Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thank God for Advil!

This pain in my neck is really starting to annoy me. I am still having a hard time turning my head and sleeping has been almost impossible. My miracle worker chiropractor is helping but there is still one big problem in my neck shoulder area that just is being stubborn. I am doing just about everything I can think of to get relief: heat, ice, massage, chiropractor, foam roller, narcotics, pissing, moaning, and Advil. So far Advil seems to be the only winner.

The old saying "I haven't got time for the pain" was my motto this weekend. Afterall, I have a marathon to train for and I have already missed enough big runs. Friday and Saturday I attempted the training runs and ended up ralking (run/walk) for only 2.7 miles. Today, I rocked if I do say so myself. I completed the scheduled 9 miles in 1:45 (that is pretty quick for me). I felt great the entire time. I took a few Advil prior and stretched prior to getting out there. Whatever I did worked to get me through it. Now that the run is over, I don't feel any worse. I am crossing my fingers that this issue resolves itself soon.

As usual, there is never a dull moment when I am out on a run. Today's sighting stopped me in my tracks. There was a guy, a young chap walking in my direction. I noticed he was staggering a bit and walking really really slow. When I got closer, I noticed he was carrying a drink, was missing an eyebrow, and had a large penis drawn on his face in permanent marker. I was laughing so hard I had to stop running and call Chubby Hubby. Too bad I didn't have a camera. I guess this dude had to learn the hard way...don't pass out.

24 comments:

mommie2lea said...

Awesome run, and even with the pain! You are amazing! But I am kind of pissed now because I keep singing "I haven't got time for the pain" over and over in my head... grrr....

And about that guy, OMG I hope it wasn't in permanent marker or else work will be fun tomorrow. ;)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

great job on your niner.

tooo freakin' funny about that guy. the funniest thing I ever saw while running was a guy smoking a cigar while riding a bike with a six pack strapped to the back.

i must say, you win.

teacherwoman said...

I hope the neck gets better soon! Nice work on the run!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh...that poor guy!

Congrats on a great run, despite your neck problem. Hope it goes away soon!

lindsay said...

what time of day was this dude stumbling down the road? lol. too funny!

hope your neck starts feeling better soon! too bad pissing & moaning isn't a good enough therapy ;)

Amanda said...

Oh wow, that would have made a great pic for Photo Friday:) I hope the neck feels better soon. Excellent job on your 9 miler!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you added "drawn on his face". Otherwise, you'd have a much different story.

Congrats on the 9 miles. I'd lake a 1:45 time on that any day.

Marlene said...

Awesome run! It must have felt good to get out there for some distance... despite the unusual "sighting".

Jess said...

Nice job with the 9 miler, despite the neck pain!

Carolina John said...

so advil is all it took to make the chubby hubby go away? i mean the pain in the neck? give it some time, it will feel better soon.

RunningLaur said...

Good job getting in the miles! Sometime I think that I keep running just so I can see crazy things like that at the park. :)

Tammy said...

Great job on the run!

What? The pissing and moaning didn't help? I find that to always be the cure for what ails me...
:-P

Mrs. Teapot said...

That's great you determined and finished your 9 mile run. Very motivational.

BTW, I would like to know how you were able to put on your sidebar your running times? This is something I would like to put on my blog.

Much appreciated....

Sarah said...

That's hilarious. Poor guy.. lol.

D10 said...

Sorry to hear the neck is still giving you trouble. But, nice job running nine. Funny about the guy. I wonder if he had taken a look in the mirror yet.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

OMG, the poor guy. Hope he's looked in a mirror before going to work! Hope the back feels better soon! Great run regardless!

Missy said...

Sorry to hear about the pain in the neck and I don't mean hubs;) I so wish you had a camera, that's priceless!

X-Country2 said...

Ah college. Good times. :o)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

You sure that p*nis shape wasn't a birthmark?

Because I have a birthmark like that.

Luckily, it's on my p*nis.

Heather said...

Great job on the long run, especially with that neck pain!

MCM Mama said...

Hope your neck is starting to feel better. Good job getting the run in anyways.

Totally LOL at the guy. Reminds me of the pranks my husband's fraternity brothers pulled in college. (Heck, if anyone was stupid enough to get that drunk now, they'd still do it and we are all around 40 years old LOL)

Marci said...

Good job on the run, especially with the neck pain. That guy learned the hard way not to pass out.. LOL!

Emily said...

Awesome job with the run! I can hardly do anything when I'm in pain, let alone run nine miles. I must agree though, Advil works miracles, I always have it with me! Good luck training for your marathon!

Al's CL Reviews said...

LOL at the guy!