Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Day in Doc's Office

Today was my "surgery". It ended up being more of a routine procedure done right in my docs office. I'll spare the details, but the procedure was to control an unruly monthly visitor.

My day started with a shot to the ass. The tech that gave me the shot was new in the office so I thought I would harass her a bit. When she stabbed me with the needle, I said "you could have at least bought me a drink first". She giggled and gave me snark right back. I have a great rapport with the people in this clinic because sadly I am there all. the. time.

When it came time for the big event. I was sitting on the table half nekkid wrapped in a paper drape when a few more people joined the party. My doc said, "You don't mind do ya, Carly?" I just replied dryly "the more the merrier, I love an audience but I will be pissed if I end up on You Tube". Seriously, there were 2 students taking notes, 2 doctors, the tech, and an ultrasound tech. I know that people say that you lose all modesty as you get older, I strongly disagree!!! I get so uncomfortable in these situations that I often make off color jokes. That is precisely what I did. It is not a good idea to try to be funny with people that are holding sharp objects.

The procedure went really well and it was really quick. Afterwards the doc warned that my face would "flush" as a reaction to the procedure. That was a gross understatement! I was tomato red.....and really really hot. Then came some itching, and then a few hives, then a lot of hives, and then the swollen lip, and then my throat got tight. I think you know where this was going....I was having an allergic reaction to something. Not just a little reaction this was full on anaphylaxis. My ass became a pin cushion at that point because I got a shot of Benedryl and a shot of Epinephrine. What a rush!

After the shots and when I was able to breathe again, the doc and I back-tracked to see what could have possibly been the cause. Turns out my shellfish allergy was most likely the culprit. They used Beta dyne to prep the area and as it turns out it is a derivative of shellfish. Funny thing is, I have never had a problem before today.

PSA: When the doc asks if you have any allergies, make sure you tell them EVERYTHING you are allergic to. I found out the hard way that many meds and dyes can be derived from shellfish. I also found out that they will not allow latex around me because of my banana allergy. Evidently the two products are linked somehow. My explanations are very vague because I don't know anything about the science behind it and I am too high on pain meds lazy to look it up. This is crazy stuff and things that I would have never thought to talk to my doc about.

I feel great tonight and I even went to my photography class. Thank God for pain meds! I got the thumbs up to run tomorrow if I feel up to it. I am going to give it a shot.

Speaking of running, I have been doing it throughout the week and was hoping to hit 20 miles for the week. I think I will be short but I am coming close to my goal. Marathon training officially starts on Sunday!

That is that. There is never a dull moment in my life.

26 comments:

Twix said...

Go Carly! 20 miles is fantastic!

Hope those meds continue doing their job and you get to feeling better real soon! Thankful that they were able to reverse the reaction quickly. ((hugs))

Missy said...

Glad you are on the mend. That is how I deal with those jokers too, bad jokes - I mean, you're up to my navel with your arm and an audience...what else you gonna do?!!

Mmmm, pain meds, I'll be over soon...

Marcy said...

LOL you're soooo like me. Like seriously, if you're all up in my bidness my thinking is let's loosen up a bit. I hate when they call me "Mrs McG" when they're all up in there. For F's sake just call me Marcy. I mean you SEE everything don't you?!? We should be on a first name basis don't you think? LOL

lindsay said...

sounds like quite the trip to the doc! glad you survived, esp the anaphylaxis! scary stuff.

you are hardcore for starting marathon training after this doc visit/minor surgery!

D10 said...

Glad you are ok. Crazy reaction, who would have thought. I hate it when they ask if it is ok for students to look on. I always say yes, I am such a sucker.

E Mama said...

Who would have known Bananas and Latex are related in that way! Learn something new everyday! Glad you are going to be back to normal in no time!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow, scary, but glad you're feeling alright now and managed to go to class and wanting to run! Interesting about the allergies too, never would have thought of food allergies during a procedure like that!

Lauren said...

