Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Research Subject

I signed on to be a human lab rat. I received a letter from a researcher looking for participants to help gather data about how working mothers fit in exercise into their day. The study is being funded by one of the health care systems along with a few local investigators that are interested in developing health programs targeted at busy moms. Since I am a working mother with young kids and I work in research, this study was interesting to me. So I agreed to help out.

My commitment is 4 interviews, 2 in person and 2 via telephone over a 12 month period. I need to track my movement with a pedometer for a week prior to each meeting. The criteria to be eligible for the study was to have children under 9 years old, to work outside of the home, and to be at least 18 years of age. I fit their profile.

It sounds pretty painless. There was no mention being strapped down to a table to take DNA samples. They are also compensating me with Target gift cards. Who doesn't like a Tar-jay gift card? What do I have to lose? Maybe this will keep me motivated to stay on the wagon.

Speaking of exercise, I got out and did my 4.2 mile training run tonight. I felt heavy and sick to my stomach...it was probably because I ate spaghetti 20 minutes before heading out. My PSA: Don't do that. The training program said I needed to do hills. I wasn't in the mood to travel outside my 'hood tonight so I just headed out and hit up some steep stairs leading to a freeway overpass. Good enough in my book.

19 comments:

Jess said...

The study sounds interesting, and like you said, who doesn't like a Target GC?

lindsay said...

sounds fun! target gift cards = great payment, especially when you don't have to do much but continue to get your workouts in! one step closer to a pro athlete :)

Oz Runner said...

that sounds like a fun project, where can i sign up for the "working fathers" experiment?

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like great motivation to me!

D10 said...

Sounds like a cool study. I would be very interested in their results.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Interesting. Might motivate you as well! You're gonna' be a curve buster with all that running.

Missy said...

Uh, yeah, who can't walk out of target for less than $150...tell me WHO?

How fun..

Marlene said...

Sounds like a cool study to be involved in, and bonus about the gift cards!

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds great as long as no DNA nor frontal lobotomy are involved I say go for it!

Just catching up, OMFG, that mobile beer cooler is freeking awesome! I want one!

RunningLaur said...

I always looked at those studies looking for college students - this one seems pretty legit :)

Carolina John said...

that sounds like fun!

unathleticrunner said...

How fun! Sounds like easier than being an actual lab rat..hehe :)
Good job on the steps :)

Heather said...

The study sounds neat. Good job getting your run in! On evening runs, struggle with feeling sick because I eat right before or feeling like I'm going to pass out from hunger!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Yay on the Targhetto gift cards!

Spaghetti then running...not very swift.
:)

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice!! Working out ALONG WITH a Target Gift Card?! Sweet!

AKA Alice said...

Gotta love the Tar-jay gift card...makes it worth your while.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Man, next time, go for the run 10 minutes after the spaghetti meal because we could really use a good vomit story!

[CajolingVoice] I'll give you a Target Giiiiifft Certificaaaaaattttee ...[/CajolingVoice]

RunToFinish said...

oh but what if they did strap you to a table, that might be kind of interesting too you know...what that's a different sort of experiment

Kelly said...

Save the spaghetti for AFTER the run!

That sounds like an awesome study... I would totally partake (wait... do I have to have kids to be in it? Nevermind).