Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Hodge Podge of Semi Blogable Things

It has been almost a week since my last post. This working full-time thing is really putting a damper on my blogging. Hmmmmfp!!! Here is a brief overview of the last week.

Tornado:
Yesterday a tornado hit South Minneapolis. I work in that area and everyone in our building was sent to the evacuation area....we were instructed to go after it came and went. Lucky for us it did not hit our building. When I heard about what area was hit, I got a little worried because my children's daycare provider is right in that vicinity. I called and everyone was fine, no damage, and in fact they didn't know there was a storm.

I left work to pick up the kiddos and entered a war zone. Trees were down EVERYWHERE and the streets were flooded on parts of my route! It took me well over an hour to go 4 miles to pick up the kids. I was amazed because two blocks away from my day care providers house, there was nothing but chaos but her block was fine. You honestly would not have known a tornado just ripped through the neighborhood.

Health Rewards:
Today marks the eighth time going to the gym which fulfills my health rewards requirement for the month. It was an easy way to earn $20 and it was a painless way to get out of the office for an hour at lunch. Plus it is GREAT entertainment watching young college dudes show off to try and pick up chicks at the gym. I go just to watch this young fella kiss his muscles and admire himself in the mirror. It is better than any soap opera. ha!

Research Study:
You may recall from a prior post that I chose to participate in a research study about work/family balance. I have to do two things, wear a pedometer for seven consecutive day and then follow up with an interview. This is to be repeated 4 times. I had my first interview and wore my pedometer for 7 days. I was surprised to learn that I walk well over ten thousand steps in an average day without doing anything out of the ordinary. Makes me wonder why I am fat???!!! The interview was little over an hour and I was rewarded with a Target gift card.

Weight Watchers:
I am down another 1.4lbs. Woo Hoo! I am inching closer to the weight I started the program at last year. What can I say...I am an overachiever.

That pretty much sums up the week. Tomorow back to the grind and counting down the minutes until the weekend!

20 comments:

Aka Alice said...

Yeah...work and blogging. The two don't mix.

Glad everyone was OK!

Missy said...

Glad to hear that everyone is fine! Mother Nature is one scary biatch.

D10 said...

Glad all is ok after the tornado. Sounds like things are going really well for you. Keep working it girl.

lindsay said...

wow! glad everyone is OK after the storm. scary stuff!

too funny about the gym 'soap opera'. gotta love the meatheads!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Tornados are scary!

Good job on the weight loss. I seem to be stuck right now on my weight loss endeavor. I guess not going up is okay though. sigh.

Shannon said...

What a feeling to realize your children could be in harms way. I'm glad they were okay.

Way to go with the loss of weight. I just posted my weight on my blog, insane, I know. But I needed to face it and I think it will keep me on track.

Glad to have you back, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Marlene said...

Work is always getting in the way... *sigh*

Glad to hear everyone is okay after the tornado!

Have a great weekend, Carly!

RunToFinish said...

wow my SIL just had a baby in Minne and didn't realize there was a tornado...freaky!! What if it hit while she was giving birth, woudln't that be a story. Ok maybe not a nice one.

way to go on 1.4 lbs! share the tips!! I'm ready to lose these clingers

Al's CL Reviews said...

I hear you about the chaos on one block and fine the next during a Tornado. Atlanta was the same way.

Good job on the WL and getting to the gym.

I'm glad you and the kiddos were safe.

Heather said...

Congrats on the weight loss! And the Target gift card. :)

Carolina John said...

that's a crazy week carly! have a good weekend.

teacherwoman said...

I heard about that tornado. My sister's office is downtown and they were evacuated to the stairs. That doesn't seem to make much sense to me. LOL.

I wish we were able to get a healthcare discount at our gym. unfortunately it is not part of our insurance plan. I hope they keep working towards that, because I could earn $40 if it were possible. LOL.

Nice job on the weight loss!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

we had tornados here yesterday too which rarely if ever happens! Glad you and yours are ok. Have a great weekend!

MCM Mama said...

What a crazy week! Glad to hear you are all ok.

Good job on the weight loss.

X-Country2 said...

Glad everyone is safe and sound. Tornados are no joke!

Lily on the Road said...

Good job on your weight loss Carly, hey have you ever asked the kid is you could kiss his muscles? JK

That is so scary to think that the tornado was so close to your kids daycare...I'm so glad everyone is okay.

Nathalie said...

Awesome on the weight loss!

Lauren said...

I'd love to get down to my WW starting weight! Keep up the good work.

Kate said...

Great Job on the loss, I'm hoping to be following behind you soon!

Rozette said...

I don't mind the hurricanes down here...except the last one that destroyed my little town but tornados scare me...the come so quickly and are so unpredictable. I am glad everyone is okay.


Fluffy in Seabrook