Sunday, February 21, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up-A Book Review and a Secret

The last few weeks have been brutal at work and I am mentally exhausted.  I need to take a minute and just whine about work.  Work has been killer and the paperwork mountains keep building.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I have a job and I am very grateful to be employed but I am not gonna lie, office life is getting to me.  You know the old saying, "Shit rolls downhill" and I am at the bottom.  The only thing I can do is take deep breaths and keep plugging a long.  Thankfully, I had a great weekend with not much on the calendar recharge a bit.

This past weekend I read The Secret.  I have heard people talk about it, It has shown up on TV, and even Samantha in Sex in the City used it as a beach read.  I hate being left out of the loop, so I picked up this book from the library to see what all the hype has been about.  I am not much of a reader, but I do have to pick up books from time to time, that are hot "pop culture" reads just because sometimes I like following the herd (also getting reading to get my Twilight on).

I did a lot of eye rolling throughout the book.  If you haven't read it, it about the Law of Attraction.  Basically, my dumbed down version is if you think positive thoughts, you attract like things.  If you think negative thoughts, you are inviting negative things into your life.   I am sure there is more to it, but the book kept repeating the same thing over and over so I ended up reading the chapter summaries.

I didn't find the idea very earth shattering because most people already know that thoughts are powerful things and eventually become our actions.  I was expecting more of a REAL secret.  ha!
With that said, the book wasn't a complete waste of time, it is a good reminder that negative thoughts can end up being self-fulfilling prophecy that will sabotage any success.  The one part of the book that I am going to apply is visualize myself at my goal weight and live as though I am already there (I kind of am doing that already, but I need more practice). 

And now for my very own "Secret".....

I signed up for Grandma's Half Marathon.  Actually, I entered my name to be in the lottery.  I am sure I am going to get in because I visualized myself getting the acceptance email (a book technique from The Secret, ha!).   I know I said, NO MORE RACES.  But I am glutton for punishment and slightly insane.  I need to do this because I cut out everything that was keeping me insanely busy.  Now I need to do this for myself and have a fun goal to work towards.


Off and Running.......

22 comments:

Lisa said...

Best wishes getting into the half marathon!

Teamarcia said...

I always apply 'the Secret' when I'm looking for a good parking spot.

Congrats on signing up for Grandma's! Fun!

Megan said...

How come there's a lottery fo that marathon? I've only heard of first come first serve and qualifing?

Diana said...

That's why I'm not a fan of reading, it's too hard to concentrate page from page without the eyes rolling!
Good luck with the Marathon lottery!

Megsie said...

I am visualizing you running the race as well. Two must be better than one :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

I was irolling when I read you picked up the secret. But I'll visualize them picking your name out of the lottery, as well.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

I did actually like that book. For me it was more about not just thinking positive, but putting your emotions in to that and focusing on what you want versus what you don't, which is a strange distinction for some people.

ohhh Grandma's isn't that a toughie??

TNTcoach Ken said...

Don't let Oprah read your eye-rolling, ha! I'm sending positive vibes your way!

Marlene said...

That's great news about Grandma's! Congrats! Carly has her goove back....

I hope work settles down soon.

Erica said...

I was also rather disappointed in the book, I too thought earth shattering secrets where going to hit me after reading the book!

Great Job signing up for a race...maybe it was the way you choose to spin your universe this weekend...bwhahah

Have a great week!

moni said...

woo hoo! Good luck on your race and your training!

lifestudent said...

I'm feeling it too. Expect your acceptance notice soon :)

Sarah said...

Hope you get a spot!!! I haven't read that book...enjoyed your review. :)

MCM Mama said...

Sorry work sucks! Hope it settles down soon.

And fingers crossed for you and Grandma. ;o)

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
I loved the Twilight series of books and got on that train after my daughter was reading the first one!

I also signed up the for lottery for Grandma's half!! I hope that we both get selected:) I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us:)

Heather said...

I put in for Grandma's half too . . . hope we both get in!

Tamzin said...

Phew... I thought that you were going to start in on the "secret" for weight loos. Happy to see another person had the same opinion as me on that book. I always say, that if someone wants a positive book they should read The Alchemist.

Good Luck with your run!! We are watching your progress!! :D

Jamoosh said...

Grandmas - here you come!

Staci Dombroski said...

I hope you get in!! That would be a lot of fun!

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I hope you get into the marathon - you probably will now that you know "the secret!" Thanks for the review of the book - now I don't feel like I've missed anything!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Oooooh! Hope you get in! I smiled when I saw your fb status update about entering the lottery :)

lindsay said...

typical runner ;) "i'm not gonna... ok jk i am". fingers crossed!