Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Breakin' the Law

Today I thought I would take a new way home from work. There is nothing I loathe more than getting done with work only to sit in freeway traffic for 45 minutes to go 5 miles home. I wanted to try the back way home. We have a beautiful parkway that follows the Mississippi River and it is very close to my work. I wanted to take this route home to clock the mileage with the hope of possibly biking to work when the thawing temps come.

Well........as I was putting along I came to a stop sign. I pulled up to it, stopped, then kept going. That is when I saw the red lights behind me.

Shit. What the f***! Why I am I getting pulled over??!!

Then the cop came to my window and started lecturing me about how I "rolled" through the stop sign. (bullshit, I was stopped and even spelled S-T-O-P then went). I didn't argue and really fought the urge to roll my eyes. This cop was seriously 5'1" tall and had the short mans complex in a HUGE way. He was very gruff and barely came up to my drivers side window. I had to bite the inside of my cheek not to start laughing when he asked if I was nervous. I said "No, I just have never been pulled over before". He continued his condescending lecture about safe driving. I didn't argue with him as I knew I would instantly get a ticket for mouthing off if I said anything. He continued and then gave me a verbal warning and a finger shake because I have a perfect driving record.

Don't get me wrong. I love my cops. My dad was one and I have all the respect in the world for them EXCEPT when they pull me over for no reason. This guy wanted to show off his balls by pulling over a minivan with 3 car seats in the back. Whatever. As I was pulling away, I noticed that there wasn't just one cop car.....there were TWO, both with their lights on. Boy I must be a big threat that he needed back up.

At least I didn't get a ticket! Woo Hoo!

Anyway....enough about that. I just needed to vent. I survived another day on my stability ball at work. I have to say it is more comfortable than my chair. I skipped the walk with Sarge today because I was suffering from a splitting headache. Hopefully, I can get a little movement in tomorrow.

I pulled off a novice training program for the Garry Bjorkland Half Marathon and calculated that I have roughly 20 weeks before the race. If I am one of the lucky ones to get in, I think that this is totally doable. I know I am not running at all right now, but I need a big goal to get me back into the game. I am excited to start pre-training and I hope to be up to 5 miles when it comes time to start the official training program. It might be a pipe dream at this point, but at least it is something to have my sights set on.

30 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear all you got was a verbal warning. I hear tickets in MN are a bitch. LOL. Compared to ND at least.

BeachRunner said...

I bet that copper's balls were really tiny, marble like thingies. Way to get a pass from Mini-me TJ Hooker. You go girl.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Good luck getting into the half marathon. 20weeks is plenty of time to get ready. :-)

Amanda said...

Way to bite your tongue with that cop. That is exciting that you're picking out half marathon plans. I thought it seemed impossible when I firt started training for one but if you give yourself plenty of time to build up you can totally do it!

Sarah said...

That is too funny that he had back-up...you just never know with us minivan moms!

Cyndi said...

Iwish I could take my ball to work! Oh the comments I would hear!

I sometimes think I have no business training for a half, but that is the best part of this journey! Way to go for it girl!

Run Mommy said...

Good work on getting a plan! 20 weeks is ample time especially when you have some base. You should do really great..look forward to hearing how it goes!

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like some of the cops around here.

Good luck with the half marathon training!

RunningLaur said...

Lucky you, getting out of the ticket. A 20 week plan is perfect for a half (it's what I did!). Go for it!

Missy said...

You better watch yourself, you're a danger to society...LOL...you and all them car seats:)

raulgonemobile said...

Hah! 2 cars to pull you over.. funny. Glad you escaped un-ticketed.

Lily on the Road said...

You are such a REBEL! LOL,

my dad was an officer too, but 6'3", not a Danny Divito!

Do you remember on "Friends", Danny Divito was the male stripper dressed like a cop? That was the image that immediately came to mind !! LMAO

Heather said...

I hope you get picked in the lottery for the half. I think I'm going to try to get in too . . .

Janice {Run Far} said...

short man syndrome is so funny to me. Every short man has the same attitude. Glad you just got the finger shake and a warning

Carolina John said...

You rebel! fight the power.

Marcy said...

You showed them your boobs didn't you? That how I always get outta tickets :P (I am TOTALLY kidding)

D10 said...

Glad you didn't get a ticket! I hate it when people abuse their power or need to make it known.

Jess said...

You're lucky you just got the finger shake and the verbal warning because tickets (depending on the type) in MN are expensive! I got pulled over for allegedly speeding up there about a year ago, and my ticket was $$$!

kristisummer said...

Great site! keep up the good work.

lindsay said...

i'm glad you didn't get a ticket too! minivan... car seats... sounds threatening to me! ;-)

Kate said...

20 weeks! You've got plenty of time!

As far as cops, I always love the ones that we're either picked on in HS and you can tell, or have short man syndrome! Too Funny!

Viv said...

A cop with a Napolean comples, geez you were lucky to get off! Ohh I hope you can get into that half you have time and will do it!

Saface Macdonald said...

A "rolling" stop eh? Those are popular in these parts!

The best is stoping and watching the person behind you slam on the breaks so they won't hit you.....at a stop sign LMAO!

Anonymous said...

The fastest and safest way to reach your goal weight is with physician supervised weight loss. Medi-Weightloss Clinics has locations across the U.S. They also help you maintain your weight loss through their wellness program! Check it out! www.mediweightlossclinics.com

AKA Alice said...

You completely handled it the right way. He was just baiting you.

Yeah...he's about one inch...that one... (picture me with my index finger and thumb measuring out less than an inch).

akshaye said...

Glad you got away with a verbal thing.. it would suck to spoil a perfect record over that.

RunningNan said...

That's awesome! He must be afraid of women taller than him!

SuperDave said...

Cmon really, You batted your eyelashes and your smile melted him. That's why he didn't give you a ticket- you sly dog.... hehe
5'1" is wee-little man! ROFL!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Oh I hate men with Little Man Syndrome (LMS).

Glad you got a warning and not a ticket.

RooBabs said...

LOL at short man's complex!! Glad you didn't get a ticket. When I was really young my mom got pulled over several times for random swerving (one time was because she dropped the ciggie lighter on the floor- yes, I know how white trash that sounds, and it is), but she always got off, because the cops figured she was wrangling the 3 kids in the back seat (back when there were only 3 of us- there are 6 total now, ha ha).