Sunday, January 18, 2009

Detox Reflections

I did a lot of pissing and moaning this past seven days, but I made it through the detox. I am alive, I did not starve to death or pass out from lack of food. Now I do need to come clean that I did not follow the Ultra Simple Diet to the letter but I certainly followed the food guidelines. I omitted the daily bath, the very expensive supplements, and gave up on chugging back sewage water vegetable broth. Nevertheless I believe I got a good "cleansing".

What was the outcome?
  • 7-8 lbs weight loss. I didn't officially weigh myself before the program so my weight was scientifically calculated off the Wii Fit. I was happy it didn't insult me this time.
  • My skin looks better if I do say so myself.
  • I love sitting in a sauna.....except when crazy yoga peeps invade my space.
  • I got full faster on the vegetables and rice than I ever would have on mac and cheese or fast food.
  • I think my sugar crazies have calmed a little bit. I don't feel the extreme mood swings. (I still have them but not as bad)
  • I will never look at EVOO the same again.
  • I think I am now allergic to almonds. Go figure the only thing I enjoyed eating while on the program.
  • I am still allergic to chicken. I gave it a whirl tonight and I had to grab the Benedryl. I was hoping that a good detox would reset my system to be able to handle some of my off limit foods. Nope.
All in all I am glad I did it. I feel pretty good. Although if I would have kept a journal or took before and after photos as recommended I could see more of the results. I would recommend this to others, but be warned if you follow the detox exactly as written, be prepared to cut off an arm because it is kind of expensive to buy everything needed for the program.

Chubby Hubby also committed a week of his life to take part in Detox Mania 2009. I can't BELIEVE how good he looks.
Asshole. Why do men lose it faster? Not fair. I think the thing that shocks me the most is that both of us were able to stick it out. Neither one of us have one hair of willpower and we are notorious for sabotaging the other. I also have to say, that Chubby Hubby did a lot less whining about the food. I was even sick of hearing myself.

While I was purging my system, I took a break from Ms. Michaels. Truthfully, I didn't have a lot of energy this week. Rather than doing nothing I fired up the Wii Fit and at least a little movement. My knees are still aching a bit and my foot is barking at me. I put making a doctor appointment on the agenda to get the issues looked at prior to me strapping on my Sauconies.

On a side note, one of the highschoolers was jabbing me and called me OLD. I asked "how old do you think I am?"
*mistake, mistake, mistake* She replied "I think you are 45". That little runt (not the real word I was thinking)!!!! I told her that I was 35. Her response is "That is still old". The worst part about it is she asked another co-worker and she also thought I was 45. Not that there is anything wrong with 45, but I am a decade younger. I guess it is time for a little makeover. Geeze. Nothing like getting a bitch slap by a few highschoolers.

23 comments:

AKA Alice said...

Oh Carly. I taught high school for 17 years. They have NO IDEA how old anyone is...25, 35, 45, 55...sadly, it all looks about the same to them (meaning that they're so busy looking at themselves, that they really don't look at anything else). Take EVERYTHING a teenager says with a grain of salt (you can have that now, right?)

Great job on the cleanse. I'm impressed!

Running Through Time said...

I agree with AKA Alice, teenagers are so self-involved they don't know what age anyone is except themselves and their friends. Don't take their comments to heart.

By the way, great job on the detox!!! You are such an inspiration, I am even contemplating doing a detox...

Melissa

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm allergic to almonds too. Which stinks. Because I love them.

You mentioned gettng full faster with veggies and rice than mac-n-cheese or fast food. Sounds like something to take from the program moving forward to continue with your weight loss goals.

Good job. :-)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

oh - I've had a conversation with a group of teens about old. they think 30 is old, so what do they know?!?

Marcy said...

I'm with Alice. Anyone over 21 is "old" by HS standards. I still would've given them a good punch in the eye :P

Jess said...

I teach 18 and 19 year olds (primarily -- they're the "traditional" aged students in my college classes) and yes, they have no clue about age. I once gave them an in class assignment asking them to write about what they wanted toa ccomplish by the time they were 50, and nearly 90% said they wanted to be retired by the time they were that "old." Good luck to them, I figure.

Congrats on sticking out the detox! A 7-8 lbs loss in a week's worth of time is amazing!

fitncrafty said...

Great job sticking to the detox program. It is hard! I commend you. There are lots of detox programs out there. If you do them correctly they do work.

After reading your review/remarks about 30 day shred I bought it and tried it out yesterday.. it's tough, I can't imagine what level two and three will bring.

Carolina John said...

ROFLMAO! that's a great recap. glad you lost a few, but getting bitchslapped by high schoolers over your age is crazy.

and being allergic to ckicken has to suck. i know i eat it all the time, so allergy = bad. i feel for you.

Missy said...

Men and weight loss, yeah, nice...the - I stopped drinking Coke and lost 10lbs - guy. Maddening! High schoolers scare me, so clueless.

Tammy said...

True about teenagers having no idea about age. I see teachers now that I had in high school and think, "how can they be that young?"

Obviously I didn't have a clue in high school.

Congrats on completing the detox! 7-8 lbs. Woohoo!

Diana said...

Nice job sticking with it. Good to have a partner do it with. Kudos to your hubby for doing it with you!

Teens....I may be 46 years old, but at least I don't have the 46 zits on my face like they do! Karma...good thing!

Marlene said...

Congratulations on surviving the detox and the weight loss! I hear you on the men and their rapid loss - my hubby can't keep weight ON to save his life.

Run Mommy said...

Good job! I am not sure I have that kind of dedicated..I am on board with RunToFinish's challange so we'll see how it goes..BTW..I love that you call your husband Chubby Hubby - so cute. I wish my husband was a little more Chubby Hubby and a little less Slim Jim. It would make me feel a lot better :)

Julianne said...

You lost about 8 lbs on your detox program?? Omg, I think I need to try one! Great job sticking through most of it. And believe me, kids don't know what 45 looks like, let alone 35!!

Greg said...

Have you ever seen A Nightmare On Elm Street?

I realize it's a horror movie. It's also about high school kids, and there's one scene that really captures how they think beautifully.

The main character, who's 16, hasn't slept in 3 or 4 nights, something like that. She looks at herself in the mirror, and says, "Oh my GOD. I look 20 years old."

mommie2lea said...

Great job on sticking with the detox... that is amazing! Whenever I have done a detox, I have also been very tired and scaled back on the workouts, too.

And those teenagers are nuts and do not know the difference between a 30 year old and a 50 year old. We'll laugh at them when they are our age! ;-)

D10 said...

You did a fantastic job. Hope you are proud of yourself. When I was a teenager I use to think 30 was old. Now that I am 30, I realize just how dumb I was.

BeachRunner said...

Bite me, high schoolers. I hope you bomb your SAT's you insensitive dopes.

Kidding.

NOT!!

teacherwoman said...

"I will never look at EVOO the same" ... I don't blame you. Glad to hear you made it through!

Running Around Acres said...

Congrats on the weight loss. And back to the running grind that all of is are doing.

Heather said...

Way to go with the detox - you made it! Glad that overall it was a good experience. And I hate how men lose weight so much faster!

Shosh said...

LOL If you bitch slapped them you would need to get that on film. Gotta love the young who have zero perspective or filters.

Glad that you survived the cleanse and bravo on the loss. Are you going to WI at WeWa now? I love that Chubby Hubby did it with you. Why is it that men lose so much faster and easier than we do...HATE IT!

Have a great day.

MCM Mama said...

Good job on finishing the detox and the weight loss! And I agree that high school kids are just clueless when it comes to age!