Monday, June 15, 2009

I Hope This Gets Easier

Today is a rest day, however, I am training myself to be up and at it with the birds. I am usually up by 5:30 but even an extra half an hour really makes a difference. OMG....I am I slow moving this morning *rubbing eyes*.

Now that I am officially in training, I have set up a few guidelines for myself so I don't gain the marathon 15. I swear, I am the only one who can train for an endurance event and GAIN weight. Both of the marathons I have run in the past came with a pretty hefty gain. I really really want to avoid that at all costs and maybe even drop a couple.

I am armed with a plan this time. The following list might seem like ridiculous common sense but I often fall prey to the running entitlement trap. What I mean by running entitlement is that I justify treats based on my running. I say things to myself like "I can have (fill in the blank) because I just ran (x number) of miles." That theory was tried and tested 2 times with the end result of a fatter ass in the end. Here are my rules guidelines:

  • Up at the crack o' dawn to do my weekly training runs. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is really the only time I have to do it.
  • Invest in my OWN alarm clock. The alarm is currently on Chubby Hubby's side of the bed and he has alarm ESP....I swear he shuts that thing off before it goes off. I have the same problem so I need a loud one that goes off across the room.
  • No Chipotle until October 5th. Being back at work full time means the crew always wants to go out to lunch and we have a Chipotle right across the street. I can't leave there without chips and I can't afford those calories.
  • French Fries. Just say no.
  • Coke. I have developed a nasty habit...not the snorting kind, the cola kind. There is nothing better than an ice cold Coke over ice. This might have to be an after run treat.
  • Incorporating more cross training. I have access to a HUGE gym next door to my building. I want to make it over there at least 2-3 times a week over lunch to so some sort of activity that isn't running. I think this might be my most helpful as I always feel my body "gets used" to running. Does that even make sense?
  • Limit my alcohol consumption. I am not that dedicated to give it up completely but I am going to (try) limit my indulgence to one night during the weekend and keep it at 1 or 2.
This is kind of a big lifestyle change for me all at once. I am realistic that I might not always be a rule follower to the letter, however, this list gives me some guidance. I just hope it all gets easier!

Today's plan is a bag lunch from home and a trip to the gym for some light cross training.

26 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Good luck!!

btw, you are not the ONLY one who has problems with training and gaining weight. It isn't fair, though!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

cross-training will most certainly help!! All the best for your training, sounds like you have a great plan :)

Lily on the Road said...

Carly, thanks for the reality check. What a great list and no you aren't the only one to gain weight during training.

Cycling really helps for cross training and of course weights for upper body. You'll rock this thing and really thanks again, I'll set my alarm too and get my lazy ass out of bed....call me,

LOL...

D10 said...

You are going to do great this time around. I have found that making a nice shake (soy milk, peanut butter, banana, ice) after a long workout helps curve my appetite.

Diana said...

Sounds good, but saying it is the easy part, now you have to live it! Good luck, you can do it!

Marlene said...

I could have written that myself. I also gained weight in training for my first marathon and I'm REALLY hoping to lose a few before my next attempt in September. I have similar "rules" for myself. WE CAN DO IT!

MCM Mama said...

Those are some good rules! I gained a bit while marathon training, but even more afterwards when I stopped running so many miles, but didn't stop eating...

So jealous of a convenient gym!

VeeGettingHealthy said...

you'll do just fine. you've identified your problem spots and isn't that a big part of the battle? just remember... that beer and cola etc will still exist later, which is when you can decide to indulge! Vee at www.veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Cyndi said...

I gained 5 pounds during half marathon training - doesn't seem fair! You have a good list here though and you have the benefit of experience to guide you!

A good friend (Tri-athlete) friend of mine shared a mantra recently that I love:

Push the mind, the body will follow.

That can apply in so many ways to training...whether it's pushing your mind to get out of bed and go in the early mornings, or turning down a night out for a coule of drinks! And of course the obvious, pushing the mind when the runs get tough...

You're going to do great - I can't wait to follow along your progress!

Jess said...

Good luck with the plan!

Heather said...

That sounds like a good plan. A Chipotle across the street would be tough for me . . . I love Chipotle. Good luck with the training!

lindsay said...

sounds like a good plan! i know i often get caught up in "well i ran so i can eat this" when really, i still can't. (when it's super unhealthy) i mean a dairy queen blizzard is over 600 cals! good luck staying focused and keeping the marathon 15 off :)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Good idea to have an actual plan. For the eating side of the equation, some people keep journals of what they eat. You have to be brutally honest about what you ate and how much, but I've heard it helps because foax look at it after a week and go:

'SWEET BABY JEBUS!1! NO WONDER I'M A FAT-@$$!1"

Not that I'm implying you are. But i think most people are a little startled to see all they ate when they are confronted with a list written out, in black and white.

In fact, I may try this soon, because I've ballooned up past what I consider my optimum weight myself.

Good luck with it all, sister - the food and the cross-training!

Jennifer said...

I gained weight when I was training for my half ... so you are not the only one. Your goals look great. Good Luck

X-Country2 said...

Good luck with your guideline. I owuldn't make it 2 weeks without Chipotle. You're a stronger woman than me. :o)

Megsie said...

Great list! Print it out and stick it on your computer at work and at home. And on the food cupboard. And in your car. Ok. I will stop. My body "gets used" to running too. Jumping Rope is always my cross training. My dumb foot put me back a week, but I ran today and yesterday...so I think I am back on track. NOW...I need to stop the munching habit. I just don't want to.

RBR said...

Oh, my dear, you are NOT the only one that can train for an endurance event and gain weight. I have done so for EVERY major event I have done.

Case in point, I was NOT Athena (athletes over 150 pounds) legal when I registered for Ironman, but now, 6 days out I am. *sigh*

You are VERY smart to plan ahead!

p.s this is a Chubby Chicks Can Run exclusive. I have not reported this horridly embarrassing detail yet anywhere else.

Kelly said...

Your issues sound familiar. I have an addiction to coke that is hard to break (the only way: eliminate it from the house!). Best of luck!!! Just say no!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Good LUCK!!!

I think you have a solid plan. Just stick with it.

raulgonemobile said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that needs my own alarm clock across the room. That's the only way I can force myself to get up, alas.

Good luck with the training, it seems like you've got the right approach..

Missy said...

I'm eating tuna and veggies at my desk, totally get it. I'm a whore for chips and salsa.

Coke is my FAVORITE. I allow myself ONE after a long run or ride only...and only if I'm dripping with sweat and really earned it. They ARE the best with lots of crushed ice....

tfh said...

Oh, I definitely gained the marathon 15. (Well, okay, more like five, but it feels like 15 when you're running 26.2 in spandex.) Your plan sounds good! When it comes to Chipotle, I make myself bring half my burrito home to my husband and tell myself I'm being a good wife. But clearly, I'm just trying to make us both equally fat. :)

Casey said...

I always gain weight when I run. I have somehow convinced myself that it's a measureable amount of strength!

Carolina John said...

i didn't make a concious decision to give up alcohol completely, i just never found the time to pop open a cold one. maybe the opportunity will arise soon now that my marathon is done?

cross training is the best. i always strive to keep balance in training. that means hitting the bike, rowing machine, pool, eliptical, whatever possible AND getting in some strength training. have fun with the cross training, that turned out to be my favorite part!

Tammy said...

Nope, I think most people struggle with weight gain during marathon training.

Good luck with the plan. I've come to the conclusion that I need to make small changes like those you describe. When I obsess about every bite, I tend to more likely to wind up out of control.

aron said...

you are going to do great!!! you have a great plan set up there. two alarms is KEY in my house!