Sunday, January 11, 2009

Detox

Let the fun begin! Today is my first of seven days on the UltraSimple Diet. I started off my morning with a shot of EVOO with lemon *gag* and hot lemon water followed by brown rice hot cereal. The rest of the day the food is not too terrible. On the menu is organic vegetable broth, brown rice, steamed veggies, wild salmon, and lots and lots of water. Sounds delicious doesn't it? I know you are jealous.

I am not detoxing for the weight loss benefit (although, it will be nice to see it on the scale), I am doing it to:
  • see if it helps my food allergies
  • get off of sugar
  • see if I can balance out my mood (I have a case of the crazies lately)

Speaking of mood, I have hit my winter depression. Winter sucks as it does every year. I am really trying not let it get the best of me. Since we are stuck inside most of the time I entertain myself by duct taping the kids together and timing how fast they can chew their way out. Only kidding of course, although we do have a bit of cabin fever and the thought has crossed my mind when we start bouncing off the walls.

I do have to say that exercising is helping a little bit with the funk. Currently, I am doing the Shred and walking a couple of times a week. I have put running on hold until the detox is complete. Level one Shred is starting to get "do-able" but I am no where near moving up to level two. There is a lot of lunging and squats in this video and my knees are starting to hurt. At this point I can't tell if it is the "good" sore or the "I shouldn't be doing these" sore. I am doing the modified version and making sure I have proper form so I don't do any damage.

Last night at work (holiday job), they offered me a "normal" position with the store. I decided to take it because I enjoy it. I like it because the job is easy and I get out of the house and do something with low stress. It is relaxing too. Plus, I get to keep my discount and the extra money is kind of nice too.

That is all I have for catch up. I am off to chug a gallon of water!

28 comments:

teacherwoman said...

That detox sounds pretty interesting. I don't know if I could do it! Have fun!

Melanie said...

good luck with the detox! Exercise usually helps me get out of my funk too... and i'm ready for winter to be over.

BeachRunner said...

Winter SUCKS. I couldn't agree more. And so does that breakfast you had this morning. Good luck with the detox regimen I hope it helps you de-crazy and de-allergize.

Heather said...

Hope the detox goes okay - I couldn't do it. Getting outside, even when it's cold, helps to keep from going all the way over the edge during the winter.

Jess said...

Every winter when I lived in MN, I too would suffer a bit from seasonal depression. And January/February always seemed especially bad. When we were recently visiting MN over the holidays, just two weeks made me feel the effects of the lack of sunlight and the cabin fever. So I feel for ya in that climate at this time of year.

Hope the detox helps you feel better, and yeah, exercise is alwaysa mood lifter!

Carolina John said...

have fun with that, Carly. a shot of evoo with lemon is a tough breakfast. congrats on the job!

D10 said...

I can't wait to hear how the detox works. I need something to kick my sugar addiction! Keep working through the "winter depression."

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I've never done a detox like that. Let us know how it goes. :-)

Marcy said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean Carly. This time of year is always nutso with the kids. I'm right there with you LOL

Good luck with the detox Momma!

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Carly, you're cracking me up over here!

Good Luck with the detox...that's what I need but then...I'd really miss my red wine!!

Viv said...

The detox sounds cleanising really no pun or kidding intended. glad you got an offer to keep the holiday job, sounds like the year is starting off well Carly!

AKA Alice said...

The duct-tape joke made ME do the oh-so-elegant snort/laugh over here...hahahahah

Good luck with the detox and the Shred. I bought the DVD but haven't started it yet.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Sounds like I need to Detox too.

I hear ya on the winter Blues. UGH......

WADDLER26.2 said...

Good luck with the detox. It is good to get the crap out of your system.

WADDLER26.2 said...

Good luck with the detox. It is good to get the crap out of your system.

MCM Mama said...

Around here, we prefer velcro. Put some velcro on the wall and the opposite piece on the kid and stick 'em up...

Good luck with the detox.

wmd said...

man that diet sounds brutal... but different strokes for different folks. Good luck with it, now I just need to adjust my diet to get a little healthier!

mommie2lea said...

Good luck with UltraSimple... I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Marci said...

I am curious about the detox, although I have 0 will power. Congrats on being offered a regular position. Extra cash always helps!

Diana said...

Cabin fever does suck and it has hit here is WI bad! I hear it's going to be major cold next week-high's of zero a few days. Whoo-hoo!
Congrats on the job-extra cash to buy more duct tape :-)

MizFit said...

really interesting and I think it will be just what you need with regards to food allergies.
I did the same sort of thing to figure out what I was sensitive too as well (gluten)

Marlene said...

Good luck on the detox... I don't think I could handle it! I hope it helps with the allergies and crazies. ;)

Sarah said...

I've considered doing a detox diet before.. never have though! Keep us updated with how you like it and if you see any results!

Tammy said...

Yeah, detox doesn't sound like much fun.

Good luck! The exercise is helping my SAD this year also.

Shoe Running said...

Congrats on the job offer! That's so nice to have something you enjoy that pays you :)

The brown rice with salmon sounds totally delish to me :) Good luck with the detox, I'm curious to hear how it goes!

RooBabs said...

Your detox "breakfast" sounds horrible. But the rest isn't too bad- especially if it helps with the allergies and breaking the sugar addiction (oh wait, did I just project my own problem onto you? sorry, LOL)

I hear you with the cabin fever. Luckily we've had a bit of sun the past few days, and I try to run outside whenever possible- or I would be a crazy person by now. Another thing that always helps is we're taking a trip this weekend, so I'll get out of Dodge, ha ha.

Very cool about the "normal" position. Glad that it's working out for you.

Dawn said...

Hi Carly, I can only recommend taking some vitamin D, or some people even go to a tanning bed to get some light. I don't but I've heard it can help.

I'm also shredding. I just did level 3 last night. It's friggin' crazy! Damn Rock Stars! It sucks & I sweated like a pig!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Good luck with the detox.
The winter has hit me hard!