Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend Wrap-up

The awesome factor of this weekend was ranked "extremely high". Why? Because I have been doing absolutely nothing. My parents were kind enough to take all three kids for a few days because we do not have childcare next week. While my kids are having fun with the grandparents, I have been doing a little RnR. Chubby Hubby and I have been able to hang out and actually finish a conversation. Imagine that,a real conversation. I also was able to sleep in and have brunch at one of my favorite places today. I miss my little munchkins, but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a the quiet time.

I finally had to suck it up and buy a new pair of running shoes. Shopping for new running shoes is about as bad as shopping for a swimming suit. I feel so out of place walking into a running shop. Everyone that works there are "typical" runners and weigh about 100lbs. My very first time I got fitted for running shoes, the guy helping me told me I needed a motion control shoe because they were better for "heavier runners". Ever since then,I feel like everyone is staring at me thinking "Oh, look at the fat girl taking on running". I do realize that thought is my own insecurity shining through.

Marathon training has really been hard. My weekday runs have been getting skipped because of family obligations and my long runs are suffering. I can't go a week without running and expect to pull off double digit mileage. Today's run ended up being a 4 mile run/walk. Meh. At least the shoes felt good.

I will continue to train and I will do the best that I can for this race. However, going forward I don't think I will be doing any more marathons until the kids are a bit older. I don't seem to have enough time to devote to training right now. In one of the conversations I had with Chubby Hubby, we agreed that running shorter races wold be more realistic right now.

Tomorrow is back to work and I am very excited because Sarge will be back! She has been gone for almost a month for some training. Until then I am going back to enjoy my precious quiet time.

17 comments:

X-Country2 said...

For every person you think it judging you in the running store, there's a dozen more out and about who wish they could marathon train like you. :o)

MCM Mama said...

I'm so jealous of the quiet time. It's been a while since I completed a sentence, much less a conversation whilst talking with my husband.

I hear you on the marathon training. It takes a lot of time and I don't even have a full time job to juggle and I find it overwhelming.

Good luck getting as much in as you can.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

hang in there with the training, you're doing great, it's still early, it'll come together. Enjoy the down-time! :D

Megsie said...

Oh, Carly~ I feel the same way... today's run SUCKED because I skipped two days. Plus, if I don't run right when I get up for some reason it is just a harder run. Maybe I am not awake or something, so I don't feel as much pain. I also feel the same with the running shoes shopping. Don't let them get to you... and I am jealous. I LOVE new shoes. Hope you had a great R&R weekend. I am jealous of that too!

lindsay said...

sorry to hear the running isn't going so well lately! :-/ hopefully you'll be able to find enough time for yourself, but i can certainly understand all the juggling you moms have to do! i definitely can't imagine - i can barely handle my own life. i always think about all my mom running-bloggers out there when i start to think about how 'busy' i am - i can't hold a candle to you! hang in there!

Diana said...

Keeping your goals in line with your other "things in life" is a great idea. That way you won't get so frustrated and just give up. Keep up with the smaller, obtainable things. Gradually, hear and there, up it a little when things are smoother at the home front! Just DON'T give up!!!

D10 said...

Sounds like you had a nice quiet weekend. Trying to work, train and be a mom is hard. Especially when you kids are active. Participating in shorter races will proably be more enjoyable because you won't have to stress out as much about getting enough training in.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

"Heavier runners"? Geez, anonymous shoe store drone! Way to ensure repeat business!

I can't believe a sales person said that to you!

Congrats on the new kicks, sister!

Please tell me "conversation" is your euphemism for "sex" because the kids are away and ally you and CH do is talk?

That just ain't right, sister!

Carolina John said...

enjoy the kidless time. we're soooooo ready to drop ours off for a while with the grandparents.

Kelly said...

Man, I would ditch that running store and find a new one! Flattery means EVERYTHING!

I know what you mean though. I go to triathlons and feel like all those super ripped, tan girls are staring at me and pegging this as my first time because I'm totally NOT in shape.

Amanda said...

You should rock in there in a race-tee next time. I just like it that us "heavier runners" get to be called Athenas in some races:)

Heather said...

Lucky you with a quiet weekend! I don't know how you fit in the marathon training with three kids . . . I only have one and thought it was tough!

Jess said...

Glad you got to enjoy a restful, kid-free weekend!

And, from the people I've seen at races, those people in the running stores must see a pretty wide range of shapes and sizes come through their doors.

Running Around Acres said...

the good ones aren't judging you and the others should be fired. I wear motion control shoes as well. I am not 135lb Kenyan. Just go with it. And if you want to see terrible form running, come to central Illinois and gander at me.

lose 50 pounds quick said...

looking forward to read more.

mommie2lea said...

I totally get that feeling about the running stores! I feel like a whale whenever I enter one.

It is nice to have the quiet time with the bebes away, and I am glad that you got some good time with your man.

Skylar Masey said...

I too am a motion control gal, but because I have flat feet and a hip injury has led me to even worse pronation. That's not to say that I'm not chunky, and that I also think Hmm...are they saying look at that fat girl running? Oh, well...they're not on the track and in a foot race I'd still win since I train daily :0)