Monday, February 2, 2009

Free Day

I have decided to experiment with something that I call a "free day". It is a day without journaling and letting myself have basically anything I want (within reason). I know this sounds like a slippery downward slope but there is a method to my madness and I have "rules".

I can be quite the crazy person sometimes. I follow the program to the letter, have a bad day (week), then chalk it up to a failed attempt. Rather than starting the vicious cycle over and over again, I am building in a "cheat" day to my program. That way I am not expected to do it perfect, I am just expecting myself to make progress. I am going to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. It might just blow up in my face, but it might workout for the best too.

The rules:
  • The splurge has to be really worth it...if I am going to eat sweets, the better the good stuff or homemade.
  • I must use self control with portions...like not eating an entire pint of ice cream.
  • I must get some sort of physical activity.
  • Right back on the program.
This is how my "free day" went down yesterday. We went out to breakfast at one of my favorite places. I ordered a half order of blueberry cakes....I normally get the full. Lunch was some raw veggies. Then last night I had a cocktail, some cheese and crackers, and veggie loaded taco salad. Then to top off the evening, I had a dish of Espresso Chip ice cream. It was heavenly. Looking at what I ate, I KNOW I went over my target but I don't think it was way out of line. I worked at my retail job for 4 hours which was non stop walking. Today I am back on the program with no guilt.

What are you thoughts on a free day? Does anyone else do this?

Tomorrow is the big Couch to 5k program kick off. I have my gym bag packed so I have no excuses when I get to work tomorrow. I just pray that it warms up. This weekend it felt like spring and today we are back to our negative temps. Either way, I am pumped to start running again.

Here is a little something for the Jack Bauer fan. This clip really cracked me up. If you are familiar with song from Team America World Police and the show 24, you should be able to appreciate the humor.



My husband and I giggle every time he says "dammit" on the show. I guess there is even a drinking game. Any other Jack Bauer fans out there?

22 comments:

Johnny Vu said...

Allow me to quote our mother " uuuurrrrggghhhhh the F*ck*ng puppets are f*ck*ng" God I miss that movie...

AKA Alice said...

I think your idea for a "cheat day" is a great idea. I think it would help me to keep on track.

Heather said...

I have read several places that a fairly large number of successful dieters (and people who keep weight off long term) allow themselves a cheat day. I think it's the difference between thinking you've failed if you fall off the programs and allowing yourself some wiggle room so you get right back with it. Sounds like a smart plan to me!

jlou said...

My husband does a cheat day, and it seems to have been working really well for him. I think it keeps people from feeling like they can never have treats.

Kate said...

I experimented with the "free day" when I was really trying to lose weight, and It didn't work much for me. But now that I'm maintaining (and half-assed trying to lose about 5lbs), I allow myself sunday where I don't write anything down, and just eat in moderation....sometimes moderation works, other times, not so much...But I always get a run in on Sundays lol!

Melanie said...

i think a cheat day is a good idea... i think it helps stay motivated. that clip was too funny...

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I don't do a cheat day, but I do allow myself treats for special occasions. Like what you said - with boundary conditions.

D10 said...

I think a "free day" is a good idea. As long as your still keep everything in moderation you will be fine.

akshaye said...

I think its a great idea. I have a friend who builds in a 2 hour period once a week where she can eat anything she wants.. it helps her like crazy!

Marlene said...

Free days work well for me and make it much easier to stay focused the rest of the week. I hope it works out for you too.

MCM Mama said...

I think a cheat day sounds like a great idea, especially since you've still set some boundaries.

Missy said...

I think you must have treats sometimes or you might just freak out. Calories must be worth it, though, homemade over junk - like you said.

Shosh said...

Your "cheat day" is going to help you not feel deprived. And getting right back on track the next day is perfect! You didn't go totally overboard or crazy based on what you wrote.

Super Bowl Sunday was my day with a big red X on it. LOL I think I consumed an entire bag of chips myself and I ate two pieces of cake LOL :-)

Let me know how the first day of the C25K goes.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I don't do a cheat day per se, but Saturday is usually my high points day.

BeachRunner said...

Happy Free Day!

Catholic Runner said...

I think a Free Day is a great idea. I use to use one and it really helped me stay on track the rest of week. Why do I always stop doing what works? I hereby reinstate my free day....

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I think all my days are free days. I really need to control my eating.

Janice {Run Far} said...

when i am really being good about my eating plan, I always allow a free day so that I can have a treat and not feel guilty. I like it. it works for me.

Running Around Acres said...

Dammit! I have cheat days but it is with my running and not food. Being diabetic I have to watch it anyway. Though chocolate chip cookies have a special place in my tummy.

lindsay said...

ohh i can't do a 'free day' because then it becomes a week...month...you get my point! :) i think it's a great idea if you can stick to it and not let yourself slack, i'm just no good at it. good luck!

Cyndi said...

A cheat day is also good for the metabolism! The extra calories supposedly 'surprises' your metabolism. A cheat day is built in to the Body for Life program, that is where I first learned of it many years ago.

RooBabs said...

I think you've got a good handle on how a "cheat" day or "free" day is supposed to work. Good job! And I can't watch the video at work, so I'll have to check back at home. The Hubs and I (sheepishly) cracked up so hard at Team America when we saw it at the dollar movie theater, and we're fans of 24, too. Now I'm interested to see what it is (oh, and I remember now seeing your comment on someone's blog about the theme song to TAWP, and it made me laugh when I read it).