Saturday, January 16, 2010

Emergency Rooms and Beer

Emergency Room
I had to take Diva to Children's Hospital today.  She has a minor cough for a couple of days.  This afternoon she went off on a major coughing fit that didn't quit.  I gave her a nebulizer treatment and she got WORSE.  I even took her outside in the cool air to see if that helped.  No luck.  After I exhausted every trick I knew at home, it was time to take her in.  She was coughing so hard in the car she was gagging really having a hard time getting her breath.  I pulled her out of the car and we ran into the ER.

As we sat down in triage, there was nothing.  Not a cough, not a sniffle.  There was just a happy go lucky toddler with a smile on her face.  The nurse asked why we were there and I told them.  They checked her lungs.  Fine.  They looked at me like I was nuts.  Finally she make a noise that sounded like a cough.  I gave them the "see she really is sick" look and I swear they wrote down "Mother is a looney" on her chart.

We waited to see the doctor and this toddler was climbing the walls!  She was dancing, she was running.  It was like she was on crack.  She opened the door and took off running down the hall.  The doctor came in and reaffirmed what the triage said.  "She is fine, lungs sound good".  "She probably just has a little cold."  We signed the discharge papers and we were outta there.....3 hours later.

I am still shaking my head at this afternoon's events but I am very relieved that there is nothing wrong with her.  I really do not get rattled too easily but today I was a little freaked out.

Beer
I am having one right now.  Lite beer of course.

(Days 7 and 8 Shred are DONE DONE DONE!)

12 comments:

April said...

Ah! Why does that always happen?! Hope your little one is feeling better!

Megsie said...

I hate that. I have had that happen before too, and I think there is just a check list and they check the "loony parent" box. Don't you wish you had video taped it? Beer...yes or possibly vodka.

Denise said...

Sorry, but I'm actually laughing. Figures it would stop as soon as you got to the ER!! Have another beer!

MCM Mama said...

Glad she's feeling better. Sorry you had to sit in the ER for 3 hours for nothing.

I'll forgive you for drinking a lite beer. LOL.

Diana said...

I'm surprised the visit was only 3 hours! Usually on a weekend, the ER wait time is up to 5 hours!
Glad all is well, for future reference, with a cough like that...turn the shower on to hot, let is run for like 5 minutes and close the door, let the room fill up with the hot steam and then put her in the room for a while to help relax those airways-way better than the cold air which tends to constrict the airways on most.

TNTcoach Ken said...

Better safe than sorry. Ah yes, beer is good....

Becca said...

I work in an ER and that happens all the time. Parents bring their kids in for vomiting or fever or whatever and when they come in there is no sign that anything is wrong with them. BUT, when it comes to kids you have to get it checked out! Glad the visit wasn't too horrible :)

lindsay said...

that's crazy! i'm glad she is ok... hope it doesn't happen again.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad all is ok! Figures though right? My car never makes "that noise" when I take it into the shop either! ugh.

RunToTheFinish said...

I think that's just how it goes... you feel awful until someone is ready to help then suddenly just fine

Jess said...

Hope the cough didn't return once you left!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Glad Diva is ok. Good job on Day 7 and 8