Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Plan B

It is official, I got my "Dear John" letter saying I am not invited to the race. The disappointment brought out a little insanity in me. I started going off the deep end. I heard through the grapevine on Facebook that there were some people the got in that might not be truly interested in running. I thought about stalking them and running in their place, even though I do know that it is illegal in race terms. Then I had the thought of just saying screw it, I was going to go for the gusto...the full monte. Afterall, I have done 26.2 miles with little training.

Once I came back to reality, I reminded myself that I am currently doing the C25K program and have a hard time running for 5 minutes let alone 5 hours. I remembered my one and only goal for this year is to become a runner again not to just do a race only to become injured again. I am going to train with Sarge and be her "coach" and enjoy the race weekend. I may do the 5K that is offered and I will bring the kidlets up to do the Whipper Snapper Race.

My Plan B race is to run the Urban Wildlands Half Marathon. It is not as big of a race as the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon but it has grown leaps and bounds over the last 6 years. I ran the inaugural race and it was a disaster (that is for another post). So I want to redeem my self and complete this race in more respectable manner. It is August 1st so it is only 5 weeks after the Garry Bjorklund race.

Other benefits
  • It is cheaper only $38 as opposed to $75
  • The course runs right past my house so a post party is mandatory
  • It benefits a Woodlake Nature Center and it is a green race
  • The race was designed to fit in with training for the Twin Cities Marathon in October
There it is, my sanely thought out plan B. I am back to reality and back to trucking along with my goal.

25 comments:

Melanie said...

very sorry to hear that you didn't get in. sounds like a good plan B, and if you decide to try again next year, you will hopefully get in then. :$

Running Around Acres said...

I think you are better are with the half and doing serious training for a full later.

Heather said...

Sounds like a good plan B - good luck with the training!

Chubby Hubby said...

That sounds like a great plan. If we can work it maybe I will run it with you...just a little slower as usual.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Welcome back to the reality-based community, sister!

Hey, wait! This is the blogosphere ... "reality-based"? Who am I kidding?

Welcome back, in any case.

Sounds like a better race you found.

Why did that last sentence come out in Yoda-syntax?

Hmmm ... Just SOUNDS better, I guess ...

Welcome back to the reality-based community, you are!

Marlene said...

Sounds like a great plan, Carly! Sorry that plan A didn't work out, but you seem to have the right attitude... now that your sanity has returned. ;) I can definitely understand the disappointment, but I'm glad you're making the most of it.

Carolina John said...

that sounds like a fun race. it's really cool that the route goes right past your house. and don't forget you'll have tons of fun with Sarge getting her ready for her race.

btw, glaven is totally gay for his pt, tony; if you didnt' know that. harrassment! meat punch!

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear the bad news. :( Although, it does sound like you have a great alternative! That is awesome that it goes right by your house!

RunningLaur said...

I think your alternative is a great idea. You can support Sarge at her race, she can support you at yours - you'll each have a training buddy AND a cheering squad.

TNTcoach Ken said...

I say go stalking and get one of those entries. This is life and death running! Ha

Annie said...

Hey Carly! I know you were rejected from the race, but I wanted to invite you to a screening of running movie "Beyond the Epic Run" in Minneapolis on March 12. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1C0a0jYTYQ

If you want to attend, my e-mail is annie@jenningspr.net. We would love to have you!

Missy said...

Well that sounds like a great plan and I want to come too...at least for the post race party if nothing else!

RunningNan said...

I like plan B way better!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Plan B sounds like a great option!! Go for it!!

MCM Mama said...

Plan B sounds like a great option! I love races that run near my house! Good luck with the training!

WADDLER26.2 said...

Sounds like a great plan B.

raulgonemobile said...

I'd say it's a great plan B. The race looks cool, and having it run right by the house is just awesome.

lindsay said...

plan b sounds pretty good! i think the best part is how you are trying to keep your main goal in check - running well instead of running to meet some sort of pressure and get injured. saving some money never hurts either! :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Oh I like Plan B! And a party is always great!

X-Country2 said...

I think that's a pretty great plan B. Go get 'em!

Catholic Runner said...

Sorry! Whats wrong with those stinkin Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon people. Their loss for not picking you.

Plan B sounds like a winner.

chia said...

I likes the sounds of Plan B :-) Sounds like a lot of fun! Happy training gorgeous!

aron said...

sounds like plan B is a great one!!

Sarge said...

I love your plan B! I am looking forward to being your most enthusiastic cheerleader!

mommie2lea said...

I'm sorry that you received the bad news, but I think that your Plan B is a great one. And the party will rock, I am sure!