28, 2008

Stick a Fork in Me, I am DONE!

This year, all of the Christmas festivities took place at our house. I was really nice not to have to go anywhere and try to work around the kids' schedules. The only issue I had hosting, was being stuck with all the leftover food. This year we had more leftovers than any other year because of the plague that struck. It really was depressing to see all of the food we made hardly touched and its only destiny was a date with the garbage can. Unfortunately with everyone sick, no one wanted care packages and the stuff could not be frozen to be used at a later date.

I was really bothered by having to throw away so much food. I thought about all the starving people in the world and how much we were wasting. My inner fat chick took over and helped diffuse the situation. Because of the stomach flu, I didn't have much of an appetite but I actually FORCED myself to eat so I could reduce the amount I was throwing away. Only a fat chick think would that way. I don't know what I am more disgusted by, the bad eating or the wasted food. The damage is done now and I must clean out the fridge and move on.


The good news is that I didn't gorge myself as bad as you might think. I just didn't journal or eat anything that resembled a vegetable. I know as of right now I am up on the scale, but I am sure it has something to do with the massive amount of sodium I ingested. The bad news is that I lacked the energy to do anything physical more than taking care of myself or the kids. I am starting to feel human again so I hope to be out there braving the elements to burn off the leftovers.


With the new year knocking at our door, my husband and I have vowed to make some positive changes with our health. We are joining forces with my brother and his girlfriend to make 2009 our year to become healthier. We have all decided to give something up and to start the ball rolling with small changes.

My vow is that I will not go through the drive thru and I will not eat my meals in the car anymore. Like everything else, I will need a plan. A plan to have a "go bag" if I am starving while I am out and about. Driving up to a window to get crappy fast food kind of disgusts me (even though I am guilty of doing it way more often than I should). I know this little change will have a big pay off in due time. My husband is giving up his daily Mountain Dew habit. I know once he weens off of that he is going to drop 20lbs without trying.

I hope everyone is enjoying the remaining days of the holiday season. I am taking it easy and I am going to be catching up on some blog reading over the next few days.



31 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

"I know this little change will have a big pay off in due time."

About your fast food thing...it will save $$ too.

I'm glad you are starting to feel better.

I have 1 resolution so far, and that is to floss my teeth at least 5 days of each week.

BeachRunner said...

Just toss the food and focus on getting everyone feeling better. Geez, what a way to end the year.

Good luck with the great resolutions. Start small and stay focused and I see much success in your future. 2009 will be a great year.

Marlene said...

Your husband probably will drop 20 lbs without even trying... I know mine did when he cut out pop. Damn the men with their metabolisms.

Don't worry about the scale too much right now; I know I'm not. The important thing is getting back on track and staying there!

Run Mommy said...

Sounds good to me..I will join you on the drive thru - for kids too!

AKA Alice said...

I can't stand throwing food away either... I just marvel at my two very thin sisters who have no problem just chucking a half a ham if they don't want it...not me. I'd save it...I save EVERYTHING...not good.

Glad you're feeling better.

Carolina John said...

Boy, i hate that you guys aren't feeling better. it is sooooo nice to have everyone coming to your house for christmas. i know last year everyone came to see us, and this year we went on the road. actually, 14 hours total driving over 4 days with 2 screaming kids. yep, that just happened.

hope you feel better soon.

Marcy said...

Oooohhh Carly I'm sorry you all weren't feeling on the ups. I feel the same way about throwing away food but eh, it's for the best, right?

Diana said...

Carly,
Don't be so hard on yourself...read this posting from my blog and hope it makes some sense...
http://marinette-lucyfan.blogspot.com/2008/11/half-of-doingis-in-deciding.html
All will work out as it is meant to be. Today is just a day, not a good day, not a bad day...just a day

MCM Mama said...

I hate the guilt that comes with throwing things out, not to mention the extra food I eat to prevent it from happening.

Good resolution! Glad you are starting to feel back to normal.

Julianne said...

