Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Free to a Good Home

One 18 month old Diva with a killer scream and a big attitude.

I am of course kidding. HOWEVER, I do believe we have been blackballed by another babysitter. Chubby Hubby and I wanted to get out for a quick dinner. A girl I work with at my retail gig said she was interested in babysitting. I swooped in and took her up on it. We were gone 1.5 hours and came home to find out that Diva screamed her head off the whole time. When she saw us, she started in with an evil toddler laugh. Our sitter could not get out of our house fast enough. I hope I paid her enough. *sigh* Back to the drawing board.

Running Tidbits
Sarge and I started week 4 of C25K day 1. We ran most of our 30 minutes. We did 3 and 5 minute intervals. I admit they were hard! I think I actually had tears in my eyes doing the one of the 5 minute intervals. I kept thinking that I will look back on this and laugh at how difficult this starting back up business was. I just hope it gets easier soon. At least the weather is getting nicer so it makes it easier to get out there.

Other Shiz
When it comes to operating my Garmin 50, I get a failing grade. I am Garmintarded. Although I am notorious for not reading an instruction manual, I have read this thing cover to cover multiple times. I have also been on the horn to Garmin's customer service a few times. They are very helpful, but low and behold I do not experience the problems when I am on the phone with them.

I love having a gadget that tracks things for me, but I could never figure this thing out. I think after almost a year, I am getting closer to knowing what I am doing. Well....the manual that I have is the "quick start" manual. I googled and found the actual owners manual that went into way more detail. I think it helped as I got my HRM to work on my run today (at least I think I did). Now I just need to figure out how to do the uploads successfully. I installed training center on my computer, and I signed up with Garmin Connect. Garmin Gurus, which one do you use? Is one better than the other?

25 comments:

Run Mommy said...

I need to attend Garmin U too! Yesterday I met these women at the indoor track and they were MASTERS so gave me a quick tutorial. Turns out I was barely using all the features!

Diana said...

"Garmintarded"....LOL! I love that. I also love the title of your post...got my day off to a good laugh, thanks!

Missy said...

Oh, I'm a total Garmintard too. I keep trying to figure it out and if I run in cycling mode one more time...I'm gonna freak out!

Sweet baby;)

Janice {Run Far} said...

Garmintarded... that is funny. I didn't read my owners manual either.. I just use it for it's very basic info... distance, speed... time... I am to scared to find out all it can do for me.

Melanie said...

IMO, Garmin Training Center is ok but pretty basic. I have the 305, so Garmin Connect is not yet available so I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I've been using motionbased.com (everything from this site is to eventually be moved over to Connect for all models). I liked this better than Training Center. sorry to hear about the diva crying the whole time... she's precious though. :)

Marlene said...

I remember the trials and tribulations of (re)learning to run all to well. Kudos for sticking with it. Remember, it DOES get easier! Eventually!

Heather said...

I'm so dumb about my Garmin, I know I'm only using about 10% of what it is capable of. Oh well.

I have the same problem with babysitters. It is embarassing how much I pay my favorite just to keep her coming back.

Marcy said...

What in the heck is Garmin Connect?! I have no idea HAHAAA. I just use the Training Center thingy and then if I want more details and whatnot I upload to my info to bimactive.com

Emily said...

Intervals are TOUGH! Just did them yesterday and was sweating up a storm. The spring weather will definitely ease the pain...

tfh said...

Laughing at being blackballed by babysitters. Screaming for 1.5 hours straight is quite a feat. Hope you figure out Garmin-- I HATE trying to figure out technical stuff.

raulgonemobile said...

I use Garmin Training Center as well as 'SportTracks'. SportTracks is more advanced than GTC, but I sometimes have trouble finding what I need to find. (Basic importing and logging works fine in it though.)

Tammy said...

Taking notes...

Yeah, I just use Training Center, when I bother to plug the thing into the computer. I'm also using my Garmin to about 10% of its ability.

Ahhh, I remember (not so fondly) the days of being blackballed from babysitters...

MCM Mama said...

I wasn't really impressed with the training center and now my computer wants nothing to do with my garmin, so I don't actually upload anything anymore.

Bummer on the babysitting thing. My kids can be a PITA, but I've found a few sitters that they like better than hanging with mommy, so we are able to get out occasionally.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I am of course kidding

I'm looking at that face and I'm thinking, "O no you aren't!" I could see THAT one letting out banshee-like yelps!

"Garmintarded" - HAR! The more I hear about Garmins, the more I think they aren't worth the trouble. Still, good luck figuring yours out.

tfh just reviewed a Garmin-esque watch I'm seriously thinking about getting. She stresses its simplicity, which I've never heard anyone who has a Garmin do. Ever.

X-Country2 said...

I know I'm Garmintarded too. No way I'm smart enough to figure that thing out. :o)

Jess said...

"Garmintarded" is hilarious!

I don't use nearly half the features I have on my Big G, and sometimes I feel like I should do more with it, but that would take actually reading the manual, and I've never broken down and done that!

Sarah said...

Oh man...keeping good babysitters can be tough. One night my husband and I went out for a quick bite to eat and came home to find out both kids had thrown up...yuck! We paid her very well that night and she has still come back. :)

I have a Garmin and am awful at figuring it out. I haven't even figured out how to use my HRM yet... :(

BeachRunner said...

Your post reminds me of two important things: (1) I am too 'tarded to work a Garmin.
(2) The cheapskate approach of dumping the kids with the grandparents for those rare nights out still works best.

kelsey said...

Um, hey!

I found your blog through the Runner's world site, and I see that we have a bunch of similar bloggy friends... :D

I see you're doing c25k, but are you a new or returning runner? I'm a brand SPANKIN new one, and I'm loving it already. :)

I have my last 3 runs of c25k this week! I'm pretty stoked. Anyway, I thought we had a fair bit in common so, I thought I'd say hi.

I've added you to my reader, and hope to hear more about your c25k progress!

Cheers!

kelsey @ kelseytoney.com
Bloggy Style

Amanda said...

"Garmintarded" I like that! Your Diva is precious, good luck with the babysitter situation.

lindsay said...

good luck with the babysitter situation! hope your diva un-diva-fies a little so you don't have to give her away. sorry but i got a laugh out of your *surely* stress-free problem.

nice job on the c25k progress!

Marci said...

I probably only use 1/10 of the functions of my Garmy too. I am with Marcy, I have never heard of Garmin connect.

RBR said...

That title? HILARIOUS! Good show.

Garmin. I am totally addicted, but I have the 305, so I don't know if the 50 is harder to work.

Maybe time to ask the Easter Bunny for an upgrade?

RBR said...

Ugh, hit publish too soon...

I wanted to thank you for your sweet comment. The kindness helped a lot. I am slowly crawling back out. I am hoping the Napa marathon this weekend will help.

RunningNan said...

i hope you become ungarmintarded... I will need your help the one day I can afford it..

Glad to see you are keeping up the c25k. Run some for me for the next two weeks... I'm banned!