Ugh. I had a similar 'lady problem' and had to go to the ob/gyn about 20 times in a 3 month period. By the end, all I wanted to say was 'Could you please stop looking at my cervix?'. I don't think that ever gets easier with age.

Glad everything worked out for you. I would definitely use having an allergic reaction that caused my throat to swell shut as a reason to not run for a few days, so good for you.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Make sure you tell us how running on pain meds is!!! Latex and banana? WTF?? Oh well, learn something new every day. We are glad you are doing well.

Marci said...

Glad you are on the mend. Yey for marathon training!!

Jess said...

I would never guess that a banana allergy could be at all linked to a latex allergy. Crazy.

Glad the procedure went well and you're recovering nicely.

Diana said...

Scary reaction. I, too, am allergic to shellfish, you'd be amazed at how much stuff has it in there! Once leaving the dentist after getting penicillin for a root canal....my mouth swelled shut and the throat closed-sucks. Glad all is better and good luck with the 20 miles....go get 'em!

Carolina John said...

being allergic to bananas is a new one. it must suck, i love bananas.

Heather said...

What a fun day. :) I do the same thing with those uncomfortable situations. When the doc was sewing up my episiotomy/tear disaster area, I asked him how long it was going to take him finish the quilt and whether he planned on entering it in the fair.

raulgonemobile said...

I can totally understand letting loose with off color remarks..

Like everyone here, I was surprised about the latex-banana link. Intriguing.

I'm glad things went well for you

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things went well, minus the allergic reaction!
Great comments on the "lady problems"! If only I were so clever. Usually I'm paralyzed with discomfort while the doc is rummaging around in that area.

Marlene said...

Sounds like you must have been quite the interesting case. Glad to hear eveything went smoothly and that you had the reaction taken care of. That would have freaked me out!

X-Country2 said...

Wow, what a day! Happy to hear you're okay.

Good luck with those 20 miles. Take care of yourself and go get 'em!

SDrunner said...

Sucks that you're allergic to bananas. But congrats on beginning your marathon training. Which one are you planning to run? I should start mine too..

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Allergic to latex AND shellfish?

Well, forget it, sister, it could never work out between us because those are two of my biggest fetishes. No, sorry - that's a deal-breaker.

We'll never know what could have been, I guess ...

I lurve Teh Marcy's comment!

Doctor: "Come right into my office and disrobe please, Mr. McG ... [catches sight of her vajango] O, it's YOU, Marcy, hi! How you been? I didn't recognize you at first!"

Hahahahahaha!

Sounds like you're not the only one whose life is never dull, sister!

Good job on getting in (nearly) 20 miles despite all the rest of the stuff, sister!

Casey said...

Wow. Your post just let me link together my swollen mouth after eating bananas and rashes when working w/ latex resistance bands.

Sounds like a crazy day for you! When I went to the gyno last, she apologized for her "scratchy fingers" as she was "getting over a gnarly case of poison ivy".

Gag me with a spoon. :D

SeeGirlRun said...

OMG you poor thing. At least you have a supply of pain meds for your next running injury. I always hoard mine if I can "just in case." Hope you're on your feet again in no time.

And I agree with Marcy. If you're looking at my hooha then at least we should be on a first name basis.

Laura

MCM Mama said...

Wow! Glad that you were still at the doctor when the reaction started!

Great job on the mileage and hope you feel better soon!

RunToFinish said...

wow a shot in the ass and an audience, I'm not sure how that visit could have been less interesting

Lily on the Road said...

Nothing like an audience when everyone is looking up the Whazooo ~

Thank goodness your reaction was easily remedied, but scary none the less.

sue said...

成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,ut聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,18成人,成人網站,成人影片,ut聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,a片,微風成人,a片,A片,成人影城,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,A片,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,微風成人區,a片,成人網站,18成人,微風成人,ut聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,ut聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,a片,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,A片,成人影城,成人網站,成人影城,a片,A片,A片,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,微風成人,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,成人影城,成人網站,18成人,微風成人,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,ut聊天室,成人網站,成人影片,微風成人,聊天室,ut聊天室,a片,A片,成人影城,a片