Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pilates

I have to admit that I always thought of Pilates as a workout that rich housewives did on their daily to do list; fitting it in after getting their morning lattes and before their afternoon manicures. It always seemed like a fluff workout that was a cross between stretching and sit-ups.  I never wanted to do them because I would be "wasting" a workout.  That really was my opinion...until I actually completed a class. My idea of Pilates could not have been more wrong.

My first thought this morning upon waking was panic as I was sure I was hit by a bus. Then I remembered....it was the Pilates class last night. It has not even been 12 hours since my class ended and already every muscle in my body is sore. I never knew I had muscles in my baby toes because even they are sore today.  I am dreading the late onset muscle soreness that day #2 brings!!!

To the Pilates Gods....I apologize for my judgmental view.  You showed me that this is not a workout for the faint of heart. 

My BFF and I are taking it together and thankfully we are about at the same level.....unflexible.  We made it through the hour without dying.  Although, we did shoot each other a few painful looks and grunted in pain a few times.  We decided that after all the hard work, we needed to cleanse our auras...... 

We went out for a beer. 




(Ha!  Nothing like defeating the purpose of a hard workout)

10 comments:

Carolina John said...

yea pilates is scary ab work. it rocks too hard core for me.

Jess said...

Pilates, like yoga, is tough!

But your description of lattes, pilates and manicures sounds like a fab day! Can I be a rich housewife if that's what my schedule would be like?

Heather said...

I used to think the same thing about pilates and yoga. Great job with the class!

Sarah said...

Pilates always kicks my butt and makes me realize my core strength stinks! :)

lindsay said...

lol. i have the same view of pilates, though haven't been run over by it yet. guess i need to step up to the plate! sure sounds like a good workout - and my core definitely needs one (or 100).

Lily on the Road said...

unflexible vs. inflexible, one is better than the other!!

RunToTheFinish said...

so true! i finally decided i could stop lifting weights because yoga and pilates was toning so well

Kristin said...

I've had both experiences "boring" pilates and "I can't breath without it hurting" pilates...glad you found a good one!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

pilates is tough.

Aka Alice said...

LOL at the sore baby toes.

Earned beer makes everything better!