Sunday, February 22, 2009

PSA and Weekend Ramblings


Today's PSA
Eat Fiber One bars at your own risk!

(warning, TMI alert)
I bought these with the expectation of having a filling snack while satisfying my sweet tooth. I was impressed by the 9 grams of fiber and they tasted really good. I thought it was even better that I only had to sacrifice 2 Weight Watcher points on this almost candy bar like treat.
All was well until about an hour later.....then the stomach pain started. It got so bad that I was almost doubled over. Then I realized it was GAS pain. My stomach was making noises I have never heard before and they were LOUD. My co-workers were commenting on how they could hear the rumblings. I could actually feel the gas bubble move through my intestines. The pain subsided but only to leave me with 2 days of the worst flatulence. I put Chubby Hubby to shame with the noises I could produce. Normally I am immature enough to think a good fart story is funny but this was over the top even for me. Chubby Hubby had a similar issue after consuming these. Please consider yourself warned. I wonder what would happen if someone had the guts to eat 2 in one day. Yowsa!

Weekend Wrap Up
Weight Watcher's weigh in was a joke this week! I was up 3.8lbs. Funny I am back down to my current week's weight as of today. Sometimes I really hate having to weigh in at night. I do believe the candy and the salt consumption played a role in some of the gain. Thankfully it didn't "stick", at least a few glasses of water was enough to flush it back out. I really want to do well this week so I am eating as clean as possible.

I broke it to my husband that I picked out paint and that we (by WE, I mean HE) will be painting very soon. Please note, I am always willing to help but I have been banned from painting in this house due to my lack of patience. Of course with the paint, I have picked out a couple of new accent pieces that would make the room complete. Don't you love how projects just snowball?

I am so happy the we are in the last week of February. I am in the peak of my winter funk. Just as the weather was getting "nicer" we got a bunch of snow and it got cold again. Usually by April, things start to get tolerable and going outside to run is much much more enjoyable. I hate wishing time away, but I wish Spring would come now.

I have a ton of catching up to do....230 posts to be exact. I have to say I LOVE Google Reader. I can't believe that it took me so long to discover it.

29 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who has Fiber 1 Bar problems. I love them, they are tasty but you're right...you will make noises you didn't know your tummy could make. If I eat one every day I'm fine, but if I haven't had one in a while the gas pains/sounds come back.

Marcy said...

Ok I'm TOTALLY not trying those babies HAHA! I have enough probs (non stop fart train) with the Kashi stuff (all the high fiber cereals). Thank you for that PSA ;-)

mommie2lea said...

I think my 15 years as a hard core vegetarian have made me very fiber-tolerant or something because I have had more than two of them in a day! I am an addict when it comes to the Oats and Caramel flavor!

Glad the weight didn't stick!

AKA Alice said...

bwahahahahahahah w/the fart story. I'll stay away 'em too. I can barely tolerate Kashi. Let just say that's a good thing that I share an office with a guy who has a completely different schedule than I do and we're almost never there at the same time.

Sarah said...

I actually love those bars and thankfully have never had a problem. I eat a very high fiber diet, so I guess I am just used to it.

Salty meals really mess with my weight too. I am amazed at how much I can "gain" with one salty meal.

VeeGettingHealthy said...

While I don't count fiber grams, I definitely watch my fiber. If I have too much, my IBS (irritable bowel syndromes) put me out of commission until everything gets through. Usually horribly painful, lots of time on the pot, and not pleasant to be around. Thanks for the warning! Vee at www.veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Jim Purdy said...

The ingredient list tells the story. The first ingredient is chicory root fiber, also known as inulin (no, not insulin). Inulin is a very active pre-biotic, and it gets the intestinal bacteria all excited. I ate two whole boxes of a similar product recently, and the results were, uh, explosive. Never again will I indulge in anything that lists chicory root or inulin as the main ingredient.

Marlene said...

Funny, I have never had that problem with Fibre One bars, but they could be different up here.

I have not been to WW in SOOOO long. Ugh. Glad to hear you were able to flush out all of that water retention already. I weigh up to 4 lbs more in the evening!

D10 said...

Thanks for the PSA! I hate painting, I just don't enjoy it at all. When we paint rooms in teh house, Matt does the bulk.

Melanie said...

thanks for the heads' up! I think i'll steer clear :)

Heather said...

