Thursday, May 21, 2009

Shifting Gears

In about a week my life will be doing a complete 180 degree turn. After 7 years of either being a stay at home mom or only working part-time, I am returning back to a 40 hour work week.

I wasn't looking to go back full time. This opportunity kind of fell into my lap. Our department is one of the only lucky places to have at least a temporary spike in funding to allow more manpower because of the massive mountain of work that needs to be completed. I will keep my job that is 20 hours a week and I will be adding another 20 hours doing a different job in my same department. Needless to say, it will be interesting trying to juggle my different roles. It is only a temporary job lasting 2-3 years, however, it was an opportunity I could not pass up.

The best part is my bosses are amazing! They are being unbelievably flexible with my schedule and 3 days out of the 5 I will be done in the early afternoon so I can do my mom duties of shuffling kids to and from school. The worst part about it is the cost of childcare for 3 kids! OUCH!!!! I am still coming out ahead but that expense is a great big bite out of my salary.

There are a few other benefits of me going back. I have access to a much better insurance and I will actually have MORE time carved out to be able to get my workouts in. The thing I am most excited about is NOT being in a car all day long driving back and forth to school.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have any anxiety about my decision. I feel guilty. Guilty that I am kind of looking forward to being around adults everyday and guilty that I am putting my kids into more daycare. I do know deep down that my kiddos will be just fine because they are hyper-social and LOVE being around people. Since we don't have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, this is a great way for them to be with their friends. I still will have plenty of quality time with them too.

I would love some tips on juggling a full time job with the rest of your life.

Other stuff....
I turned my resignation into my retail gig and they wouldn't accept it. They offered me to work 1 shift a week. They offered up a short Monday night shift. I fought it for a bit, then gave in. If it sucks, then I will really quit. Then I can keep the discount for a bit longer and I can have my one night of sanity while I quietly fold t-shirts. A little extra fun money would be nice too.

Next Wednesday is my surgery. It is very minor and to fix "female" stuff. I should be up and running the next day...or so they say.

Next weekend we are having a garage sale. I am arming myself with a camera. The people watching is amazing. I know I will have a great stories of people talking me down from a $.25 knicknack and people that come to steal things. I don't have the sales to make $$, my girlfriend and I get together to catch up and hang out. We start with some strong coffee in the morning and we switch to wine in the afternoon. Love it! We always have a great time and walk away with some of the most "WTF moments".

Hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend. Happy Memorial Day!

24 comments:

lindsay said...

very cool about work! that's extra nice to hear when it seems everyone else is getting negative news. i hope the added work won't add any stress!

hope the surgery is not for anything too serious, and that you will recovery quickly. your yardsale sounds like a real blast - can't wait to hear about it (and see pics!)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

"I would love some tips on juggling a full time job with the rest of your life."

Me too! LOL. For me it's a matter of clearly defining priorities. You don't have time for EVERYTHING.

But you do have time for those things most important. Know what those things are and spend your time accordingly. :-)

E Mama said...

"I know you've got 10 cents on this would you take 5 cents?" LOL..gotta luv them!

Thank God I work for the school system or else I would never get anything done. I still say I don't know how the real world gets it all done and works full time 2!

Good Luck!!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good luck with the surgery!

It's hard to know what to say re: advice on being a working (full-time) parent. Because sometimes it's easy - things just go swimmingly; then other times, well - geez, shiz you could never plan for hits the fan.

So ... plan for what you couldn't possibly expect to foresee is my advice, I guess.

That any help?

We lucked out re: child care. But generally speaking, I think if politicians did more than pay mere lip service to "family values", child care would be a basic right, state subsidized to some extent at least. You shouldn't have to work 40 hours a week just to be treading water.

Man, what a pinko I am, huh?

AND PROUD OF IT!1!

Twix said...

Good luck on your new job duties and new hours!

I stay at home, lol, not all the time. And we homeschool and have 5. So anyways I guess what I am driving at is I'm always busy with something!! And sorry, no, I have no clue on how to help with you upcoming time challenge crunch.

Have a fantastic weekend!!

Diane said...

Congrats on the 'new' job! Do NOT feel guilty!!! Everyone will be just fine and the extra money will rock :)

Heather said...

The mom guilt is so hard. I've worked full time since Sophie was 3 months old, and I know she loves daycare. It is good for them to be around other kids. I've cut out a lot of other stuff to do the important stuff - be with Sophie, run . . . everything else (like cleaning) just gets put to the wayside.

Good luck with the surgery. :)

Diana said...

Can't wait to see the rummage sale pics...always a good time!
Good luck with the surgery and congrats on the job. Definitely good news with how the 'economy' is these days!

raulgonemobile said...

That is precisely the reason I don't ever want to have a garage sale!

Sounds like you've got some good life changes ahead.. things like that are always scary & uncertain (and bring up things like guilt and all of that), but you've obviously thought about it and made the right decision.

Good luck with the surgery

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good luck and speedy recovery with the surgery, and the new opportunity at work sounds great! But I agree, don't feel guilty... sounds like a great decision for everyone. Slow cookers can be your friend for dinner, and pre-planning meals, which I'm sure you already do well anyway :)

MCM Mama said...

Good luck with the "new" job. It sounds like a cool opportunity. I've been home for four years now and was PT for three years before that and I'm really starting to get an itch to find something again.

X-Country2 said...

Good luck with the juggle of life, but congrats on the great job opportunity. It's always nice to know you're needed.

mrjwhit~ said...

I always like reading your blog. Thanks for commenting about your growing biz.

D10 said...

Congrats on moving to full time! I am sure you'll find a routine in no time. Very cool that you have a nice boss. Child care is so expensive!

I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday.

Missy said...

We women's have too much plumbing, I swear to you! What a total pain. Best of luck with that.

I have no $.02 because I have no kids BUT I'm certain they will be just fine. You will probably be more stressed about it than they will.

RBR said...

I am horridly behind and catching up. Good luck with your transition. I have no advice. I don't know how you mom's do it. You are all amazing.

I can't wait to hear about the Garage sale!!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Its good hear that people are getting more work. I hope they are paying you for the additional 20 hours. LOL

Don't feel guilty. You are an adult!!

Marcy said...

Guilt? What's that? At this point in time a pack of wild animals would do a better job raising my kids HAHA! GOOD FOR YOU Carly!! ;D ;D

Meg said...

oh wow, your life just got BUSY! Congrats on the extra work hours. I'd really appreciate you passing along any tips you get on juggling your time. It's something I've *never* been good at!

Sarah said...

Our garage sale was a couple of weeks ago...always a fun time here too! :) Hope you guys have a great day.

Miz said...

man if only I had some great tips.
I toss all my balls up in the air and pray none of them smack me on the way down.

Stace said...

Good luck with the surgery!
You will do a great job of balancing the kids and work. I hope you enjoy being back full time!

Brandi said...

Congrats on work! That is so exciting, I think you are going to be great. :D

Kelly said...

I have no tips cause A) I don't have kids, and B) I don't keep my apartment as clean as I should. Plus, I have yet to figure it out myself. I feel like I just don't have enough free time in the day! (Especially when you have to work 2pm-11pm shifts).