Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pink Eye, Parties, and EVERYTHING in Between

This exceptionally crazy week has kept me away from my blog and out of blogland so I am extremely behind. I have lots of catching up to do as my reader is keeping track AND lots to write about.

I did come out of hiding briefly to catch Ms. Marcy's final blog post. I know all good things must come to an end, but I am going to miss her snarky little self. Her blog was one of the first ones I followed and I always ended up laughing my ass off and calling others over to see some of the stuff she came up with. Marcy, if you are reading this....Best of luck to you! If you get bored and miss blogging, you could always start one about raising children. Your philosophy works wonders with my kiddos. (kidding)



As I mentioned last week, this past Monday was my first day back to work on a full time schedule. I feel a slight (notice only a slight) pang of guilt for enjoying it so much. I am on a better schedule and I feel like things are running smoothly now. Don't get me wrong, working part-time was great, however with the schedule that I had, I never felt connected to the job and I never felt connected at home. I always felt I needed to be where I wasn't. I worried about work when I was at home and vice-versa. Now I am there everyday, my work doesn't stress me out and I refuse to bring it home. It is funny that I have to work more to find a little sanity.


One of the challenges that comes with being at the office more is all the FOOD! This past week we had a retirement potluck, Friday bagels, and a buffet of donuts for National Donut Day. Ay yi yi....I need to nip this in the bud because I can feel the chub creeping up just from this past week.



Of course my transition back into the workforce could not go without some good old fashion kid drama. Last Monday, my middle child got a raging ear infection and Pink Eye. Luckily Chubby Hubby was able to rearrange his work schedule to stay home for a couple of days. Anyone who has had pink eye knows how fast that shit spreads.....Diva got it then I of course got it. I ended up missing work on Thursday because of it. Thankfully, this isn't a brand new job and my bosses know me.

Yesterday we had a party for my dad's 60th birthday at our house. We threw a lamb on an open fire spit in our backyard and had an AMAZING spread of food......4 meats, lots of salads, and a whole table of desserts. We Serbs know how to throw together a party!!!!!

I spent the better part of my evenings this past week prepping for the big event. I have gotten to a point where these parties are second nature and I can plan them in my sleep. I did get a little stressed when the weather didn't cooperate. I had a wonderful backyard party planned. We have been DESPERATE for rain. Our prayers were answered on the day of the party.....*sigh*. A little (OK, a lot) of rain didn't ruin the day. We all piled into my teeny tiny house. It was like a frat party but no one cared. The food was awesome and the booze was flowing and that is all that mattered.

Here are a few pics of the lamb roasting on the spit. Sorry PETA.....


The prep work. You can only imagine the dirty jokes that came about from this shot.


Round and round on the open fire. We did burn a perfectly grassy spot in our yard.

We had to rig a tarp to protect it from the rain

The only really bummer about the day was that I was left with 3/4 of a keg of beer. Boo. Nobody was excited to drink cold beer on a cold and rainy day. Anyone want to come over and help us fry the keg?
On a separate note...marathon training started this week. I have followed the program except for today. Today is Sunday and I am couch surfing all. day. long. I am exhausted from this week and Diva sneezed on me, graciously sharing her cold. I feel like ass and I am not moving today. I am rescheduling my long run for tomorrow morning. I have 6 miles on the books before work tomorrow....we'll see how that goes. ha!
Believe it or not, this is the condensed version of my week. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I am off to tackle my Google Reader since I am not getting out of my sweats today.

19 comments:

Carlee said...

yuck; i had just had a cold and it's a doozy. Looks like a exciting week and yay for getting into training. I officially start tomorrow.

MCM Mama said...

That sounds like a crazy week. Glad you are settling into working full time. Good luck with the marathon training!

BTW, I'm going to be in St.Paul the end of June. If that's anywhere near you, send me a quick note on facebook.

mommie2lea said...

Congrats on surviving your first week back at work full-time, but BOO on the pink eye and the cold!

Hope you feel less like ass soon.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I hate when people don't drink the keg. I can't drink it ALL.

Sounds like a busy week, but that you wouldn't know what to do if it was any other way.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Way to get through the first week of full time work.

pink eye is YUCK

Jess said...

As always, it sounds crazy busy with you! Hope you get those 6 miles in tomorrow!

Missy said...

I hope you achieved your goal and are still on the sofa today! I am totally there to support you in floating that keg. I'll be right over.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad your first week is done, sorry about the pink eye though, that sucks. and yes, office food seems to be everywhere, honestly, that's one of the biggest things I don't miss working at home! Hope you've gotten some rest and recharged a bit, and next week is a lot smoother :)

D10 said...

Rough week back to work! Glad you are enjoying the routine. Hope everyone in your house is feeling much better.

Marlene said...

Phew, I'm pooped just reading all of that.

Glad to hear things are going well with your new work schedule. I have a heck of a time at work with all the food. Ugh.

Good luck with marathon training, now that it's officially underway.

Tammy said...

Definitely one thing that work is good for- a schedule.

If only you lived closer, I would come to help you out with that keg. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Megsie said...

I love frat parties! Hope you feel better soon. Are you going on Thursday night?

Heather said...

Glad the full time work is going well. Sorry about the pink eye and ear infection crap - yuck!

X-Country2 said...

Want to come plan a party like that for me? My friends and family would LOVE lamb and beer. :o)

raulgonemobile said...

I'd be willing to throw down a couple of beers. Have one for me, at least.

That's quite a week, what with work & family & all of that. Makes me tired trying to read it all. Here's to the new (and quieter?) week!

lindsay said...

can you deliver beer to my work? that would be excellent. i could use a keg about now... :)

oh and bring me some sweats while you're at it. you have quite the life!

Carolina John said...

good job getting into the marathon plan! stick with it carly.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You made me cry with your tale of that unwanted beer!

People can be SO heartless!

VeeGettingHealthy said...

Great week and fun party. Never let a little rain ruin anything. Good for you for noticing the pitfalls at work! Vee at www.veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com