Thursday, September 10, 2009

No More Guac for Me


Avocados are now on my do not eat list. Shortly after lunch today, my mouth started itching and my throat felt tight. It was an all too familiar feeling and I knew right away that it was the guac I had with my chips. I knew God was going to get me in one way or another because I broke my vow of staying away from Chipotle. Thankfully I did not need to shoot myself with my Epi pen or visit the ER, a Benedryl took care of this reaction.

Here is my current list of foods that can kill me:

Peaches
Plums
Apricots
Bananas
Cherries
Apples
Pears
Avocados
Almonds
Chicken
Turkey
Shellfish

Do you notice anything about this list? Anything at all?? Yeah...it all healthy stuff. It is all the stuff that I should be eating. It is all the food that is referenced in every diet book in the world. Why can't I be allergic to chocolate, McDonalds, and beer? I don't mean that. My options are getting mighty limited when I take out the allergy list to and add it to the food that is not figure friendly. Pretty soon I will be limited to lettuce and water. At least then maybe I will be below my Weight Watchers starting weight.

I came across an article today as I was reading a bit about food allergies and this paragraph stuck out:

Since allergies to a single food are uncommon if you are allergic to avocado then the possibility of you developing a cross-reaction to other foods is increased. Because of the similarity between the allergens of latex and avocado if you are allergic to one then there is a good chance you may develop an allergy to the other. Other foods to be on the lookout for are banana, bay leaf, cantaloupe, chestnuts, cinnamon kiwi, and mango.

I found this very interesting since I am deathly allergic to bananas and that I was told that I would also be treated for a latex allergy when I was in the hospital. I did not realize that avocados were in the same type of category. For those of you that are fellow food allergy sufferers, cross reactions are definitely something to keep your eye on. It seems like as I get older my food allergies are getting worse and thing and I am becoming allergic to more things.

This latest discovery bums me out because I am a huge fan of guacamole. I guess that is one way to get me to stop eating chips.

20 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

yikes! Glad you're ok, but that would suck, i love guacamole too.

Carlee said...

No fun; sorry about that!!! Scary way to find stuff like that out!

lindsay said...

that's a weird list! guess you'll have to stick to chocolate. what a shame... ;)

i get mouth-itchyness when i eat apples, peaches, grapes. i think it's from the pollens on the skin? i can have cooked forms but not the raw. ...can't say i'm THAT disappointed, but i can still have other fruits at least.

glad you are ok!

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, that is very interesting and scary at the same time...wonder what your body is going through, I have a friend of mine who after having had her kids developed an Immune Deficiency, makes you wonder doesn't it....

Jess said...

Wow, that's quite a lengthy list!

Marlene said...

I prefer my chips with salsa. :)

Sandy said...

I would absolutely die if I couldn't eat avocados anymore! But I, too, am deathly allergic to shellfish. I guess I don't miss that one, though! Glad you're okay!

X-Country2 said...

Whoa, that's scary! Glad you're a-ok.

aron said...

oh no that is so sad :( i love avocado! wow you are allergic to a lot of stuff!!! thats no fun :(

Saface Macdonald said...

I had no idea about cross reactions! My son is starting to show sign of severe food allergies and I find that interesting. I hope you don't continue to find too many other good foods that you CAN'T eat!

Aka Alice said...

Your list looks A LOT like mine (except for the avocados and bananas)...

I add nuts and most raw veggies that grow on a vine (peas, snow peas, zucchini...that kind of thing).

Can you eat those fruits when cooked (Like Lindsay, I can)...at least that means I can have pie!

joyRuN said...

I've never had that feeling like my throat is about to close up - yikes!

I love avocados & would be so very sad if I were allergic, but hey - looks like you can have chocolate, beer & wine :)

teacherwoman said...

holy crap. that's a lot of healthy food to be allergic too. how frustrating.

Miz said...

YIKES so scary.

Im really sensitive to gluten but not in a life threatening way ---in a lovely yucky looking skinrashway.


That is a tough list to avoid when trying to eat healthy and yet interesting what AKA ALICE says about the cooking.

does that help?

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sorry about the guac allergy.

I thought I had a rough time being allergic to turkey but not chicken.

Glad you are ok!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

are you sure it's the avocado and not some spice in the guac? Sorry...that probably makes your list even longer...

Missy said...

sonofabitch, that's not even fair!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Oh my goodness - I'm soooo sorry! I love avocados :(

AdaptaGal said...

Holy cow! So what the heck are you eating these days? I can't imagine life without some of those things.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Ugh!! How annoying, that you allergic to all those foods, but I must say, thank goodness Beer is not on that list!!!

just stumbled upon your blog... LOVE IT!