Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hump Day Hoopla

Spring is here in Minnesota! The snow is mostly melted and the sun is shining. Today I have the heat turned off and a window open. It is a amazing how a little sunshine can lift a mood.

It was certainly a day for my mood to be lifted. For over a week now I have been struggling with a decision to possibly go back to work full-time. Right now I work close to 40 hours between 2 jobs and now I have a possible opportunity to work one full-time job. Although this is great news, I am having some concerns about the cost of having 3 kids in daycare (OUCH) and working out a schedule around my kids' school. I am going to present a few options that might benefit both my employer and my family. The absolute worst case scenario is that nothing changes and I stay where I am.....which would be OK too.

To put the icing on the cake, my MILF mobile broke down today. It is obviously it is not the end of the world but it puts a cramp in my kid shuffling style. I had to pile the kiddos in our old tiny Rav4 to tote them around. FYI...you can fit 3 car seats in back even though it is a very tight squeeze. I am saying a little prayer that it is something minor and is not going to break the bank.

Rather than calling another friend to obsess about things I can't control or things that have not happened yet. I went for a run. A REAL run. I started off with a 5 minute walking warm up then I ran over 2 miles (without stopping). This was day two of running two miles. It felt really good to be out there. I am still uber slow but it isn't bothering me too much since I am at least attempting the workout.

After my run, I came home and I pulled out my bike. I have this crazy idea that I am going to bike to work tomorrow since I am without wheels. I just biked around da hood and did another 2.5 miles. It was not intended to be a workout however I rode just as the high school up the street was let out. I was dodging cars and and school buses so I feel like I got a bit more of a workout than just an average ride from all the near death experiences. I am not quite sure that I will be up to riding into work tomorrow, but my tires are pumped up just in case.

Even though it has been a crazy week with lots of ups and downs, the weather is making me very happy.

20 comments:

Yasmin said...

Car troubles suck. Although I am LMAO at picturing you putting in all 3 car seats.

A run is a run, who cares about the pace!

MCM Mama said...

I can fit three in the back of my civic, but it takes huge effort and generally involves skinned knuckles.

Good job on the workouts. Hope the work thing works out for you!

Melanie said...

it's amazing how much the weather can change your mood! Great job!

Missy said...

DO IT DO IT, ride to work! Can't get much better than that. Get a ride in before the day even starts.

Marcy said...

What's the MILF mobile? A minivan?! LOL

Girl on Top said...

The weather definitely have a way of dictating my mood. Great job on thinking of exercise to destress.

Marci said...

Yeah for warmer weather!

RunningLaur said...

Don't worry about slow - it means you can enjoy the sunshine for a longer time!

D10 said...

The weather can really change your outlook on things. Great idea biking to work. I really wish I had the option.

Run Mommy said...

As one mom to another - your time management is impressive! 40 hr weeks, three children, running, blogging. Very impressive. Full time work is really tough and I must admit I am not the best example as I gave up my "career- bill payer" job for my fun but less lucrative job just to lighten my load. You have to do what is best for your family and what will make you happy too. Good luck with your decision no matter what it is!

Carolina John said...

we're sunny and in the 70's today in SC too. it's soooooo nice. love it!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I can "feel" the sun in your post.
Congrats on the run!

Tammy said...

Great job on the run! And the ride!

Sorry about the car. That stinks. Hope the job situation works out for the best!

raulgonemobile said...

MILF mobile? LOL!

Enjoy the weather.. hope the car repair is cheap and quick..

Marlene said...

I concur... there is a certain "spring" in my step these days. :)

Congrats on the 2-mile run! AWESOME!

tfh said...

Hope the good weather sticks and nothing is seriously wrong with the MILF mobile. ;)

Herbalife Australia said...

we are going into winter here in aus soon and not looking forward to it always makes you eat more!! and exercise far less.... hope you rode to work??

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like you're making the best out of some stressful times. Spring time will do that!

Sarah said...

Car problems just stink! Hope you get your back soon!

Hope you have a great weekend!

lindsay said...

nice job on the run! hope the car situation is figured out soon and isn't anything serious!!

bike to work!! i did it last summer and some days i hated it (i just wanted to get home after!) but now i am looking forward to it again. always made me feel good to get to work under my own power, save myself some gas money, and well, be a little tree hugger as well :)