Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Year, A New Approach

I wish everyone a Happy Healthy New Year!!!
Cheap wine,  a Snuggie, and my computer is how I spent New Year's Eve....I sure know how to P-A-R-T-Y! 


It is that time of the year where I start thinking about my New Year's Resolutions.  Every year, it is the same old, same old.....Lose weight and start running.  Resolutions for me clearly do not work.  I do well for a day or two and then things start to fall apart.   That is why this year I am not making them.  I am setting lifestyle goals instead.

I know my current plan of attack is not working.  I have had a lot of time to think about the causes of my failures on the program.  Hmmmm, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups for Breakfast?  As I have mentioned in previous post, I am a stress eater.  Even wiring my mouth shut couldn't keep me from soothing my soul with high calorie goodies when things go wrong.  I need to get control of my stress and find something else to do when the pressure is on.

I have been taking mental notes of my stress eating triggers.  Some things I can't do a darn thing about (ie...traffic, weather, Real Housewives of Orange County drama), but a lot of things I CAN control.  Many of my problems stem from a lack of organization and planning.  I can think of at least 10 things in my day that could be more manageable if I just gave it 5 minutes to come up with a plan. I came up with a few ideas that could help me manage my stress and eventually get me to my ultimate goals.

Carly's 2010 and Goals
  •  Plan, Plan, Plan!- I will make a list for everything from my daily to do list to my daily to do list to grocery shopping.  I have learned the hard way too many times that I have too much going not to have some sort of plan.
  • Practice the "3 D's" when I am feeling overwhelmed.  DEEP Breaths,  DRINK some water,  DO something different.- A friend of mine gave me this gem that seems like it would work when I get overwhelmed.
  • Get reimbursed for going to the gym EVERY month.  If I am too lazy to go to the gym 8 times in a month and pass up $20 there is something really wrong with me. 
  • Incorporate a  5 minute breather into a day.  I am constantly doing something and I think having a 5 minute chill to regroup will help me regroup.
  • Running-This has always been one the best ways for me to regroup.  I am a much better person when I run.  I do not have any mileage goals or PR goals, just some good old fashion endorphin therapy.
  • Continue to follow Weight Watchers and WORK THE PROGRAM!  
I have this list written out in a few places so I can remind myself of the changes I would like to make.

Other Items on the 2010 To Do List
  • Get a passport.  Am I the only one that doesn't have one?
  • Set aside $10/week for my "Forty is Fabulous" Italy Trip.  I still have a few years, but it is good to start early.
  • Organize, back-up, and PRINT personal photos.  This is funny considering I do all of this all of the time for other people.
  • Organize work email inbox.  Two jobs with two very big work loads = CHAOS!!!!
  • Potty Train and De-Pacifier Baby Diva-Yes, she is a 2.5 year old with a Nuk.  I stopped caring about that after 2 kids.....no judging please.
  • Read 6 books-I am using books as mine unwind time but I am a very slllloooooow reader.
  • Donate and sell all unused/outgrown items- Ha...already started as I have been a de-cluttering maniac!!
  • Spend more quality fun time with the family.-Cabin fever is already starting to set in.

I have a good feeling about 2010, I think it is going to be a great year!  I have a lot of work to do so  I had better get started.  I hope want to revisit this post at the end of December with a lot of things crossed off this list.

Happy New Year!

23 comments:

D10 said...

All great stuff Carly. Italy sounds fabulous.

MCM Mama said...

Good plans. I totally need to renew our passports this year and get Shoo a passport. I'm just lazy...

Happy New Year!

Carolina John said...

i hope you have a great 2010 Carly. It's going to be fun for me to watch you meet all of your lifestyle expectations.

i'll even make a deal with you. any time you need encouragement or advice on organization, you can run the plan by me on facebook or email and i promise to come up with a solution for you.

The first is your daily to-do list. Get a TOP BOUND spiral notebook so you can flip over a new page every day. Write today's date at the top with your daily tasks. Check off the tasks when you complete them. Tomorrow, flip the page and transfer any tasks that didn't get done today. you will get so sick of writing the same task day after day that you will eventually accomplish it. Plus you have a complete record of what you did every day. i've used that system for about 8 years now.

teacherwoman said...

All looks great! Happy New Year to you too!

Megsie said...

This sounds fantastic! I haven't put anything on paper yet, but I am reading everyone else's outlook for the new year and gaining so much insight! (Sarah, my FIRST born had her nuk until she was four, so there is no judgment from me.) I will be attending my first WW meeting in over a year on WEDNESDAY. Fun times. xo

RunningLaur said...

Yours is one of my favorite 2010 lists yet - you have so much good stuff! Good luck!!

Ann said...

Great list!!

WannabeRunner said...

Totally with you on the resolutions - i never stick to mine, so goals seem much more realistic to me.

PS. I don't have a passport, either!

Tony the Pink Panda said...

The reimbursement of 20 dollars is one reason why I go to the gym. Good luck with your goals this year :).

Heather said...

Great goals for 2010. My passport is expired . . .

Stephanie said...

You know, I find that when goals don't work it's cause you don't want to achieve them.
It's not as simple as that really. It's complicated and it takes time sorting out. Perhaps part of you feels you don't deserve to feel great. Perhaps the young part of you, the little kid inside, is scared to succeed and take responsibility. But I do suggest sitting with these ideas and reflecting on what could be impeding your progress.
Best of luck on your path to wellness!

BODA weight loss

Jess said...

Those are all great resolutions! I too need to actually PRINT some pics!

Lisa said...

best wishes on achieving your 2010 goals!

lindsay said...

great goals carly! i'm not a resolutions-person either, but i definitely set some goals each year. i need a little focus and feeling of accomplishment!

robinbb said...

I don't have a passport either, yet I continue to say I am going to get one. And I agree, Italy sounds wonderful, I may take your idea and start putting money away for a trip in the future.

Becca said...

I hear ya about the photos...we have gotten so used to digital photos we don't have actual pictures anymore! I need to add that to my "to do" list too!

Denise said...

I need my lists and plans, too! It's the only way I don't freak out. I'm really enjoying everyone's goals...I might steal a few from everyone and make my own list.

Aka Alice said...

Oooh...good reminder about the passport. I have to go check when mine expires...not that I'm planning on going anywhere, but you never know.

I love your goals Carly (and I really like Carolina John's suggestion about the top bound notebook...I used to use something like that at work, then I could always go back when I had to "remember" things). I wonder if there's a way for me to do that on my computer or phone...hmmmm

I never judge. Two kids was enough for me. I think anyone who has three is a saint, or crazy, or both :-). I didn't even attempt to potty train either one of my kids, just found a day care that would do it for me.

Simply Life said...

ha, I partied to by going to bed EARLY and finally getting a great night of sleep! :)

Deanna - The Unnatural Mother said...

2010 will be a GREAT YEAR!!!!! Awesome plans, you got it!

Tricia said...

Great plan to go a long with those goals.

And I need to potty train my 2 year old too.

Lily on the Road said...

So? Have you applied for your passport yet? Is there $10 set aside yet?

Do I hear Diva on the potty?

Just Kidding Carly...good luck with the resolutions...I don't even bother to try...shame on me!

Amanda said...

I need to get a handle on managing stress and preventing preventable stress by planning...if that made sense. Happy New Year!