Sorry to hear that you had the stomach flu on Christmas! :-(

BUT, a plan is good! Especially when you have partners to carry it out with. Good luck in 2009!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Depending on how often you stop at a drive through, that small change could have a HUGE positive impact. Best wishes with that.

We had gobs of leftovers after Thanksgiving. For Christmas, we just made a normal meal, but something everyone likes. No waste this time. Something to think about...

Jess said...

Giving up the drive-thru is a good one to choose. Eliminating fast food is a great way to live healthier. Same for your husband and his Mt Dew habit. A 12 oz can of that shiz has 46 grams of sugar! That's a LOT of empty calories.

Cyndi said...

I hope you are feeling better by now! I like your drive through plan for the New Year. My kids get drive-through food at least once a week and only due to my lack of planning and scrambling for them to eat something. So my goal for is to limit fast food night to once a month and start meal planning/cooking more for the fam!

Shosh said...

What a great idea. Your "resolution" is manageable and attainable. Bring snacks where ever you do, I am never without food. :-D 2009 is going to be a healthier year for you and your hubby. Mountain Dew is a killer...if he can't go cold turkey he can always have the diet one for a boost.

Happy New Year Carly and I hope you're feeling better.

Catholic Runner said...

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. I need to stop eating in the car too. That's my candy eating place!

Mendy said...

I'll be going through these new healthy living styles with ya, girl. Good luck with your new years goals!

Melanie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I like your resolutions, good luck with them! Small changes will pay dividends and lead to many great things. Looking forward to following your progress in '09! Happy New Year :)

Herbalife Las Vegas said...

I always hated not eating everything on my plate and throwing away food. Planning is a huge part of it. Its great you are thinking about it. Just thinking about it is an important step.

D10 said...

It is the worst being sick around the holidays. Hope you are all feeling better. I think making positive changes always helps when you have someone there with you for support. Together I am sure you guys are going to live healthier.

Happy New Year's.

Heather said...

Sorry you were all sick over Christmas. We had that icky stomach bug on Thanksgiving and it was miserable. Hope everyone is starting to get better!

Steve Stenzel said...

Good luck in 2009! Happy New Year!!

RunningNan said...

You will be amazed at how quickly fast food will turn your stomach. Our luncheon at work was all cooked in butter and made me ill to think of eating.

The best part is that you have a plan going forward. You are planning to succeed!

N.D. said...

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself!! It is hard over the holidays esp when all the food is in your own house! Almost back to a schedule, and you'll be fine!

Brianna said...

What a GREAT resolution! You'll be amazed at how that "little" change will have such an amazing BIG change for your pocket and the pants that hold them! :)

2009 is waiting to share numerous adventures with us all. Isn't that exciting?? I can't wait to see what they all are!

SuperDave said...

Ya can't feel bad for eating during the holidays.
Send some of that food my way..haha
Not eating fast food - that's a toughie!
Giving up Mt Dew is like giving up crack cocaine. Good luck to your hubby.
Good thought's for a better 2009!
Have a great New YR!

Twix said...

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!! :D

RooBabs said...

I also feel bad about throwing food away- but I keep telling myself, it's better to go to "waste" than to go to "waist" (isn't that a great play on words?)

Good for you guys for joining forces to get healthy. It definitely make a difference when you have support. And skipping the drive-through is a great idea.

And damn those guys for being able to drop a ton of weight just by not drinking pop, grrrr.

Happy New Year!!

X-Country2 said...

The holidays are more about friends and family and love. Not food. :o)

Good luck in 2009!

Nikemom said...

You and your hubby joining forces is a plus. My hubby freaks out when I say I am going on a diet cuz he knows he is on one too. LOL Mine starts tomorrow! I'm looking for a sports nutrition plan to help me with training. Good luck and I look forward to following your 2009!

chia said...

Glad you're on the upswing -- Happy New Year!

Patricia said...

Done Forever, as if never writing in your blog again?? Say it ain't so!
I miss you.