Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Goodbye Gym

Decisions, Decisions.

I have weighed the pros and cons of my gym membership and I have come to the conclusion that I am giving it up.  Why?
  • I am not meeting my 8 time minimum visit requirement to get reimbursed the $20
  • My 20 minute workout is more of a hassle than what I get out of it
  • Lack of machines because of constant crowds
  • Classes have additional fees and are not convenient
  • Lunch is the only time I have available to use this gym
  • I have better things to do with my $31.74 that I am spending on this each month
  • I can't stand working out on a machine next to other sweaty people (someone else's sweat splattered me....gag)
I am not giving up working out.  I have decided to expand my workout DVD library, continue with Shred, and take individual classes (like Pilates).   Now that the weather is getting nicer, I am able to run outside.  I have never been a treadmill lover and I avoid them at all costs.

17 comments:

Staci Dombroski said...

I hate the constant crowds at the gym too! I have been contemplating giving up the gym too, but I have not come to a final decision yet :-)

Sarah said...

I just joined one and am also completely grossed out by just how much some people sweat. It is so gross to watch them dripping all over the machines. Luckily mine does have a ton of machines, so I never have to wait...that would be really annoying.

Tracey Kite said...

I am ready to give up my gym membership too. I used it to cross/weight train, but since I got the P90X dvd's I have not even gone to the gym in over 3 months. I get everything I need from running and P90X. You are right there are much better things to spend the money on!

Megan said...

That sounds reasonable to me. I don't belong to one because I'd only want to get to classes but they're never when I can get to them. No reason to waste money.

moni said...

Gotta do what you gotta do!! :)

Jess said...

Gross about the sweat-splatter! I'd quit too after that!

aron said...

i did the same thing and havent regretted it, i just wasnt ever going to see the benefit for paying the money. i love my home gym now!!

Jamoosh said...

Good for you! Do what you gotta do.

Jen said...

We may dump our membership too, come summer.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I could never give up my YMCA membership.... love it. I am most likely that person throwing sweat on the person next to me. oops

TinaGirl said...

Good for you! If you're not using it (or dread it) there is no reason you should be spending $ on it when you could buy a cute purse, or a new pair of jeans, or healthy food (or girl scout cookies!). I hate all the sweat from other people too. I'd rather run outside, even in the rain then on a "dreadmill".

Lesley said...

I feel like such a gym rat! I like my gym pretty much, though it's a pretty basic place with weights and cardio machines. It's open 24/7, though, even on holidays, and is less than 5 minutes from home. I also work out before work, so crowds aren't a problem--always something to work out on. Okay, I like the treadmill too. Or maybe it's that I like the air conditioning just a little. :)


I see your point, though. If I could only do the gym over lunch, I probably wouldn't bother either!

Diana said...

gym memberships??? what is that??? I carry my "gym" with me everywhere I go!!

Missy said...

I'm with you. Thankfully, I have a rec center where I can just drop in and pay a few bucks when I NEED.

Yous gonna be shredded!

lindsay said...

these are all the reasons why i don't like the gym... but sometimes i can get in a good routine and avoid most of these issues. mine doesn't reimburse though, boo!

the nice weather (hopefully coming soon) will def help with more alternatives. keep shredding it.

Ann said...

Sounds like a wise decision

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sounds like a valid decision.