Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Gargle Your Heart!!!"

As if level one of Jillian Michaels Shred is not scary enough, during the cardio circuit of level two she yells:

"GARGLE YOUR HEART!"

DONE! Thanks Jillian.

This woman is going to be in my nightmares.  I can't imagine what level 3 is going to be like if level 2 is my vision of hell.  I survived.  Barely.  My arms are still shaking from this workout but I now I can say I have 11 Shred workouts under the belt!   (A new Chubby Chick record!)

Moving on to other things...
Yesterday I decided that it was time to dust off the Sauconies and start running again.  It was a beautiful day with temps in the 30's (at least it felt like it).  It was one of the rare days in the middle of a Minnesota winter that it was mild enough to spend some enjoyable time outdoors.  I would be an absolute fool not to take advantage and enjoy a decent January day.  So, I grabbed the iPod and I was out the door.


I started running after a 5 minute warm up and although I was sore, it felt really good to be out there.  The sun was shining and Lady Gaga was jamming on the iPod.  I thought to myself that I might be able to run the whole route without taking any walk breaks.

Then the next block came and every muscle in my body was screaming!  My knees, my calves, and even my abs were on fire!  Jillian's workouts are really kicking my ass!  It didn't help that the streets and sidewalks were a mix of slushy snow and ice.  Damn they were slick!!!

Thumbs up.  I was hurting but not dead!

OHHHH....and I biked 4 miles today at the gym.  That makes 2 days in a row with double workouts.  I got my first star on the calendar for getting to the gym this month, only 7 more to go to get my $20 health reward payback.   That reward sure makes it easy to go to the gym, especially when the membership ends up costing almost nothing.

Both yesterday and today were highly productive.  I just hope I can get out of bed tomorrow and have some use of my muscles.

16 comments:

Megsie said...

Holy crap Carly. You are amazing...DOUBLE workouts? I have not started any yet. This SHRED thing sounds like it hurts. But, you impress me with your "just do it" thing you've got going...very impressed indeed.

WannabeRunner said...

Awesome job!!! Totally admire you for getting out there in the cold. I'm such a wimp, i think of every excuse under the sun to not run if it is below 55 degrees. :P

MCM Mama said...

OK, Jillian is just scary! Way to get in some major workouts!

teacherwoman said...

Way to stay strong with Jillian and adding in all those other workouts! Wahoo!

mommie2lea said...

Wow, I am impressed! I have not ventured into Level 2 territory yet, let alone in any double-workout days! Woo-hoo!

Sarah said...

You are on a roll! Keep up the good work! I still have not made it past level one. :)

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
I am so jealous that you actually got to spend time outside today!! I had to work and by the time I get home it is usually 5:30PM to 5:45PM....kind of late and dark to go on a outside run. It sounds like you have been doing some big time training! Good for you:)

Jamoosh said...

Shouldn't you get stars for double workouts too? Just sayin'...

D10 said...

Carly!!!You are doing such a wonderful job. Keep working it girl.

lindsay said...

dang those workouts! get it carly! :)

umm. i totally do not get "gargle your heart"? wtf jillian? lol.

Carolina John said...

very good carly! getting the doubles in is not always easy! well done.

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

Yeah for not dead!!

Staci Dombroski said...

Way to go on the run!!! Love the picture with the thumbs up :-)

Megan said...

Congrats on all the good exercising you've been doing. You're brave running in the snowy icy slush. I'd be afraid I'd fall & bust my booty.

Meg said...

Oh man I haven't done the Shred in a while, but I never made it past level two. Jillian is amazing!

I wish I had your motivation with the running! I'm still scared of running outside in the cold.

Also, I'm looking for new running shoes, any suggestions?

Teamarcia said...

WTG on the workouts! And how cool are those health rewards??