I have those problems with the Kashi bars . . . I've had to stop eating them at work to keep from embarassing myself. I wish spring would hurry up and get here too! Although February has been MUCH more tolerable than January.

lindsay said...

oh i love google reader. i filled mine up with a bunch of other stuff so i have something to do at work when i don't feel like doing work :)

too funny about the fiber 1 bars. my old running pal eats one in the morning before a run! she must have bowels of steel, i've always wondered how she does it. i personally always have to focus on having a movement before i even think about going for a run. i've been stranded too many times on a run!

Missy said...

I've heard that about the Fiber One bars...glad I didn't eat one at the office when someone offered. That could have been terrible, for everyone! I gotta figure out Google Reader...can you post comments from there or just readin?

Diana said...

I too have succumbed to the famous Fiber One bars! Thankfully I tried one at work and when the gas came (and went!), I just blamed it on one of my patients!! I know, how low can ya go, but it was a perfect alibi!!

Dawn said...

I can't eat the Fiber One bars anymore for this same reason...they cause PAIN! And, if I eat them anytime at work, God help anyone near me, the gas just happens!

DeAnna said...

I wish I had read this earlier because I bought a box of 30 at Costco before I figured it out! And boy did I figure it out. Now I'm stuck with 20something bars of gas! :) And I did have two in one day before I realized what was happening. My poor husband! :)

Tammy said...

I have an iron stomach. I can also eat 2 of those in a day with no problems.

Ugh! on the weigh-in. I'm on a hiatus from the scale myself. I hate hate hate working so hard and seeing a gain.

Carolina John said...

what? i love those fiber one bars. and i like a good fart story too. but the 2 don't usually go hand in hand for me.

Greg said...

You shouldn't eat these anyway, they have HFCS. Give the Kashi ones a try, they can do no wrong in my mind. Ooh, also check out the Clif Bar mini's, 100 calories apiece and perfect for a pre-run snack.

RunMomma said...

I found out about the gasious affects of these little bars the hard way as well.

DarkKnight said...

The main thing about fiber, especially if you aren't used to it is to start slowly. Fiber One bars are great for fiber, but as others have pointed out, they aren't the only source. If they don't work, try something different! Regardless, before you go buying some new "ColonCleanse" snack bars, try getting a fiber supplement that you can take to get your body used to having regular amounts of fiber daily (it's amazing how little we have per day). I really like the FiberChoice chewables you can find at Target. Good luck!

Janice {Run Far} said...

i have tried those once.. they didn't bother me... but my 3 year old got a hold of one and she had the runs for days.... sick

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Whoa, congrats to you, sister, on the man-farts! Teh 'Bride excells in this area, as well, but she's no GQH, lemme tell you!

The fact that it's winter and you're all stuck inside makes it all the sweeter. It makes the house one big Dutch oven, which is what every man shoots for, believe me. Your husband may pretend he hates it now, but this'll make for great stories for him to tell in the near future when he wants to embarrass you for some nefarious reason.

I think the technical name for those gut noises is "bourbourignies", which is pronounced just as it is spelt and is meant to be vaguely onomatopoeic.

There is no such thing as TMI. IMHO, that is.

Cyndi said...

Hey, sometimes we NEED TMI because how the heck else are we going to learn these things?

Actually - I got the Fiber One lesson last year ha ha. It's actually something about the preservatives combined with a certain form of fiber that causes havoc! I read that if you drink a big glass of water with them it helps - but that's too high maintenance for me ha ha.

Just this weekend I bought some Fiber One cereal, and I only eat 1/2 cup and I can 'tell' ha ha...but it's not as bad as the bars!

teacherwoman said...

FiberOne bars have the same affect on me... but they are sooo yummy! :)

MCM Mama said...

Hmm, thanks for the heads up. As much as I love fiber, it does not love me. I think Beer Geek would make me sleep in the spare bedroom if I indulged in those.

X-Country2 said...

I had one Fiber 1 bar and well... never again. Let's just say, I hear ya. :o)

Kate said...

I'm so lucky I dont have fiber one bar issues! I do know alot of people who do though!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I get this reaction to chicory root too.. I stay clear of ANYTHING with this ingredient.

I'm 99% certain the Canadian equivalent does NOT have this ingredient (it also only has 5g of fibre). I tried confirming this on the web ... but no luck.